Mystic Vale» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Mystic fail rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
NoFunAtAll
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
John Coltrane: My Favorite Things // Jackie Mclean: Swing Swang Swingin' // Clifford Jordan: Cliff Craft // Sam Rivers: Fuchsia Swing Song
mbmbmbmbmb
Straight out of the gate; I do not like the game and here is why:

I found the game to be very boring and the lack of player interaction or theme is painful.

"why did you find it boring?"

Aside from the card sleeving aspect (which is pretty gimmicky) I find no redeeming factor: The cards just aren't exciting and from round 1 I got the feeling that I was just racing to get the game over with so we could play something fun in stead.

There is no real feeling of agency or competition, you also do not get the feeling you are getting "stronger" or "better" throughout the game.

The push your luck aspect when "pushing" is the only time the game will get a bit of excitement but other than that I found it to be a repetitive slugfest.

"But what about the Card Crafting System, it looks so cool"

I will agree, it LOOKS cool. But in the end you are just putting cards in sleeves...
It even creates a big problem with the game: When shuffling your deck and drawing cards you can feel those thick and fully filled cards stick out between the empty cards in your deck. Having another player shuffle your deck might help mitigate that a bit.

Aside from that I reiterate, the gimmick gets boring pretty quickly

"What about the component quality?

The sleeves provided are fine and on par with the FFG tarrot sized sleeves (although those are a bit thicker I think). The card quality of your basic deck isn't great but because they need to be sleeved to play the game it isn't an issue.

The see-through plastic spell cards (which are the ones you will be buying and adding to your deck) are sturdy but mine warped as soon as they got out of their package and I haven't been able to get them straightened.
The pictures and symbols on the cards aren't very clear and I often found it difficult to read what was on the card, meaning we had to constantly pick up cards from the table to be able to read them.

The artwork is OK, I found it generic but that's just personal preference, someone else will likely find it beautiful.

I'm afraid that I fell for the hype so that's another lesson learned .

I recommend giving this game a hard pass until they figure out a game where they can put this single mechanic to good use in stead of trying to build an entire game around it.

(Before posting your angry reactions; Me disliking the game in no way means you aren't allowed to enjoy it, please take this review for what it is; my personal opinion which isn't important in any way, shape or form... but it just might help undecided people make up their mind )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah I appreciate your thoughts. I've bought a game on hype and felt "meh" afterwards. It happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven smolders
Belgium
Heist-op-den-Berg
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
Love to play boardgames with my family and spending time toghter
mbmbmbmbmb
Als je wil zou ik wel een spel met je ruilen mocht er iets op mijn trade lijst staan voor Mystic vale

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NoFunAtAll
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
John Coltrane: My Favorite Things // Jackie Mclean: Swing Swang Swingin' // Clifford Jordan: Cliff Craft // Sam Rivers: Fuchsia Swing Song
mbmbmbmbmb
wolverine1977 wrote:
Als je wil zou ik wel een spel met je ruilen mocht er iets op mijn trade lijst staan voor Mystic vale

Ik bekijk hem ff, verder contact via pm ;-).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Austin
Canada
flag msg tools
Don't have the game, but congrats for having the guts to write a negative review on the happy/positivity/lovefest that is BGG. So tired of the many well known reviewers/bloggers/fanatics that gush hearts over everything they buy/rate. We need more like you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's true you don't get to do anything too exciting during the game, but I'm glad they didn't go the Ascension way, where you get cards that get you tons of free cards and overpowered stuff.

As for me, I appreciate that there are three center lines, organized by advancement, plus two lines of Vale. It gives you a lot of options and you never feel stuck the way you do in other center row deckbuilders.
I like that the spells let you either get tons of cards during your planting phase, generate a ton of mana, get a lot of vales, or create powerful guardian cards.
The game is pretty simple at heart and that is the reason I like it for now. I loved the first Ascension because of how simple it is. I hate most of the expansions because of how poorly handled the new mechanics are in my opinion. Simple games make power turns meaningful. Mystic Vale is a simple game showing a newly created game mechanism, and that is exactly the reason why I have bought it: I want to see where card crafting comes from before trying the future games which will feature it.

I think there is a ton of improvements that can be made now. Your points are valid: the thickness of cards will be a problem with competitive gamers or tournaments. The artwork is difficult to see (although I enjoy it) and the guardian symbols are too easy to miss when harvesting if you cover the cards and only leave the blue side where mana/VP/decay/spirit symbols show.

On the other hand, I appreciate the new system, I like that there are two different lines for the different cards which require different resources (advancements, and vales). I like that you have 10 different advancements and 8 different vales you can purchase each turn. I like that there are cards that play around the push-your-luck mechanic, around the spirit symbol mechanic, and around the overall profusion of symbols on each card.

I think Mystic Vale is a rich but simple game that shows off its mechanic pretty well but is too limited. It might still see 50 plays as is (that's how many games it took me to want to add an expansion to Ascension).

