Islebound» Forums » Rules

Subject: Mistakes in the rules, page 17 ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dietrich Terasa
Germany
Steinbergkirche
flag msg tools
The Rule on page 17 below says "Players may always choose to BUY the fourth and fifth..." (and so on) in the paragraph. Is the following text the correct ohne: "... to BUILD the fourth ..." (and so on)?
Instand of "buy" use "build"? Because the text belongs to the town-action building a building ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Johnson
United States
Midvale
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Egozentrik wrote:
The Rule on page 17 below says "Players may always choose to BUY the fourth and fifth..." (and so on) in the paragraph. Is the following text the correct ohne: "... to BUILD the fourth ..." (and so on)?
Instand of "buy" use "build"? Because the text belongs to the town-action building a building ...

Understandable confusion. In the rulebook, BUY is used to refer to the free action of spending money equal to it's value (the number in the top left of the card). the BUILD action is the town ability of using the required materials instead of money.

BUY and BUILD are indeed separate actions and both can potentially be used on the same turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dietrich Terasa
Germany
Steinbergkirche
flag msg tools
Yes, I know, but ...
Do I need to take into account the number of books for BUILDING (Stratic) too, not only for BUYING?
The stated paragraph is about these conditions, which seem however to be inserted from the text for BUYING with 'copy & paste'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Egozentrik wrote:
Yes, I know, but ...
Do I need to take into account the number of books for BUILDING (Stratic) too, not only for BUYING?
The stated paragraph is about these conditions, which seem however to be inserted from the text for BUYING with 'copy & paste'.

Building and Buying work exactly the same in every way except you can only build 1 card and must do so in Stratic. You may buy any number of cards on a turn (assuming you can afford them)

Aside from that, they are the same so you need to adhere to the # of books for buying and building
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dietrich Terasa
Germany
Steinbergkirche
flag msg tools
Okay, then should I replace all words "buy" with the word "build" to illustrate the building situation in the stated paragraph.
A 'copy&paste'-mistake?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Egozentrik wrote:
Okay, then should I replace all words "buy" with the word "build" to illustrate the building situation in the stated paragraph.
A 'copy&paste'-mistake?

Yes, page 17 should probably say build instead of buy in that paragraph since it's talking about building a card in Stratic.
But it's not a huge issue since it works exactly the same other than what I mentioned in my previous post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McDonald
United States
Batavia
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I agree with Dietrich. It is a very big issue because as the rules stand now, books are required only for the "Buy" action, not the "Build" action. I also agree with Dietrich, that this was probably a misprint. But until Ryan clarifies that, a Build action does not require books, regardless of which building is built. Only a "Buy" action requires books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
msg tools
mbmbmb
Dragonmage wrote:
No, I agree with Dietrich. It is a very big issue because as the rules stand now, books are required only for the "Buy" action, not the "Build" action. I also agree with Dietrich, that this was probably a misprint. But until Ryan clarifies that, a Build action does not require books, regardless of which building is built. Only a "Buy" action requires books.

That's quite the leap. Why would the rules state the same paragraph in both the Buy and Build sections of the rule book, if not because the Buy action and the Build action are intended to work the same? It is regrettable that proofreading missed changing the word "buy" to "build" in the Build section (at least in the Kickstarter copy of the rules, as I do not have currently have access to the final version), but the fact that it was copied to that second location at all should be an indication that both actions are intended to work exactly the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Laukat
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Dragonmage wrote:

Yes, it was a mistake. You need books for both BUILDING and BUYING the 3rd, 4th, and 5th buildings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.