Subject: Few night questions (Interrrogation, Straying) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Miroslav Dráb
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi all,
we started our first night scenario and revealed few questions under cover of darkness.

+Can Cloaked unit be revealed via interrogation?
+Is straying dr made on every hex entered? Or on the first hex qualified for straying only?

Thanks in advence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
It's sooo Hot out here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Not an expert on NIGHT...

So, after reading...

Straying DR at beginning of its MPH.

It will either be subject to straying or not.
If straying, it will move in a Random direction to the extent of its capabilities...with a couple of details ending its stray etc. But will continue to move in that direction...

CLOAKED E1.4 A cloaked counter has all of the characteristics of a ? but with special benefits..

So, I'd treat them accordingly.

just my $.02

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hanna
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Read these rules. The answers are clear in the rulebook, as you can easily see:

1) 1.4 CLOAKING: Only the Scenario Attacker uses Cloaking. A Cloaking counter is a "?" of any nationality not in play, and has all the characteristics of a "?" plus certain special benefits. Cloaked units are always concealed, but concealed units are not necessarily Cloaked. All rules pertaining to "?" apply to Cloaking counters except as specified otherwise herein.

2) 1.53 STRAYING: At the start of its MPh, each onboard ground unit or stack wishing to move to a new hex in that MPh [EXC: 1.531] must first make a Movement DR (Δ). If the colored dr of the Movement DR is a 6, that unit/stack is subject to Straying; otherwise, it can move normally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klas Malmstrom
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The Movement DR is made in the first hex where none of the exceptions apply. Which might not be at the start of the MPh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hanna
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
but never every hex entered, which was the point of the OP question. This is just another example of players using BGG to dig up the rules instead of reading them carefully on their own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klas Malmstrom
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Honosbinda wrote:
but never every hex entered, which was the point of the OP question.

Agreed.

And it is technically when one wants to exit a hex the DR is made, but I think most knew that already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
klasmalmstrom wrote:
The Movement DR is made in the first hex where none of the exceptions apply. Which might not be at the start of the MPh.

Right this is the 1.531 EXC...

Not that I can get technical with you Klas, but if a unit wishes to move to a new hex in its MPh, must roll at the start of it's Mph

153 STRAYING:
At the start of its MPh, each onboard ground unit or
stack wishing to move to a new hex in that MPh must first make a Movement DR .... A unit/stack that must Stray immediately makes a Straying DR, If insufficient MF/MP are available to Stray at least one hex in the indicated direction without..., the
Strayer instead becomes TI in its present Location.

So, You could GAME around this Stray.
1. I "wish" to move to OG i.e. only needing 1MF to get there.
2. I stray at the start of its MPh.
3. I attempt smoke in a woods, and then drop/attempt recovery of a sw I possess, leaving me with only 1MF remaining...thereby, maintaining my position albeit TI...but I'm thinking that doesn't matter since no one will be coming to get you...IF you wanted to do such a thing.... I guess you could always BURN MF with the Smoke attmpt dr and then move the one hex in that direction...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honosbinda wrote:
but never every hex entered, which was the point of the OP question. This is just another example of players using BGG to dig up the rules instead of reading them carefully on their own.

True, but you must admit...Someone explaining them to you in English helps just a little...or maybe in the OP's case...in his native tongue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klas Malmstrom
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ASLChampion wrote:
Not that I can get technical with you Klas, but if a unit wishes to move to a new hex in its MPh, must roll at the start of it's Mph

Not necessarily.

E1.53:
"At the start of its MPh, each onboard ground unit or stack wishing to move to a new hex in that MPh [EXC: 1.531] must first make a Movement DR (Δ)...."

I.e., if one of the conditions/exceptions in rule E1.531 applies in the hex I start in, I do not have to make a Movement DR. E.g., I am on a road and move only along road hexes - no need for a Movement DR at all then.

E1.531:
" A unit or stack that, at the start of its MPh, wishes to enter a sewer/tunnel, or move within the same hex or along a TB, or can see a Known enemy unit, or is currently on or ADJACENT to a trench/bunker/road/path/gully/stream/river bank or Illuminated Location, does not make a Movement DR until such time as it is no longer in or ADJACENT to such terrain (at which point it must immediately make a Movement DR if still moving)...."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hanna
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ASLChampion wrote:

True, but you must admit...Someone explaining them to you in English helps just a little...or maybe in the OP's case...in his native tongue.

That's a very good point but at the end of the day people still have to know some English to get an explanation in English. Finding the right words requires a dialogue, trust me, I teach ESL to Europeans.

The English in this case is pretty good to start, but it is easy to be fooled because these online translators can make you think the English is a lot better than it really is. All that being said, there is no way in the world I could offer an explanation in many other native tongues so kudos to those who can

I'm not sure if it's the awkward wording of chapter E causing these linear questions to arise? Neither of these rules are that tricky to figure out. Cloaking is treated as concealed; the straying DR is only for the first qualified hex. The OP understands the exceptions well enough, but doesn't pick up that nowhere is it said that the roll must be made in each hex. A case of rules over-complication.

One of the reasons computer video games are going to weaken the market penetration of ASL, unless and until that official PDF is provided so that people of various languages can use Google to translate it. For example, Europa Universalis IV is available as a download in 4 languages. I saw in the last marketing email from MMP once again hinting at the PDF blaming the developer running off (ten years ago or whatever), with no release date offered so it's still on the back-left-most burner to get this crucial project done. Too bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miroslav Dráb
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks everyone. After another rereading of the rules, it seems pretty clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes an ASL player only needs closure on what he thought he understood. We're here to help each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.