Subject: Sweet character build rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tod Hostetler
United States
California
flag msg tools
Had a new birth recently that came with (along other things):
- Iridescent Hide (ps we are in Dragon King campaign)
- Thrillseeker

We packed this little guy out with full Rawhide and the Dragon Shield (also a DK expansion element). Wow, really impressed after seeing him in action today.

Due to the Iridescent and Dragon Shield, the normally somewhat pathetic Full Rawhide Armor defense of 2/HL comes out to a very satisfying 5/HL. And we just need (I think it's a green-right-connection) to make that a very tank-ey 6/HL, with an optional Block that makes him Priority Target when used. Now that's what I call an effective Tank!

But what's more badass is that Thrillseeker + Rawhide combo. When he spends survival, he has a 50% chance of getting TWO Survival back! The guy never needs to think twice about spending Survival, he gets to do all of Encourage, Surge, Dodge and Dash pretty much every round... in the average length of a battle for us, his chances of running low on Survival are extremely low, since he has even odds of coming out with MORE Survival than he Departed with, even if he uses Survival at every possible opportunity!

Of course, we got a Bone Witch and a L2 Butcher on the timeline for next week's game, so as usual with KDM the celebration might be short-lived, but I'm feeling pretty good atm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Martyn
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soldatdizzy wrote:

Of course, we got a Bone Witch and a L2 Butcher on the timeline for next week's game, so as usual with KDM the celebration might be short-lived, but I'm feeling pretty good atm.

Maybe... don't send him to Hack City then?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
voltemands voltemands
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Sounds to me like this guy has earned the honour of having an Actual figure made ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheEremite wrote:
soldatdizzy wrote:

Maybe... don't send him to Hack City then?

*Starts chanting* Hack.. City.. Hack.. City...

And report back if he survives or not!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tod Hostetler
United States
California
flag msg tools
Well, first of all we did NOT send him up against the Butcher. Which was good because check it out, our Archer landed a lucky hit on the Butcher that Knocked Him Down, allowing our other three Survivors to lay into him for 7 wounds before he got up again, in the first round!

So then Butcher got up and... wait for it... wait for it... aw, you guessed it, Hack City. And Bite. He tore 1 of us in half at the waist, bit another 1 of our heads off, in his first attack. Needless to say, we did not win the Showdown.

Now, back to this Sweet Character Build. One of my teammates noticed something I had missed. It so happens that we own a Steel Shield. We had one of these in a previous campaign as well, and have long considered it total garbage. -3 Move is just a non-starter in my opinion.

But, my newer player to the campaign, immune to our 'groupthink', points out that the Thrillseeker in Rawhide can pretty much freely Dash, raising their Move even with a Steel Shield to a fairly respectable 4 per turn.

OK so now we check the rules to see if someone is disallowed from carrying two Shield items. Nope!

It gets BETTER! During the Bone Witch event, this dude landed the Fighting Art (I forget the exact name) that lets him Dodge twice per round. I almost wet myself when this happened.

Plus we found an item to trigger his Green Affinity with Monster Grease to maximize his Iridescent Hide. And yeah, we built it.

So here we go:
- Full Rawhide Armor
- Thrillseeker
- Evasive (whatever the thing is that lets you Dodge 2x)
- Dragon Shield in one hand
- Steel Shield in the other hand
- Monster Grease
- That cool-but-frail weapon from Weapon Crafter that has a left-side green affinity, I forget which.

Means:
Can Dodge Twice, at average Survival cost =0
Can Block Twice, at average Survival cost =0

OK, so he's got a Move of 4 which is a bit slow, but:
As soon as the Monster hits him, he can ignore 4 hits (2 Dodged, 2 Blocked) and the Dragon Shield Block can be used to make him Priority Target for the rest of the Showdown. Oh, did I mention he has +1 Evasion from the Monster Grease?

So for the rest of the Showdown, the Monster will be forced to target someone that has +1 Evade, can freely ignore 4 hits, and even when they do get hit beyond that 4, the Monster needs to chew through 6 COUNT THEM 6!!!! Points of Armor at every body location.

Leaving everyone else in the Showdown to attack the Monster pretty much freely. Obviously, Reactions are still going to come into play, but goddamn what an incredible Tank build am I right?

Oh btw he's got a Twin Sister. She's got all the qualities to make this Super Tank build work except for his double-dodge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Martyn
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think these badass twins need a model, though you might struggle to make two shields look cool (I'd suggest maybe open arms with a shield strapped to each and daggers in the hands).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven O
msg tools
soldatdizzy wrote:

So for the rest of the Showdown, the Monster will be forced to target someone that has +1 Evade, can freely ignore 4 hits, and even when they do get hit beyond that 4, the Monster needs to chew through 6 COUNT THEM 6!!!! Points of Armor at every body location.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the Blast Shield gives you priority the first time you block a hit each *showdown*, not every time you block a hit!

My most OP, 100% non cheated character isn't believable to me, and i honestly wish i'd wrote down where each of the bonus' came from!

Mov 7, +6 Accuracy, +11 Str, +1 Evasion and +1 Luck!

Got Sneak Attack and Thrill Seeker early, and made her my Sadist when Manhunter showed up, combos with the Rawhide as above for almost infinite Surivial, and with Sneak Attack it was the best chance for Fist And Tooth so gave her the Sleeping Virus Flower too. With the +1 Luck, flower, luck charm, fist and tooth, and the cello on someone else, she crits on a 5+, which is where a lot the stats come from (Flower Knight has some + Accuracy ones!)

Also lucked out on Ageless, which isnt even needed because of the Virus Flower, which when she does die will only give another chance for stupider bonus' to stats.

Lacking any +Speed though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Boehm
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
...and, in true KD nihilistic style, your super-tanky survivor will probably get offed by an arbitrary Hunt event. Or even in the Settlement stage.

Enjoy them while they last! Excellent build.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, after playing People of the Stars, everyone kinda' looks like chumps... think our current settlement's best is

7 acc, 11 st, 2ev, 2 sp, full courage/und, a pair of anti-severe injury abilities, ageless, thrill seeker, 3 natural armor

though my current favorite is an immortal disorder with 7 evasion and >120 insanity- he's pretty hilarious to take on nemesis fights

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
TR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahah, the guy can't go near an antelope! I had the same with fist & tooth and a death mask... He was murdered, in the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, he doesn't get to come on hunts at all, any more, since there's a chance you'll hit one of those "spend survival or die"-type events. But yeah, we did have the antelope kill one crazy guy once...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.