Popular Tags: dear_abby [+] [View All]
Andrew Brown
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Tha can allus tell a Yorkshireman, but tha canna tell him much
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had this in a few games now so I've decided to have a good old fashioned whinge.

Why is it when I play certain longer heavier games (e.g. Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game or Here I Stand) my turn feels like it lasts for 2 minutes and everybody else has so many things to do and think about and accomplish it feels like 10, or 15 or even 20 minutes?

Why is there always one person with analysis paralysis?

Why does there always seem to be a least one player who needs a reminder of the basic game rules?

Why does there always seem to be one player who *loves* giving advice to the new players - even if they haven't asked for it?

Sigh. Now I've got that out of my system I feel much better!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're a Yorkshireman - just live with it!

devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't enjoy playing most medium/heavier games with more than 2 people for this exact reason. I'll do it sometimes but typically if I have to wait long for my turn I am not having fun. I mostly only play solo/2p anyways and for a reason. I don't really have AP though I can get it sometimes, but prefer to keep the game flowing than think about every single optimal move on every single turn. Beyond this though the hardest part about gaming with others, to me at least, is when brand new players try to argue rules with me because they weren't paying attention when I explained certain things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Archbold wrote:
I have had this a few games now so I've decided to have a good old fashioned whinge.

Why is it when I play certain longer heavier games (e.g. Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game or Here I Stand) my turn feels like it lasts for 2 minutes and everybody else has so many things to do and think about and accomplish it feels like 10, or 15 or even 20 minutes?
I've played games before where I was the quickest to move b/c my thoughts were "wtf is going on? I'll just try this and see if it works". I don't know enough to really work out if what I'm doing will work.

Archbold wrote:

Welcome to the world of bg-ing? As somebody who's had to deal with this... from others and as the person of AP myself, I'd say try to communicate more about this if not already so. I actually won't play with people who've said I am AP. It's not personal. In many cases, I can objectively say they were right. But I'd rather not deal with such folks, so it's easier to do just that,

Archbold wrote:
Why does there always seem to be a least one player who needs a reminder of the basic game rules?
Some people get roped into games they didn't want to. NOt to exclude folks. Some people have "off days". See my comment above about communications and trying to get your group better "on the same page"

Archbold wrote:
Why does there always seem to be one player who *loves* giving advice to the new players - even if they haven't asked for it?

TBF, sometimes this keeps the game from getting too lopsided. I've received unsolicited advice from others when playing Modern Art, saying selling at 35% of the masterpiece's value is too heavily favoring the buyer. I thought It'd be clever to really sell stuff more quickly. I ended up getting a distant, but still 2nd place cool APparently, people didn't feel as bad giving me more $$ in other situations due to my perceived "shortcoming"

Otherwise, if it slows the game down or otherwise, do let them know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahiksking wrote:
You're a Yorkshireman - just live with it!

:devil:
Looxery.

When I were a lad!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Archbold wrote:

My assumption is you keep playing with the same friends that have AP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abodi wrote:
Archbold wrote:

I'm still undecided on this one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Tha can allus tell a Yorkshireman, but tha canna tell him much
mbmbmbmbmb
abodi wrote:
Archbold wrote:

I try to avoid the worst offenders, but it isn't always easy. If I want to play the games I like sometimes I have to play with people who are like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lynch
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Archbold wrote:
I have had this a few games now so I've decided to have a good old fashioned whinge.

Gee for a minute there, I thought you were in my game group. Seems somewhat universal, so welcome to the human race. There is also a subset of the gamer who needs rules reminding; after being re-educated, they claim, "But I based my whole game on that. If I only knew." shake

edit> whine on whine crime?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.