J V
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
A man, a plan:
badge
Anal Panama
mbmbmbmbmb
For those who don't like the "cut-throat" elements of the game, you can also make a nice cooperative optimization game out of this easily. Just play by the rules, but instead of trying to cut off the other player from useful buildings, both players should aim at maximizing their scores and that of the other player.
In the end, the cooperative score could be either the sum of both scores or maybe just the lower one in order to force an even distribution.

(This would of course work as a solo variant as well.)

In one of our normal games we had a score of 61:60, because there wasn't much need to "harm" each other that much, so I thought that if you did this on purpose, this could be interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
scott gurman
United States
Dubuque
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you ignore the army strength track then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J V
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
A man, a plan:
badge
Anal Panama
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't ignore any rules, so one player would probably try to get to 10 VP and then just stop. Remaining army buildings can be used to construct wonders or just sell them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
scott gurman
United States
Dubuque
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But you would ignore the effect that the game ends if someone hits 10, correct?

I think this is a great variant. Can't wait to try!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J V
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
A man, a plan:
badge
Anal Panama
mbmbmbmbmb
The game ends when the conflict pawn reaches the capital, not the 10 VP zone, so that should not be a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if I would call this a variant because isn't this applicable to almost every game where you play for points?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
emptyset wrote:
I don't know if I would call this a variant because isn't this applicable to almost every game where you play for points?

It does seem applicable to many games, but I'm not sure why that would disqualify it from being a variant, albeit a rather general-purpose one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J V
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
A man, a plan:
badge
Anal Panama
mbmbmbmbmb
emptyset wrote:

It sure doesn't change any rules, so it's more like a variation in playing style. But for me it works well in this game, while in many other VP games I can think of (say e.g. network building games) it sounds rather dull.

But yeah, it's nothing out of the ordinary imaginative
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I should clearify: It's not specifically a 7 Wonders: Duel variant because you could add it as a variant to almost any game. So it would make more sense to me to post it in another forum "higher up."

Not that I think it's not applicable to 7WD or that it's a bad variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.