$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 117.99

7,149 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
45.1% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: solo with 1 or 2 characters? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vadim Golembo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So is solo played with a single investigator or
do you need to manage multiple?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Clausing
United States
Winfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Play 2 at least.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure you can play one investigator.. There doesn't seem to be any reason why you couldn't based on the gameplay seen so far, and I doubt they would put 1-2 player on the box if they really intended that "1 player" means just taking the role of both players..
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what we've seen so far I thought solo with one character looked pretty manageable. Now it very well might be the case where some characters can't investigate very well or fight very well so they could find themselves in tricky situations. But that's why you have a deck built to help you out. The game appears to have been designed with one character solo in mind. Everything scales based on the number of players.

All that being said I've been playing LoTR two-handed for so long I'll probably do it here as well.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I expect you can do it either way you like. But, I also expect that playing two characters may be more interesting as it brings up additional choices such as whether to split up, whether to discard to support each other's tests (which can only be done in the same location), etc...

When it comes out I'll try it both ways.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
N0mE wrote:
So is solo played with a single investigator or
do you need to manage multiple?

You can play with just one investigator.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Golembo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies.
From the video, it's probably an auto buy for me either way.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
More players is probably more fun, but it does look perfectly playable solo out of the box, lotr was ok, but the quests werent designed to scale well. They seem to have learned their lesson here.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier Domínguez
msg tools
Im guessing the rules will say one, and Im going to stick with it. I see little benefit on running 2 actually. The constant tests and the action system can complicate things too much for the occasional benefit of being able to toss a card to help the other investigator out.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Solberg
Norway
Horten
flag msg tools
mb
SirRoke wrote:
N0mE wrote:
So is solo played with a single investigator or
do you need to manage multiple?

You can play with just one investigator.


Will it be like in LotR LCG, that when you play with one character its i.e. 2 encounter cards pr. player instead of 1.5 encounter cards pr. player on some occasions?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Catanid wrote:
SirRoke wrote:
N0mE wrote:
So is solo played with a single investigator or
do you need to manage multiple?

You can play with just one investigator.


Will it be like in LotR LCG, that when you play with one character its i.e. 2 encounter cards pr. player instead of 1.5 encounter cards pr. player on some occasions?

From the demo video, it sounded like each player draws one encounter card.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cranky hobbit
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
toliveischrist77 wrote:

All that being said I've been playing LoTR two-handed for so long I'll probably do it here as well.

I'm hoping this game does not require dual hands to compete against all scenarios. Hoping it runs smoothly with just one
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cranky_hobbit wrote:
toliveischrist77 wrote:

All that being said I've been playing LoTR two-handed for so long I'll probably do it here as well.

I'm hoping this game does not require dual hands to compete against all scenarios. Hoping it runs smoothly with just one


Oh I really think it will! I just greatly enjoy building decks and the interaction between characters. I can see me playing one campaign with two characters and another with just one.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier Domínguez
msg tools
toliveischrist77 wrote:
I just greatly enjoy building decks and the interaction between characters. I can see me playing one campaign with two characters and another with just one.


How much interaction you expect this game to have? From the looks of it, it seems to be focused on individuality more than cooperation (which is nice, as it gives a whole other feeling). Unlike LotR were players interact constantly (share attachments, play events to help each other, deal with each other enemies with Sentinel/Ranged, etc), in AH, those are not allowed so far.

The only interaction we know of is tossing cards for tests and damaging each other when an attacking test fails (which is not something you would be looking forward to, I guess). And those little interactions are even restricted to when investigators share a location. So unless you plan on moving them together round after round, I don't see the benefits of running 2 investigators at a time when playing solo.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
x_chan wrote:
toliveischrist77 wrote:
I just greatly enjoy building decks and the interaction between characters. I can see me playing one campaign with two characters and another with just one.


How much interaction you expect this game to have? From the looks of it, it seems to be focused on individuality more than cooperation (which is nice, as it gives a whole other feeling). Unlike LotR were players interact constantly (share attachments, play events to help each other, deal with each other enemies with Sentinel/Ranged, etc), in AH, those are not allowed so far.

The only interaction we know of is tossing cards for tests and damaging each other when an attacking test fails (which is not something you would be looking forward to, I guess). And those little interactions are even restricted to when investigators share a location. So unless you plan on moving them together round after round, I don't see the benefits of running 2 investigators at a time when playing solo.


Fair enough. I'm probably projecting some LoTR into this game that might not exist. But at the very least I suspect we might have the deck that's better at investigation and the deck that's better at combat so maybe it'll be easier if we play them together. I guess I will be surprised if there aren't any cards that create some form of interaction at all.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
toliveischrist77 wrote:
x_chan wrote:
toliveischrist77 wrote:
I just greatly enjoy building decks and the interaction between characters. I can see me playing one campaign with two characters and another with just one.


How much interaction you expect this game to have? From the looks of it, it seems to be focused on individuality more than cooperation (which is nice, as it gives a whole other feeling). Unlike LotR were players interact constantly (share attachments, play events to help each other, deal with each other enemies with Sentinel/Ranged, etc), in AH, those are not allowed so far.

The only interaction we know of is tossing cards for tests and damaging each other when an attacking test fails (which is not something you would be looking forward to, I guess). And those little interactions are even restricted to when investigators share a location. So unless you plan on moving them together round after round, I don't see the benefits of running 2 investigators at a time when playing solo.


Fair enough. I'm probably projecting some LoTR into this game that might not exist. But at the very least I suspect we might have the deck that's better at investigation and the deck that's better at combat so maybe it'll be easier if we play them together. I guess I will be surprised if there aren't any cards that create some form of interaction at all.
For me, the significant difference compared to LotR is that you have a campaign as the base play mode and because it's a campaign, you have a single Investigator per player. It's not LotR with an Arkham Horror skin, it's a new approach to LCGs.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
toliveischrist77 wrote:
x_chan wrote:
toliveischrist77 wrote:
I just greatly enjoy building decks and the interaction between characters. I can see me playing one campaign with two characters and another with just one.


How much interaction you expect this game to have? From the looks of it, it seems to be focused on individuality more than cooperation (which is nice, as it gives a whole other feeling). Unlike LotR were players interact constantly (share attachments, play events to help each other, deal with each other enemies with Sentinel/Ranged, etc), in AH, those are not allowed so far.

The only interaction we know of is tossing cards for tests and damaging each other when an attacking test fails (which is not something you would be looking forward to, I guess). And those little interactions are even restricted to when investigators share a location. So unless you plan on moving them together round after round, I don't see the benefits of running 2 investigators at a time when playing solo.


Fair enough. I'm probably projecting some LoTR into this game that might not exist. But at the very least I suspect we might have the deck that's better at investigation and the deck that's better at combat so maybe it'll be easier if we play them together. I guess I will be surprised if there aren't any cards that create some form of interaction at all.
For me, the significant difference compared to LotR is that you have a campaign as the base play mode and because it's a campaign, you have a single Investigator per player. It's not LotR with an Arkham Horror skin, it's a new approach to LCGs.


Absolutely. And I'm so glad! When the rumor first dropped the assumption seemed to be that FFG was losing the LoTR license so this game was literally going to be a retheme but the exact same game. This is not that at all obviously. Looks amazing!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad campaign play is being considered from the beginning. It took a while for it to really start working well in LOTR.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.