It would not be much if its card crafting system wasn't first featured here. It could become a great game, depending on what they come with in expansions. But I fear that the other John D. Clair that's already planned and advertised in the rulebook will spoil (pun intended) Mystic Vale.

We'll see. I'm happy with my purchase, but that's because I didn't join the hype train. Just wanted to try something new, knowing it would be very simple

Although I fear that a 3-4 player game might be a complete snorefest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Angell
msg tools
Hmm. I've been teaching and demoing mystic vale for the past few weeks and the reception it's gotten has been quite positive. I do tend to stress the push your luck/race aspect of the game a lot. I make sure everyone understands how much of a clock a person who has crafted a good point scoring card is putting the table on and this has led to some entertaining moments with the table talking someone into a push they probably shouldn't have taken.

I think AEG is taking aim at the splendor crowd with mystic vale. People who play heavier games on a regular basis probably won't have enough to chew on
but families and those just starting out in the hobby will find mystic vale a good gateway/plus weight game to delve further into the hobby. My personal take is that mystic vale is a solid foundation and I'm excited to see what they build on topic that foundation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Big success for my group. So it gets a big thumbs up for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Watson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Pretty happy with it myself, but then I went in expecting a fairly standard Dominion style deck builder and by and large that's what I got. To be fair if you're a fan of deck builders the push your luck mechanic and the card crafting add just enough of a skew to be interesting, but if you're not already a fan of the genre there's not a lot there to change your mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Spellman
United States
Fishers
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the honesty. I kind of felt the same way but then two things happened:

1) I got several different plays in with several different outcomes

2) I played with some non-gamers.

I loved the concept and really got into crafting some powerful cards. More importantly each of the non-gamers I played with went over to the AEG Booth and bought the game. THAT is worth it's weight in gold...bring more people into gaming. One was my wife and I've been looking to find a way to bring gaming into home and this was it.

I got to speak with the designer on Saturday. very nice guy. Was VERY happy to hear about the non-gamers converting, he said that was one of his inspirations, to make an accessible game for non-gamers. He also has an expansion in the works and will be coming out with a new game using the mechanic next.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Burgess
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's also a big hit with my gaming group, there are more strategies than meet the eye after a play or two.

There is genuine excitement when someone pulls that carefully crafted card, which has taken a number of plays through the deck to get just right.
Or when your engine finally gets going to the point you can work through most of your deck in a single round.

I am looking forward to see where this game goes, and what others it will spawn.
Horses for courses though, so thanks for the review!

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the reviewer -- the thick cards made it very hard not to stack my own deck, pretty obvious which they were.

I wouldn't turn a game down, but I declined to buy. I predict this game will become fairly inexpensive in a year.

It's a neat idea. I just have enough games that have limited replayability.

The take down is really annoying, too -- unsleeving all those cards. I am too lazy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Hillier
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree as well. I've only played it once, but it was very boring. You bought cards that had more orbs on them so you could buy more cards. There was virtually zero combo potential, like you would find in most other deck builders.

We played just to get it over with.

Cool idea, boring execution. And yeah, big pain to tear down, much worse than Dominion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Frantz
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review.

I agree with many of the reviewer's points. This game just wasn't very fun. The card-sleeving mechanic is a gimmick, and once you get past that, it's just a game of symbol/resource collection and VP purchasing.

I also agree that the sleeves with multiple 'cards' in them are significantly thicker than the other cards, so it may be easy to tell whether a card is good or bad even when it's facedown. This is a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
Merlin
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with the reviewer. I bought the game, played once, and immediately sold it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Newhausen
United States
Loves Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Daybreak wrote:
There was virtually zero combo potential, like you would find in most other deck builders.

There's plenty of combo potential, as long as you define 'combo' as 'putting the cards with guardian symbols in the same sleeve as other cards with guardian symbols'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NoFunAtAll
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Armadillo Al wrote:
Daybreak wrote:
There was virtually zero combo potential, like you would find in most other deck builders.

There's plenty of combo potential, as long as you define 'combo' as 'putting the cards with guardian symbols in the same sleeve as other cards with guardian symbols'.

#snorefest snore

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan McManus
United States
Peosta
Iowa
flag msg tools
Evariste Galois (1811-1832) Rest in Peace
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with OP. Picked it up at Gencon, played once at hotel and couldn't wait for it to end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally busted into my copy and my group just loves it.
I've shown it to nearly a dozen people now and everyone found it engaging, visually stunning and very fun.

They love the push mechanic. My one friends favorite part is to do the math each round to figure out his chances of spoiling each turn.

The satisfaction of being able to drop over half your deck in one turn after getting the right advancements into it is very fun.

Clean up is way easier than I was lead to believe.

The card crafting mechanic is so fun, everyone loved the flexibility of buffing up cards spreading out advancements over multiple ones.

After hearing all the negitive comments, I was really nervous going in. But all those fears were allayed as soon as we started playing.
I think this game is an absolute gem and can not wait for the expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erwin Anciano
Philippines
flag msg tools
TheMonkeyBear wrote:
It's also a big hit with my gaming group, there are more strategies than meet the eye after a play or two.

