Star Trek: Fleet Captains» Forums » General

Subject: A Klingon-Federation Rugby Scrum rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
gary johnson

Raymore
Missouri
msg tools
I'm a new player. Just bought the game. I've been reading the rules and playing through a couple games before I introduce it to my wife and daughter. And I've been encountering a situation ... that I don't see how to avoid. So I'm looking for some insights from people who have played the game quite a few times.

Here is the situation:
At the beginning of the game, the Federation scores points fairly easily with science missions. But it's just a matter of time before the Klingons make it across the board. And once the Klingons arrive, game play resembles a rugby scrum, with several ships packed together, trading combat rounds. This style of play favors the Klingons. Their command cards are heavily weighted for combat. So once the Klingons arrive, the Federation struggles to score points. (But maybe the Federation acquired enough of a lead from science missions at the beginning of the game that they hang on to win. For a 10-victory-point game, the game feels fairly balanced.)

I know my wife and daughter will cringe in horror to see the Klingons closing in on their positions (yeah, I'm certain they'll insist on playing the Federation). And once the game becomes a rugby scrum, where they're getting harried every turn by the Klingons ... they'll back away from the table and refuse to continue playing. (I can hear my wife saying, "I don't like it. I don't like it.")

And frankly, I won't blame them a bit. Once the Klingons arrive and begin their onslaught, my interest in the game starts to wane also. The game play becomes fairly repetitive.

Why wouldn't the Klingons ALWAYS make a beeline across the board and start a never-ending attack? How can you prevent a Klingon-Federation game from become a rugby scrum?

Please, tell me the game offers greater variety to game play! I've spent too much money on this game to see it collecting dust on the shelf.

But seriously, don't the Klingons always make a beeline across the board and force combat? What can the Federation do to prevent this from happening?

I also bought the Romulan expansion (but haven't played it yet). Maybe the expansion offers more variety to game play because playing the Romulans requires more than combat. Maybe?

Best,
Gary Johnson

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashen von Ragend
Austria
Wien / Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like the feds have a much stronger position. Granted, their ships are a little weaker combat wise, but way ahead with scan (? Cant remember the correct term) actions/points. Which in my experience leads to feds having an advantage in a standard game. They can easily complete a few missions before the klingons even get close. When they have closed in, the feds may still manage to sustain and trade a few hits. All the while they can use one or two ships to bind enemy forces, while other ships complete missions. And even if they lose the first ship, they benefit from it, as they gain an additional fleet point and the klingon player probably has no other targets nearby, if the fed player did well. The klingon player on the other hand has almost no other chance than trying to chase the fed, as they can only hope to win by completing combat missions.

If feel that the game starts to even out the factions at 15 vp...then the klingons and feds have an equal chance to win. The longer gametime helps klingons to close in, while reduces the chance of the feds for pulling off a lucky win by a good combination of missions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh J Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is the best plan for the Klingons to actually have a chance to win. However in my group we've kept a logbook of our over 50 games and mark down the score breakdown by player and how won, and the Klingons in our group have a win % of less that 30.

The Federation has many cards that outright cancel combat, and even if they do end up getting tied down in a battle they have very good combat cards and there size 4 and up ships are just as good if not better than most of the Klingon ships.

Your best bet if you do not want it to turn into a battle every time non stop is to open up your Romulan expansion. Their ships are on par with the Federations so they are balanced and most of their missions are based around espionage and influence. I've even had a game Roms vs Feds that ended with only one short skirmish, the rest was all cloaking and espionage shenanigans from the Romulans. I remember in that game the Federation player actually was looking to fight the Romulans (me) but I just kept cloaking and melting away.

One more thing about Romulans, they balance well with the Federation. To reveal a cloaked token you must pass a 15 sensor test, this is well within the abilities of every federation ships. However the Klingons are seriously handicapped against the Romulans, to put it bluntly all Klingon ships have worthless sensors For most Klingon ships it's impossible to pass a 15 sensor test. If you do end up getting stuck playing Klingons against Romulans always draft the 'Science of War' deck as one of your four deck choices as it is the only Klingon deck that has sensor test boosting cards and sensor boosting crew. Also do not forget that you can do combined sensor test with multiple ships, it cost more than one action but if you're falling behind in points because of a cloaked Romulan ship that you are desperate to destroy, it's likely your only hope of revealing them as Klingons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K A
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sputnik Monroe wrote:
That is the best plan for the Klingons to actually have a chance to win. However in my group we've kept a logbook of our over 50 games and mark down the score breakdown by player and how won, and the Klingons in our group have a win % of less that 30.

Is this win percentage with standard board setup and playing to 10? Would playing to a higher total balance things more to give the Klingons more time for combat points? How about widening the playing area to bring the forces into contact sooner? This is good to know though for handicapping the more experienced player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Robb
United States
Calais
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Let me recommend Star Trek Fleet Captains Face Book page
You can become a member for free

There you can get fan home made (but professional) expansions that your wife and family might enjoy.

These expansions come with 100 cards for each faction (you would have to get the extra plastic ships on your own)
There are also ship cards and new hexes to explore as well as new Encounter cards

You can play the

Orion (good female-based faction)
Vulcan (earn points by avoiding combat and getting science)
Gorn (straight out combat - the Gorn do not retreat)
Ferengi (earn VP's through economic ways and Influence)
Star Trek Mirror Universe (the original series evil twins)
Borg (there is a NPC and the Borg as a player cards)
the NPC Borg are really cool as they fly around the galaxy at random
Doomsday Machine (NPC only)

Of course, if you have the Romulan and Dominion expansions, you can have quite a selection to pick from!

There are also expansions hexes for the Delta Quadrant (yes, you too can get lost in the Delta Quadrant from Voyager, but you can still score VP's while you find your way home!)

At this site you can download the files for free, it is up to you how much bother and expense you wish to go through to create your own hexes and cards and whether you want to buy more plastic Heroclix ships or not

There are only about 3 or 4 Heroclix Vulcan, Ferengi, Gorn, etc. ships available to buy on the internet, however you can always get extras (that's what we did) and just give them different names

We have played all of these races (factions) and enjoyed them all. They all play a bit differently, for example, the Vulcans try for science VP's of course, but they also can score influence for helping others and by actually preventing some combats. The Orion are sneaky, tricky sabotage oriented similar to the Romulans. The Borg non-player cube flies around the hexes randomly and you never know when you might have to deal with them - for example, they attack you if they are in an adjacent hex.

Great fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary johnson

Raymore
Missouri
msg tools
Thanks, Hugh, for your remarks about the Romulan expansion. It sounds like the Romulans will work better with my family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary johnson

Raymore
Missouri
msg tools
Thanks, Thomas, for your remarks about the Facebook group. But you know what? I first tried to join that group several days ago, but my join requests have not been answered. Maybe the group moderator isn't watching join requests right now?

But yes, it sounds like the group has produced content that will make this game more playable by my family. Maybe?

If anyone out there is a member of the Facebook group ... help! I've sent several join requests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary johnson

Raymore
Missouri
msg tools
Last night, I tried the Romulan expansion. It seems to solve the problem that I described regarding Klingon vs. Federation games. When playing the Romulans, a player has less reason to rush across the board and force a confrontation. In fact, the Romulan player might even choose to avoid combat, depending on the ships and missions that they drew. This will work much better with my family. But if the game can be played as an exploration game, thanks to the Romulans, then I should be able to get my family to play. For example, my wife loves the Firefly game. But while we own the Pirates and Bounty Hunters expansion, I've never convinced her to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.