Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any info on the core mechanics of this game?

I ended up not enjoying blood rage because of the card drafting mechanic, which ultimately determined the game. It felt too luck dependent and random. I much preferred the set assymetrical powers of chaos in the old world, for example.

What does appeal to me in this game is the idea of negotiation and alliance, and hope that there will be a more open mechanism to upgrade powers (assuming it will contain something of that sort).

Also, dear CMON, please no more charging a big extra chunk to allow the full player count... Let the core game be complete, and save the extras for unnecessary bling!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it's a spiritual successor to Blood Rage, not just a retheme, so some mechanics WILL be different. What those mechanics are, though, no one can say yet.

I'm guessing the core mechanics will be mostly the same:
•Drafting cards
•Marching
•Pillaging
•etc. (They'll probably be called different things)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMT wrote:
Also, dear CMON, please no more charging a big extra chunk to allow the full player count... Let the core game be complete, and save the extras for unnecessary bling!

This is probably not something they can control easily. Board games are very cost-dependent on the components, so adding all of the extra components would have driven the price point above their target price point. Hitting that target price point is paramount, so they try and do the next best thing and offer you the extra player bits you want for a small fee.

The cost of producing all new packaging and distribution for the extra player bits is what jacks its price up above the 5-10 bucks extra it would have been in the base game, but that's the compromise they wanted to make.

For me, I would also prefer just having the full player count in the base game and would be happy to pay a little extra for it. I suppose you could launch a petition of some sort asking them to do so. There might be enough people that agree with us to change their minds. I don't know if that extra $10 difference is worth the hassle though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lang
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rising Sun is a completely new game. In fact, it only shares one (minor) mechanical element with Blood Rage.

Spiritual successor in this case means "same team, same box size, also mythological."

Eric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Pishnery
United States
Lakewood
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Mr. Eric Lang (above) was on the tail end of the BGG live stream yesterday and offered up a bunch of info:

• 3-6
• 90-120 minutes
• Demons for sure
• Seppuku for sure
• Kidnapping
• Alliance based
• Incentives for keeping/breaking alliances
• A Dishonor track that tracks when you break promises so there is a tangible downside to breaking alliances/backstabbing

That's all I can remember. Correct me if I'm wrong!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds right up my street
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So it's...not actually a spiritual successor to blood rage in any real way? That's actually kind of disappointing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mechanic wise hope to win together when in full alliance. Something similar to Eclipse with expansion. Also wishing non-static map, but afraid they use Japanese map as a gameboard. Already owning Shogun and Ikusa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Rush
msg tools
batanen wrote:
Mechanic wise hope to win together when in full alliance. Something similar to Eclipse with expansion. Also wishing non-static map, but afraid they use Japanese map as a gameboard. Already owning Shogun and Ikusa.

I doubt they will use a map of Japan. My guess, it will be an abstract map like Blood Rage, base roughly on some of the mythology.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
agentkuo wrote:
So it's...not actually a spiritual successor to blood rage in any real way? That's actually kind of disappointing.

I think the concept of spiritual successor is too loosely defined to make a statement like this, especially when we know so little about the game. It sounds like you're looking for straight up sequel,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.