Firefly: The Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Solid with Badger rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Coxon
United States
flag msg tools
mb
I just noticed that Badger's ability to clear all warrants appears to be mandatory when you're solid with him. When discussing a different card in FAQ 4.1 p8, GF9 stated All special abilities are mandatory, unless they specifically say “may.” So if you have some outstanding warrants, and you are solid with Badger, can you still deal with him if you don't have the $1000?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Bocook
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Given that the rule for the Alliance Contact is "if you don't have $1000, pay what you have," I would say yes... you'll just have to give him whatever cash you have on hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The faq section you mention refers to crew abilities. Badger isn't crew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I believe the intent of Badger's ability is that if you are Solid with him, you may pay him 1000 - no more, no less - and he will smoothe over any and all Warrants you currently have.

If you have Warrants you want to go away, he will only do it once paid his full 1000.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
I believe the intent of Badger's ability is that if you are Solid with him, you may pay him 1000 - no more, no less - and he will smoothe over any and all Warrants you currently have.

If you have Warrants you want to go away, he will only do it once paid his full 1000.

This has always been my interpretation of it too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Stratford
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The difference is that a Contact has "special rules" and Crew have "special abilities". A contact's special rule is optional at the player's choice unless otherwise stated, e.g. Niska.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What they said. His ability is optional. The big thing is that you only ever pay him $1000 to clear ALL of your Warrants, where as the Alliance charges you $1000 PER Warrant. It can make a big difference to swing by him and have him settle things if you ever find yourself with multiple Warrants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Rather
msg tools
I'm going to throw this question out there, just out of curiosity:

How many warrants do you usually get during the course of a game?

I don't think I've ever had more that 2 at one time, or more than 3 in an entire game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
SaintExupery1 wrote:
How many warrants do you usually get during the course of a game?

I don't think I've ever had more that 2 at one time, or more than 3 in an entire game.

depends what kind of game. If you're playing the "Any Port in a Storm" story card, you're likely to rack up more than a few (each player starts with a warrant, and a warrant is issued whenever an illegal job is completed)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
During an average game, I get zero to one Warrants, but different folk play with different styles.

To be honest, there's a direct inverse correlation, in my opinion, between the usefulness of the contact abilities and the value in dealing with the contact to begin with (at least with the contacts from the core game).

HARKEN is the "worst" contact, with a limited array of low-paying, Legal Job, yet he has one of the most useful abilities, especially for an Outlaw Crew.

AMNON DUUL, next step up, has a very useful, but very situational ability. Under the right circumstances, he's a lifesaver, but it's a less flexible benefit than Harken's.

PATIENCE has a nice ability if you continue to deal with her, but it would have major impact on the game.

BADGER is, to me, the contact in the "sweet spot," best balancing risk and reward. Like the last two, his ability MIGHT help out -- but note that it's the first one that comes with a price.

NISKA offers the best paying jobs, but his ability is actually a drawback (once again indicating to me that Badger is the sweet spot).

EDIT: Good point, Jay. Some of the set-ups and story cards start you off at a deficit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Christianson
msg tools
mbmbmb
Out of the 25 (give or take) times I have played, I have never used Badger's ability, nor has anyone I have ever played with. It is pointless if you only have 1 warrant, because getting caught, will take it away for the same price. Usually, you only pick up 1 maybe 2 warrants in a game, like Gwek said, depending on play-style. So for many people I don't think his ability is very helpful. However, there are certain games in which it is handy. If the game is very very long, and you somehow rack up a lot of warrants, then I can see it as useful. But other than that, I prefer Harken's and Patience for the core game and Mr. Universe and Lord Harrow for the expansions.

But yeah, it doesn't make sense to force a Contact's Solid rule. The ONLY way you could argue Badger's specifically is because in the series, he refused to deal with them regarding the Alliance stamped protein bars, because a Firefly class ship was flagged by the Alliance on the Cortex. Therefore in the game, if Badger refuses to deal with someone with an active warrant then you would have to pay to get rid of it first. But this is a sketchy argument, so I stay on the side of "All Contact rules are optional unless otherwise stated (Niska)".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.