Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Bauer
United States
Horseheads
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sure most of you have played the Fantasy Adventure books with page turning, pencil, paper, and dice. I was wondering if there is a WW2 (or any war genre) adventure book along the same lines?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Vindolanda
Britannia
flag msg tools
Moby Dick seeks thee not. It is thou, thou, that madly seekest him!
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bauer
United States
Horseheads
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I'll look into these. Have you tried them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Like Fighting Fantasy or Lone Wolf?

There are the books by John F. Antal about modern (in the early 90's) combat. I have three (all of them?) but only read/played the first (Armor Attacks: The Tank Platoon. More education than entertainment or adventure. Long paragraphs of text describing some tactical situation and then you get a choice of what to do. Found it very difficult, but then I have no real training in how to run a tank platoon.

EDIT: Oh ninja

Have The Last Invasion: 1066 from a series called Real Life Gamebooks that are all about historical adventures. However I did not like that book much. I had to cheat a lot because you have to roll dice so well I can't believe anyone ever got through that book without cheating ever. Also just not very well written and the story is not that interesting and choices are quite bad with many dead-ends. So I never tried to track down the other books in that series, but at least one of them looks like it might be a ww2 adventure: Through the Wire: The Great Escape so that might be something worth looking up. With some luck it is better than the 1066 book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Vindolanda
Britannia
flag msg tools
Moby Dick seeks thee not. It is thou, thou, that madly seekest him!
mbmbmbmbmb
dwbgamer wrote:
Thanks! I'll look into these. Have you tried them?
Three or four times each before throwing away in frustration. Realized I had no idea in real tactics; luckily, they were library books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bauer
United States
Horseheads
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A person left a review of "The Great Escape" and added the following:

"I've loved game books such as FF and other great ones too since I was in high school (and that was a long,long time ago),and as great as those were,i always had wondered why nobody ever did any military style game books.I finally found this here on Amazon as was really pleased with it's take on the WW2 adventure it provided.Though it is aimed at teen readers,it was still a refreshing take on this very rare medium.I've scoured every source that I could to locate similar classic military game books (WWII,Vietnam,Modern),and these as far as I'm aware the only ten that are out there:
(1)Through the Wire:The Great Escape-"As a prisoner of war in a Nazi camp,you must find a way to escape"-Ages-8+ / 2 dice / 157 pages
(2)Combat Team: The Captain's War-"You are the hero of this unique interactive fiction"-Real Life Simulation / No dice / 370 pages
(3)Armor Attacks: The Tank Platoon-"You are the hero of this unique interactive fiction"-Real Life Simulation / No dice / 333 pages
(4)Infantry Combat: The Rifle Platoon-"You are the hero of this unique interactive fiction"-Real Life Simulation / No dice / 365 pages
(5)Viet Rampage-"You are John Strong...sent to find a satellite that crashed in vietnam"-Ages Teen / 2 dice / 190 pages
(6)Blast out in Lebannon-"You are Jason Malone....infiltrate Beirut,Lebannon..."-Ages Teen / 2 dice / 190 pages
(7)Mission to World War II-"It is the year 1940,You have traveled back to Europe during World War II"-Ages Teen /No dice / 125 pages
(8)World War II Code Breaker-"It is the year 1941,You have traveled back in time to World War II"-Ages Teen / No dice / 159 pages
(9)Battleground General:El Alamein 1942-Ages Real Life Simulation / No dice / 174 pages
(10)Battleground General:Arrnhem 1944-Ages Real Life Simulation / No dice / 166 pages"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Maes
Belgium
Mechelen
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for asking.

Had to order myself a copy of 'Infantry Combat'.

I wondered if something like this could scratch the solo wargamer itch.
Guess I'll find out in a couple of weeks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bauer
United States
Horseheads
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just ordered a couple titles myself. Viet Rampage, and the 2 Battleground General books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Badger
England
London
Enfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking this exact thing a couple of days ago, and here's the answer already. I didn't even have to post the question. That's how great you guys are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THE MAVERICK
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
mb
The Sniper Adventure Gamebooks series primarily involved modern settings but it also included a WWII book:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THE MAVERICK
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
mb
These both have BGG entries:

As does a third gamebook style design from Antal:

Main links:

Armor Attacks: The Tank Platoon
Infantry Combat: The Rifle Platoon
Combat Team: The Captains' War
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bauer
United States
Horseheads
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I saw a bunch of these "SNIPER" titles and picked up a Vietnam book. The reviewer said there was much M16 shooting and blowing up involved.

Wanted to add a quote from previous entry but forgot how to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Latvaitis
United States
Peoria Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
Geekmail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
and similar but on iOS, just reviewed by Pocket Tactics:

http://www.pockettactics.com/reviews/review-hearts-of-iron-w...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haverty
United States
Owasso
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
To those who just ordered some of these... please report back how you liked them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bauer
United States
Horseheads
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joelat713 wrote:
and similar but on iOS, just reviewed by Pocket Tactics:

http://www.pockettactics.com/reviews/review-hearts-of-iron-w...

Looks interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Ludwig

Remetschwil
Schweiz
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Garth Ennis War story graphic novels
http://www.avatarpress.com/2016/05/war-stories-18-concludes-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bauer
United States
Horseheads
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Muramasa84 wrote:

Not what I was looking for but these look really good. I saved them on my Amazon wish list. A bunch of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Fung
United States
Old Greenwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The Maverick wrote:
The Sniper Adventure Gamebooks series primarily involved modern settings but it also included a WWII book:

He ain't no sniper if he's got an MP40.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THE MAVERICK
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
mb
calvinboy24 wrote:
The Maverick wrote:

He ain't no sniper if he's got an MP40.

Hey, any port in a storm! ;-)

Actually, the Sniper name stems from the old Sniper/Patrol tactical game system from SPI:

The Sniper! (tm)* gamebooks were TSR products. The Sniper! (tm)* brand name was also used for a number of TSR board games and expansions that were released after TSR bought SPI.

The gamebooks did not use the Sniper! (tm)* game system however, just the brand name...

* Obligatory TSR trademark references tossed in! Remember all of those tm's we had to read through back then???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.