Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hey all was wondering if it was possible to get the PC Program without installing Steam? I had a lot of problems with Steam back in the day, and bottom line is I have zero trust in them and will not install anything from them. I thought FFG instructed you to get it from their site but all I find there is a link back to Steam. Anyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
shadowsclassic wrote:
Hey all was wondering if it was possible to get the PC Program without installing Steam? I had a lot of problems with Steam back in the day, and bottom line is I have zero trust in them and will not install anything from them. I thought FFG instructed you to get it from their site but all I find there is a link back to Steam. Anyone?

Steam only for PC as far as I can tell.

Eventually there may be a "way" to get the executable only - as other games on Steam tend to show up certain places. Usually needs to be pretty popular for that to happen, so who knows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Alessi
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Steam has improved vastly from "back in the day", so it's possibly you're working off of outdated information.

Still, if you're that unwilling to trust them, couldn't you create a throwaway email and a throwaway Steam account just for the purposes of getting the app? Failing that, I guess you're down to getting it on one of the three mobile platforms, but if you find Steam untrustworthy, I'm not sure that you'd find Apple, Google, or Amazon any more trustworthy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Dunks
United States
Providence Forge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I downloaded BlueStacks so I could play Android apps on my PC. BlueStacks will let you unload the Mansions of Madness App through Google Play.

I already did this with the Descent Road to Legend App, and have had no problems at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
I may give it a try on Steam. I have the app on my Samsung tablet, I was just looking for a backup plan in of tablet problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shadowsclassic wrote:

I hated Steam back in the day as well. I don't have any issues with it now, though. At this point, I have a metric ton of purchases from them with 0 problems over the last 3 or 4 years, if that's any help to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it really bothers you to use Steam, because the app doesn't seem to have any actual Steam integration (it doesn't use any of the API features such as Steam Cloud Saves as far as I can tell), then once you've actually downloaded it, you can run it directly from the EXE without even having Steam open (I just tested it).

I can't guarantee it will stay that way forever, and of course you'll miss out of any future updates (of which there are sure to be some soon to fix various bugs and add more scenarios) unless you login to Steam again.

But if you accept that, you could just create a chuck-away account to grab it that way if you wanted.

However, I agree with others that there's no reason to distrust them more than any of the other big players though, and I am very happy they've gone this route (if for no other reason than it's an established/reliable storefront & way to re-download in future, especially if/when they start releasing paid content for this/Descent... imagine if they'd tried to create their own store, and the support that would entail!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Psydotek
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I too am looking for a way to get the app on a PC without using Steam.

Not that I don't like Steam but I want to put on one of my travel laptops that doesn't have Steam installed (or much if any personal information on it in case it get stolen).

I'm going to try downloading it on my main computer then just transferring the install directory over via USB drive (or even just running it off a USB drive).

Update: Just tried it and it works just fine so far. However if there are updates to the app on Steam then I'll have to copy the files over again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.