Subject: The dreadful dread monolith deck! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Isaac Pinsonnault
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
OK! So recently in my gaming circle there has been a new deck theme seeing play. You guessed it. A necron deck themed around the dread monolith. There are some variations between each player and how they run it and exactly what cards they use but the end result is the same. A firm win for the person running this dreadful deck. Initially I thought it would not be successful as it seems to run on luck. However, this deck has been used numerous times by numerous people against numerous people and still nobody in my group has been able to say they have beaten it.

So how does it work? The general idea is that you use STC's and a heavy elite deck to get the monoliths into play as fast as possible and then use their abilities to bring the other elites into play for free. Here are the staples to this deck:
3 Dread Monoliths
3 STC Fragments
3 Recycles
2-3 Fall Back
2-3 Backlash
At least 9 other non-vehicle necron elites.

The monoliths, stc's, and elites are the whole point of the deck. Fall back and Backlash are fail safes in case the enemy has a counter to a monolith. Recycles help get rid of excess STC fragments after you get one in play and help you look for more dread monoliths. The support that allows you to put units in you discard pile onto the very top of your discard is another card frequently used simply to be able to use "the traveller's" deploy action to bring it back from the discard pile.

So on paper it seems very situational. In game though your lucky if your opponent does not get one down turn one (as my competition mulligans if they do not get a monolith and stc in their starting hand). They save resources mostly and lock down planets early game with larger units. They tear through their decks fast and find a dread monolith as fast as possible and get it out. By end game there are always 2 out often 3. I've tried routing them, running swarm decks, going for an early win, focusing command struggles and my best decks have not won against it nor has any one else who has run against one of these decks I have talked to.

Thus I am asking you guys! Have you run against a similar deck? Have you played one? Most importantly! Have you beat one? Any tips, tricks, or stories you have regarding this dreadful deck?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not seen this, but I'm intrigued, I might try building it tomorrow and give it a shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max POWER
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I opened the Necron box and saw the units, the elite/Monolith build was the first thing that I wanted to build. And for the record this is the ONLY deck that I built myself that I ever beat Isaac with. The longer it takes him to find an answer to it, the better. Let your old man and your friends win the occasional game, Isaac!
But off the top of my head, I would think a well run Packmaster Kith build would perform favorably against the Monolith/big unit build. But I'm terrible at this game so...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Winnipeg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played against a similar deck just last week. Fortunately, I was playing an elite old one eye deck, so ymgarl genestealer with heavy venom canon with OOE killed it easily. Maybe I was just lucky as I had initiative. I can see it could have been much harder to deal with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.