Elder Sign: Gates of Arkham» Forums » Rules

Subject: Using older Ancient Ones in GoA rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fridrik Jonsson
Iceland
Reykjavik
flag msg tools
So, in Gates of Arkham the new Ancient Ones have gates on their track. Has anyone tried adding gates to the older Ancient Ones, changing their tracks? It seems like they wouldn't work well with this new mode of playing without them, as it's pretty integral to the experience.

I couldn't find anything in the rule booklet or the forums here about how to convert the old Ancient Ones. Seems like just using them as they are is a fairly cheap way to do it, as it'd be a rather different game than the new ones. Think a conversion must be a better idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mb
Old AOs work pretty well in GoA, even without the gate icon on their doomtrack. In GoA the real threat is represented by the locations and the Mythos deck.

Still, if you want to add gate icons on old AOs, you can simply treat the 1t, the 4th, the 7th, the 10th doom icon as being a gate icon. Or similar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fridrik Jonsson
Iceland
Reykjavik
flag msg tools
Ah, so no official stance or such. Decided to try adding stickers for gates to 3-5 (5 for Chthulu, because Chthulu should be hard) non-monster doom spaces on them. Going to try it out soon! I like my games difficult, so this is a must. Will comment on how it works out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't bother adding gates to the doom tracks. Just treat any effect that causes an other worlds adventure to be put into play as opening a gate. Works fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jujo Vee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Old AOs work fine without any gate icons. And I wouldn't call it cheap, especially when playing against Hastur, Yig or Tsathoggua.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Bailey
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gates of Arkham was designed to still be a good challenge against older AO's. Even without Gate icons GoA should produce enough Gates through Adventure and Mythos effects to put the pressure on. That said, I am always a fan of people house ruling and adapting their games, so if you want to add Gate icons to other Ancient Ones, go right ahead!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.