6 Posts

Kemet: Ta-Seti» Forums » Variants

Subject: How to make a variant with randomized banks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alejandro Magno
Argentina
flag msg tools
I can accept that maybe in 5 players there are all the tiles in the game (though only 3 pyramids are accessible)
But I would like for 4 players or less to be less tiles, and which tiles are available to be random.
I would like to get advice on what is the best number of tiles for each number of players, and how the randomization would be done , based on that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert baynosa
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
you could try rolling the d4 twice at the start of a the day phase, representing the color and row (level) of the power tile (assign a color to a number). eliminate said tile from game. if the tile has already been bought/eliminated then no elimination action is taken. do this twice for 2-3 player games and once for 4 player games. should make for a tighter til buying game if thats your thing.

personally though, i sometimes like having all tiles available in 2-4 player games. especially at 2, the game feels more like a wargame since you can really optimise your army, and pit different theorycraft strategies against each other. but yeah, sometimes i also like a tighter resource/engine building game where one has to adjust to tiles being eliminated and thus needing a strategy overhaul. in that case, i use the above variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edu Avalon
Guatemala
flag msg tools
Why not just removing the remaining 4th tile in each level/color? For example,there are only 2 red tiles level 1. You buy one and automatically you remove the fourth one. With this rule, players will not be confident anymore that some tiles will always be available. So now, they have to rush for these ones too. And this also could be a nice strategy: e.g. you have already a white level III victory point tile. You buy the third red level III tile, not only because you like it, but also because you are removing the fourth one (the victory point) a tile that you are not allowed to obtain in any case.
I think that this system could work very well with 3 players in the base game. To be honest I have not tried it yet, but we will do in our next game (we are always 3 players). I will let you know how it works.
I presume that with the black pyramid, this proportion of 3 tiles per level could work for 4 players. But I do not have the Ta-Seti expansion, so I would not be able to try it.
If you are happy with this proportion of 3 tiles per level, and you do not like what I'm proposing you could also role a dice to see which one of the tiles has to be removed before starting the game. The main problem with this system is that it can limit some strategies: Let's say that you have 3 or 4 nice combos in the game. If by chance you are discarding 2 strategic tiles, you will only have 2 nice combos available. So, the one who will be able to obtain it will have a strong advantage...
Another option (for an experienced group) could be to let players to decide which tile should be eliminated before starting the game. Example: You are 4 players playing with the black pyramid: You start with level 1 tiles. You roll a dice to assign 1 color to each player: Player 1 will decide on red, Player 2 on black... Each player point at the same time the tile they are going to remove. Then your roll dice again to assign colors in level 2 and repeat until you reach level 4.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Magno
Argentina
flag msg tools
I played 3 games with 3 players, one with all 4 pyramids and then i reduced to 3.

Even 3 pyramids full wiht 3 players to me the games were horrible ,basically each player rushed to some insane combo and it was a battle of combos.

I think the game doesnt scale down well from 5 players.

I really think we should come up with some variant that makes it so with less than 5 players, there are less tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goo Isn't it supposed to be "a battle of combos?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sophia Lechner
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently had the same question after playing my first game with the black pyramids and with 3 players. Some like the "battle of combos" this provides, but I found myself missing the competition to buy tiles first (and the accompanying tension on turn order decisions, since being later is usually best for controlling temples).

I think for my next game, I'm going to try the following simple variant: at the beginning of the game, for each tile, roll a 6-sided die and remove the tile from the game if you roll greater than the number of players (i.e., a 3-player games has a 3/6 chance to use each tile and a 5-player game has a 5/6 chance to use each tile).

I wouldn't want a power row to be entirely blank, though; so I would reroll the entire row in such a case. This modification would raise the chance of each tile being in a 3-player game to 53.33% (from 50.00%), 4-player to 67.50% (from 66.67%), and 5-player to 83.40% (from 83.33%).

I will post back here after I try it. Saturday, I'm hoping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.