36.5% of Goal | 26 Days Left

Support:

Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm so glad that I happened upon a reminder on a news headlines page, I've had so many other little projects and distractions going on that the Perseids had completely escaped my attention this year. You may read an article here, but here is a pull quote:

Quote:
"Forecasters are predicting a Perseid outburst this year with double normal rates on the night of August 11-12", Bill Cooke of NASA's Meteoroid Environments Office said in a statement. "Under perfect conditions, rates could soar to 200 meteors per hour."

Just to put that in perspective, in a regular year, we usually only get 80 meteors per hour during the Perseids.

Here's hoping for clear skies!

cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harmonica
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
Keep your lovin' brother happy!
mbmbmbmbmb
... and you don't have to live in a metropole. Those skyscrapers not only blocking views, but also send out too much light. And in Vegas you won't see much either. Best is the desert in Arizona of on the Prairie in Nebraska. Maybe it is somewhere near you.

Every year I try to remind myself to look up. Don't expect a spectacular light show. If you are lucky you see a quick trace in the sky. There are other meteor clouds as well, such as the Geminides around December 13th or the Bo-otides around January 4th.

Personally I am happy with a full moon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those of you that live around Eastern PA, there is a dark park (Cherry Springs State Park) for sky gazers that is perfect for this sort of thing. If you check out the park's calendar on the site, it will give you a list of events that are going on. I went up a few years back (during the shower) and they had some big telescopes out for people to look at planets. It was very cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I predict Triffids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
I predict Triffids.

thumbsup

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Amusing movie, great book!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to be pedantic but are the meteors coming to us, or is our orbit around the sun bringing us to them?
Wait-- that is pedantic. Sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pedantic - is that one of those things that measures how far you've walked?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Holt
England
Rayleigh
Essex
flag msg tools
This is not the cat you're looking for - some other cat maybe?
badge
tout passe, tout lasse, tout casse
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
Not to be pedantic but are the meteors coming to us, or is our orbit around the sun bringing us to them?
Wait-- that is pedantic. Sorry.

Albert Einstein wrote:
It's all relative

Spoiler (click to reveal)
It's the intersection of two elliptic orbits - one of which has a greater eccentricity than the other
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.