Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » Rules

Subject: What if two investigators have the same stat. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
So during my first play today I came across a Mythos event that said it affected the investigator with the highest observation. Problem was that two of our investigators both had an observation of 4 (the highest). I couldn't find anything in the reference book at the time but what do you do in that situation? Do you choose who it affects, or do both investigators get hit by the mythos effect?

In the interest of time since I kept going back and forth through the reference book during that moment, we opted that both of us should take the test.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Horner
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only one investigator is affected. The invesitgators choose. If the investigators disagree, you choose randomly (see the Conflicts section of the rules reference).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
vincentdante wrote:
So during my first play today I came across a Mythos event that said it affected the investigator with the highest observation. Problem was that two of our investigators both had an observation of 4 (the highest). I couldn't find anything in the reference book at the time but what do you do in that situation? Do you choose who it affects, or do both investigators get hit by the mythos effect?

In the interest of time since I kept going back and forth through the reference book during that moment, we opted that both of us should take the test.

Rules Reference, page 2 wrote:
Conflicts
During the game, some game effects may lead to conflicts within the
game or between the investigators.
* It is possible for a game effect to have more than one possible
outcome. In such a case, investigators as a group determine the
outcome of that effect.

The players, as a group, decides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanks guys, it was right at the start and here was me looking at all the event related sections lol, oh well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrek Kyzar
United States
Ponchatoula
LA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Back when the first co-op Descent scenario came out (Forgotten Souls) the rules specifically said that when there was a choice between 2 chars, to choose the one that is the worst for the player. So if one char was closer to death than the other, the game would chose the one that was nearer to death to attack, etc.

I haven't seen that particular rule in any other FFG co-op game (Road to Legend app, Mansions of Madness), but I still tend to play that way. The app is the DM/Keeper/whatever and it should choose what's best for it and not you.

That being said, this is the best way that you can 'adjust' the difficulty of the scenario by going with the stated rule of 'players decide'. My way certainly makes it harder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.