Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know 1e had themes like suicide and such. Does anyone know if 2e (at least the first scenario) has any such subject matter?...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played the first scenario solo this morning, and I would not let my 9 year old play, it has adult themes, not just in the scenarios, but also just in the card's text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG say "Ages 14+" here FWIW...
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/mansions-of-m...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
As with everything else I would say it is up to the parents to find out and make the decision on whether it is appropriate for their child to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bell
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pudsy wrote:

Listed age recommendations on boardgames has almost nothing to do with subject matter, and is almost exclusively based on how easy to swallow the components are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I never fully trust age recommendations on the box, the fact it is 14+ as opposed to 12+ (which I find the "usual" age recommendation) gives me pause.

While I was hoping to include him in the first play, I will likely play through without him first to see...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Over 50 Gamer
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
MEOW!
mbmbmbmbmb
It can be quite intense. On my first play I came across
Spoiler (click to reveal)
a witch that slit a cats neck and poured its blood into a chalice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel Øberg
Denmark
Virum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Petdoc wrote:
It can be quite intense. On my first play I came across
Spoiler (click to reveal)
a witch that slit a cats neck and poured its blood into a chalice

So this doesn't happen in your public school? Apparently only in mine then...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So is it only app based text that has inappropriate content, or do some of the Insane cards (or other cards) have inappropriate things (I'd like to not look through all the cards, but I can if needed.)?

If he can't see the screen, could I feasibly read (and edit as reading) the text for both of us?...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the cards have inappropriate text too. From the ones I've seen anyway. I've only played one scenario - Escape from Innsmouth.

Perhaps play a solo game first and then you'd be able to better judge if you feel it would be ok for your child to play. As well as how much you could 'edit' from him reading/hearing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ParisPink wrote:
Some of the cards have inappropriate text too. From the ones I've seen anyway. I've only played one scenario - Escape from Innsmouth.

Perhaps play a solo game first and then you'd be able to better judge if you feel it would be ok for your child to play. As well as how much you could 'edit' from him reading/hearing.

Was it mainly Insanity cards? If you can tell me which type(s) maybe I can prescreen/pull some cards...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chipacabra wrote:
Pudsy wrote:

Listed age recommendations on boardgames has almost nothing to do with subject matter, and is almost exclusively based on how easy to swallow the components are.

That doesn't sound right to me. That may factor into the children's games once that ratings get above age 5 or so, I think it is based more on game complexity than anything else. I don't believe that there is much difference in the likelihood of a 13 year old or a 14 year old trying to ingest game components but I have both of those ratings on my shelf.

I suspect that since there is no governing body for game age ratings, each publisher probably does it differently. I don't know if theme factors in much or not. FWIW, both Scythe and MoM are rated 14+ and MoM's theme is certainly more dark than Scythe's and I doubt Scythe is more complex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kbieb wrote:
Chipacabra wrote:
Pudsy wrote:

That doesn't sound right to me. That may factor into the children's games once that ratings get above age 5 or so, I think it is based more on game complexity than anything else. I don't believe that there is much difference in the likelihood of a 13 year old or a 14 year old trying to ingest game components but I have both of those ratings on my shelf.

I suspect that since there is no governing body for game age ratings, each publisher probably does it differently. I don't know if theme factors in much or not. FWIW, both Scythe and MoM are rated 14+ and MoM's theme is certainly more dark than Scythe's and I doubt Scythe is more complex.

Well the testing for the choking hazard label on board games is mega expensive, and it's often easier to just skip it and put a higher age range on the box.

But I would say the 14+ is pretty accurate based on the content I've encountered so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.