Subject: Other 2pl card games, partner doesn't like Jaipur :( rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
S Padilla

Kalamazoo
Michigan
msg tools
Hello,

I'm looking for suggestions on more 2pl+ card games. I've read the forums and listened to podcasts so I thought Jaipur would be the perfect game for us... but turns out my partner dislikes it soblue

Jaipur - HATES: too light, 3 rounds out stays welcome (we always end up playing just 1)

Can you recommend other games we should try out?

Here are others in our collection
Played games:
- Star Realms - LOVES, fast deck building, take that
- 7 Wonders Duel - LIKES, drafting, strategy (first intro to 7 wonders so still needing to learn icons, needs more plays, but definitely intrigues us )
- Biblios - EH, not sure if we are sold on games with auction phases

Not Played games:
- Android: Netrunner - Partner's choice!! Just need the time to dive into it!
- Splendor - Partner says it looks boring and has no interest

I've been thinking of trying:
- Battleline (think Lost cities will be too light)
- San Juan 2nd
- Race for the Galaxy (Partner dislikes rolling dice so no RftG, but might have issues with iconography learning curve)
- CoB: Card Game (Have not played big brother CoB)

Thoughts? Other suggestions?

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McGee
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Click to view this user's profile.
badge
Uncertainty and Innovation
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a similar thread I was reading just today, but if you think Battle Line looks like fun for you, then I think it's 100% worth a try. It's my most played 2 player game. (Fwiw, I play with no elephants or tactics cards, with 6 card hand limit, making it like other editions)

It's not going to be as complex at Netrunner, which is a plus in my opinion. I think it's equally deep, requiring you to make decisions in very difficult situations. I agree that it's a bit meatier than Lost Cities.

I also like Splendor, and play it mostly 2 player. If it looks boring, then it might not be for you, because it's very much what it seems to be. It just turns out that I enjoy what that is.

I've had hit or miss experiences with Race for the Galaxy. It's definitely lacking in interaction compared to the other games I've mentioned, and for 2 players, I think interaction makes things better. I think it's best suited for more than 2.

I haven't played San Juan or CoB Card Game, so I can't comment on those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
San Juan for 2-4 players
Mottainai for 2-3 players
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jill Reid
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Innovation Fast moving, lots of take that! Definitely not light, maybe in the same difficulty level as Race for the Galaxy.

We really like The Castles of Burgundy: The Card Game, but we also really like The Castles of Burgundy so this one was a no-brainer for us.

Battleline is very fun, but I think if Lost Cities is too light this one might be too.

San Juan and Race for the Galaxy play very similar. If the iconography worries you, go with San Juan. We like both but ended up trading Race away because we felt that San Juan was likely to get more plays. If you play a lot of Race you will catch on and remember the iconography. Our problem was owning too many games too fast to get them all played regularly; by the time we got back to Race, we felt a little lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jambo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RftG is one of my favorites games, so you can't go wrong there, although I do think it's more enjoyable with 3-4 players. The 2 player advanced rules do make the 2 player game considerably more interesting.

Maybe check out Revolver. I just recently played this and it's a fun, 2 player only, highly thematic hand management game. If you decide to try it, make sure to read/print the OFFICIAL FAQ; there's some fairly important rule corrections/clarifications in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle line and maybe traders of Osaka could be worthwhile. Traders is a lot more interesting than Jaipur as you don't just need to collect goods, you need to sink your opponents ships of goods if you can. This involves clever use of reserve tokens to block cards, and knowing when to buy the market.

Battle line is certainly the deepest card game on the list (far out striping Race, which for us was a terrible disappointment). My wife absolutely adores that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
San Juan is good with 2. It is better with 3-4, but - unlike most games that are only so-so with a low player count - the 2p game is actually pretty good. However, you'll probably need the expansion to increase the game's longevity. (I'm actually not quite sure whether bits of the expansion have been implemented in SJ 2nd ed.)

Another suggestion might be Hanabi. It is a fairly cheap game, and the cooperativity makes it quite a different experience than most other 2p games. It's hard to rate the weight of Hanabi against e.g. Jaipur, because it really depends on how you play it; basic hints are straightforward, but as you figure out more advanced hinting techniques the game can become quite complex (and very rewarding).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Knight
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My pedigree: I play mostly two player. I also love Star Realms and like 7 wonders duel.

We hated Jaipur, too. And think Splendor is merely one half of a good game at all player counts. Race For the Galaxy was fine for about a dozen plays.

So...

In addition to many fine suggestions here, I'll add
Dominion
Fleet
Targi
Guildhall

+1 for Jambo but as it's OOP, get Asante. It's the same game.