There is genuine excitement when someone pulls that carefully crafted card, which has taken a number of plays through the deck to get just right.
Or when your engine finally gets going to the point you can work through most of your deck in a single round.

I am looking forward to see where this game goes, and what others it will spawn.

meeple

The main problem with this game is that there is only really ond strategy:

Thin your deck with green trees and other red tree mitigation effects.

While there are many different ways to create a VP engine, the core strategy that is necessary to win is thinning the deck with those mitigation cards, and some mitigation cards are clearly better than others.

Anyone who gets his hands on those bears, lifeseeds and even the grasslands is going to win, big time. So it comes down to who is lucky enough to get those cards when they come out.

As for targeting the Splendor crowd, this is definitely a gateway kind of game. I got it more because I wanted something to play with my GF, who dislikes complicated games and prefers things like Splendor. But it also obviously targets the Party Game crowd with the push mechanic. That's a 100% party game mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mochana wrote:
TheMonkeyBear wrote:

meeple

The main problem with this game is that there is only really ond strategy:

Thin your deck with green trees and other red tree mitigation effects.

While there are many different ways to create a VP engine, the core strategy that is necessary to win is thinning the deck with those mitigation cards, and some mitigation cards are clearly better than others.

Anyone who gets his hands on those bears, lifeseeds and even the grasslands is going to win, big time. So it comes down to who is lucky enough to get those cards when they come out.

As for targeting the Splendor crowd, this is definitely a gateway kind of game. I got it more because I wanted something to play with my GF, who dislikes complicated games and prefers things like Splendor. But it also obviously targets the Party Game crowd with the push mechanic. That's a 100% party game mechanic.

That's just wrong. In my first three game, I didn't bother thinning my deck at all, but merely went for early VP. My opponent purchased a lot of growth symbols and discard options, but fell behind in pure victory points terms, and I depleted the pool so fast that she couldn't come back.

Now, in my last two games, I did buy a lot of decay mitigation and won, but buy getting a lot of Vales both games. Fortunately enough for me, the VP cards were few, which means I did have time to get my engine going.

This game is more complicated than just "do that".

Moreover, what you say here could seem true for any other deckbuilder. Cull in Ascension, buy Gold in Dominion, play red in Star Realms... Culling is strong, but it's slow. You're basically trying to get into the long game, and your opponent can play around that you try and be fast. By playing a heavy power deck in Ascension, or playing the Blob faction in Star Realms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MajaiofDreams wrote:
After hearing all the negitive comments, I was really nervous going in. But all those fears were allayed as soon as we started playing.

What we have are a number of very vocal hardcore gamers wanting a deep strategic game, but finding instead a light game with subtle strategy. Either they miss the strategy the game has entirely, or dismiss it because, well, they're the 2010s version of grognards, and subtle is simply not deep enough for them.

I won't say this is a perfect game, and I doubt it's going to have the staying power that, say, Dominion or Catan had for us, and it's desperately crying out for an expansion to add a whole lot more variety than the game has presently. But it's also enjoyable, easily teachable (especially to non-gamers and casual gamers), and it's one of the few games I have that all my daughters will play, so that in and of itself is incredibly valuable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NoFunAtAll
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xelto wrote:
MajaiofDreams wrote:

What we have are a number of very vocal hardcore gamers wanting a deep strategic game, but finding instead a light game with subtle strategy. Either they miss the strategy the game has entirely, or dismiss it because, well, they're the 2010s version of grognards, and subtle is simply not deep enough for them.

I won't say this is a perfect game, and I doubt it's going to have the staying power that, say, Dominion or Catan had for us, and it's desperately crying out for an expansion to add a whole lot more variety than the game has presently. But it's also enjoyable, easily teachable (especially to non-gamers and casual gamers), and it's one of the few games I have that all my daughters will play, so that in and of itself is incredibly valuable.

Let's flip the table on that monstrocity of an argument; "what we have here are a number of very vocal casual gamers satisfied with surface level strategical options and hyped on the next big thing, desperately needing it to be great".

Same logic, same level of ignorance and insult... Doesn't really add anything to the discussion though does it?

I don't understand why you feel the need to dismiss negative feelings towards the game and subsequently insult us as being stuck up "hardcore gamers" (which is an idiotic term in and of itself). The way the game is being advertised and the terms they use to describe it in no way suggest this to be an entry level kids' first deckbuilder...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Gass
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Nofunatalll wrote:
The way the game is being advertised and the terms they use to describe it in no way suggest this to be an entry level kids' first deckbuilder...

It kinda was though wasn't it? It was created as an introduction to the card crafting system so they could release a more complicated game that used it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Flame112 wrote:
Nofunatalll wrote:
The way the game is being advertised and the terms they use to describe it in no way suggest this to be an entry level kids' first deckbuilder...

It kinda was though wasn't it? It was created as an introduction to the card crafting system so they could release a more complicated game that used it.

It was not labelled as a deeply strategic game, that's for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.