Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I experienced a situation in my first game that said"

"... suffers 2 Horror (will negates). Then flip 2 Horror faceup."

In my situation, I negated the two horror successfully and at that point in this game my character still had all of her sanity, meaning no horror cards, so I didn't do anything more. Did I play that correctly?

More to the point, the "then flip 2 Horror faceup" doesn't mean to draw 2 additional horror cards? It only means to flip up 2 cards I have in possession, correct?

A few scenarios for total clarity:

* Character has 0 horror cards, negates the 2 horror, and that's it. End result: 0 horror cards.

* Character has 0 horror cards, fails and gains 2 horror cards which will be face up since it doesn't say face down, and that's it. End result: 2 horror cards face up.

* Character has 3 face down horror cards, negates the 2 horror, and then flips up 2 of the 3 horror cards they already had. End result: 3 horror cards, 2 of which are now face up.

* Character has 3 face down horror cards, fails and gains 2 horror cards which will be face up since it doesn't say face down, and then flips over 2 of the 3 horror cards they already had resulting in 5 horror cards, 4 of which are now face up.

Thanks for your help and sorry to be so verbose. It's an important rule to understand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hi, yes if you have no horror, you dont have any to flip, so can skip that.

It works like this - if the app says "draw horror face down" you just take the horror and dont look at them.

If it says "draw horror" you draw them face up, read them, and do as it says (normally it says "now flip face down" so most of your cards will always be face down).

If it says "flip a card" you randomly draw one from your hand (not the deck) and flip it, and do what it says (hopefully it says "nothing happens, flip me face down").

Sometimes it says "Draw a damage facedown and discard me" - so you draw a damage to your hand facedown and shuffle the horror back into the deck.

But, if you have no cards and it says to flip one, you got lucky and can ignore it.

If you have the same number of horror cards as your brain icon, you go insane and draw an insane card. If you have the same damage as your heart icon, you're wounded - discard all your damage cards and draw a wounded card. If you get that much damage again, you lose.

Hope that helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Outstanding reply! You answered all of my questions and then some.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P Lamps
msg tools
wgerken wrote:
Outstanding reply! You answered all of my questions and then some.

Glad to help
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rindfleisch
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just as an added note, since it may be unclear based on what you have written here, once an investigator goes insane, they also discard all facedown horror cards, and once they have accumulated the same number of horror cards as their sanity a 2nd time, then they are eliminated. The way you have it written sounds like only taking damage can kill you, but sanity works the same way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Botkin
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
also, if you started with zero, gained the 2 horror, read them and then they said to flip them face down, and then as part of that same text they say "flip two face up" you would still need to flip the two cards you just got effectively having double effect
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenyon Daniel
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kniknax wrote:

If you have the same number of horror cards as your brain icon, you go insane and draw an insane card. If you have the same damage as your heart icon, you're wounded - discard all your damage cards and draw a wounded card. If you get that much damage again, you lose.

Hope that helps

Just as a quick side note, face up cards are not typically discarded (barring some specific effect). This is noted in Rules Reference page 7, which covers wounding and insanity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
viresium wrote:
also, if you started with zero, gained the 2 horror, read them and then they said to flip them face down, and then as part of that same text they say "flip two face up" you would still need to flip the two cards you just got effectively having double effect

And you would flip them one at a time. Is if you had three face down, you randomize and flip one, which may instruct you to flip it back down. You then randomize and flip the second one, possibly getting the first-flipped card again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bryanwinter wrote:
viresium wrote:

And you would flip them one at a time. Is if you had three face down, you randomize and flip one, which may instruct you to flip it back down. You then randomize and flip the second one, possibly getting the first-flipped card again.

Nice. That's an interesting nuance. I wasn't aware of this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wgerken wrote:
bryanwinter wrote:
viresium wrote:

Nice. That's an interesting nuance. I wasn't aware of this.

Also look at the Discard rules in the Rules Reference, especially as they pertain to Damage and Horror. You often have to do a bit of shuffling in between multiple draws, since several cards have you discard the card after effects occur.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wgerken wrote:

Character has 3 face down horror cards, negates the 2 horror, and then flips up 2 of the 3 horror cards they already had. End result: 3 horror cards, 2 of which are now face up.

Are we sure about this? It feels strange to pass the test and still have to apply some negative effect. By the wording I would say you are correct, but would like to confirm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Acererak wrote:
It feels strange to pass the test and still have to apply some negative effect.
This sometimes happens in all released Arkham Horror Files games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haroth9842 wrote:
Acererak wrote:
It feels strange to pass the test and still have to apply some negative effect.
This sometimes happens in all released Arkham Horror Files games.

Yeah, it was essentially a very bad encounter.

"... suffers 2 Horror (will negates). Then flip 2 Horror faceup."

Nasty business, but fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Vetter
Denmark
Hilleroed
flag msg tools
bryanwinter wrote:
viresium wrote:

We've house-ruled this. It's simply too annoying shuffling the cards that much. So if an effect tell you to flip cards you flip them simoultaniously and resolve them in random order. Then if any flips remain, randomise the cards and flip simoultanious again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Chalmers
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb

So during this particular check, even if you negate the 2 horror, you still "flip 2 horror face up" if you have facedown horror on your character?

If you successfully negate, that does not negate the "flip 2 horror face up" section as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sador42 wrote:

So during this particular check, even if you negate the 2 horror, you still "flip 2 horror face up" if you have facedown horror on your character?

If you successfully negate, that does not negate the "flip 2 horror face up" section as well?

Correct. From the "Test" rules in the Rules Reference (pg 18):

Quote:
Effects that are dependent on a test are preceded by "if you pass"
or "if you fail." Any effect in that sentence occurs only if the
investigator passes or fails the test, respectively. Any effect after
the period or part of a new paragraph is independent from
previous effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.