+1 for innovation
+1 for CoB
+1000 for Battle line

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gee Whiz wrote:
So...

In addition to many fine suggestions here, I'll add
Dominion
Fleet
Targi
Guildhall

+1 for Dominion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Ramble
United States
Newtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
+1 for Targi.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Witmer
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
My wife and I have never found a better two player card game than Up Front.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Def Targi

Surprised you don't like Biblios, we have introduced this game to so many people and it's been loved by all. We love auction games.

Battle line is awesome.

I would say morels but it has similarities to Jaipur. Deeper game imo.

Eminent domain is pretty awesome.

Splendor is really good two player. I wouldn't write it off without trying it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sleep l
msg tools
mbmbmb
+1 for San Juan

We don't hate Jaipur, but it's one I have to make an effort to get played - when we're in a card game mood, we're much more likely to play San Juan (Second Edition), or perhaps Valley of the Kings: Afterlife.

(And to answer one of the previous comments, the second edition does include the New Buildings expansion, although we haven't incorporated it yet.) There's also an excellent mobile app if you want to try before you buy. (That said, I haven't played Battle Line, RftG, or CoB:Card Game.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Padilla

Kalamazoo
Michigan
msg tools
holgerd wrote:

Another suggestion might be Hanabi. It is a fairly cheap game, and the cooperativity makes it quite a different experience than most other 2p games. It's hard to rate the weight of Hanabi against e.g. Jaipur, because it really depends on how you play it; basic hints are straightforward, but as you figure out more advanced hinting techniques the game can become quite complex (and very rewarding).

We love Hanabi! Forgot to mention it since we have the deluxe tile version. Shuffling the tiles, very tactile reminds me of mahjong!

It's probably our 2nd favorite co-op after Pandemic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Varboncouer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
+1 Battle Line: My wife's favorite 2 person game presently and she also does not like Jaipur.

Red7: I cant say much about it as I just got it delivered today. However, it has good ratings and is recommended for two.

If you like deckbuilders there are a bunch in the Legendary Family worth a look. My wife loves to play Legendary Marvel. There are a number of different themes so hopefully there might be something that interests you both. The franchises that are presently or soon to be available include Marvel, Alien, Predator, Firefly, and Big Trouble in Little China.

+1 for Valley of the Kings or Valley of the Kings: Afterlife: If she enjoys deckbuilding then these are cheap options with an interesting twist on the mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zee Deveel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn - Lots of fun, plays great out of the box and easily draftable.
Hero Realms - Star Realms fantasy version out soon.
Codex: Card-Time Strategy - This looks cool, out soon.
Eminent Domain - Awesome game, plays great with 2, expansion improves it greatly.
Mundus Novus - Bit of an advanced Jaipur with more interesting theme.
Innovation - Lots of replayability, lots of strategy, but quite dry.
Impulse - Card 4X
San Juan (second edition) - Economic engine game
Evolution: The Beginning - 2p Evolution, dinosaurs n shizzle
Race for the Galaxy - Good game, lots of replayability, but pretty dry an the graphic design is horrific
Asante - 2p trading game
7 Wonders Duel - I don't like it, but you might?
Arkham Horror: The Card Game - Out soon.
Android: Netrunner - Sci-fi LCG
Doomtown: Reloaded - Cowboy LCG
Warhammer 40,000: Conquest - Warhammer 40k LCG
Blue Moon - Weird card game that some people love

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
Telford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Peloponnes Card Game is fun with two.

If cards are essential you could try Castles of Burgandy the Card Game but the general consensus is, you can't beat the board version and both take up nearly the same amount of space when playing. The die rolls are easily mitigated and part of the strategy is keeping options open.

Race for the Galaxy is a great choice but I definitely recommend printing out a icon guide and having the game down pat before teaching.

San Juan and Race are similar but San Juan feels lighter to me (still heavier than Jaipur). Lost Cities is super light.

+1 for Targi, check out video plays

Glass Road isn't a really a pure card game but we really enjoy the card play. Among the Stars and expansions technically is a card game that also has drafting and a spatial element.

If German or paste ups aren't a problem: Kashgar: Händler der Seidenstraße is a quick fun triple deck builder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jānis Rudzītis
Latvia
Jūrmala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Famiglia
Jäger&Späher
Raptor
Port Royal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Collins
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Targi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elizabeth Nugent

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you looked at Patchwork?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Graves
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
If you have not played COB boardgame you should it is an awesome 2 player game and has just enough complexity. My wife and I still really like COB and it was our first thinky game.

Spender is a good abstract type game
San Jaun 2nd edition is a good economic engine game
Traders of Osaka is pretty good and has unique mechanics
All three are quite a bit heavier than Jaipur

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.