1 , 2  Next »   | 

Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle» Forums » General

Subject: Any reviews from Gencon? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

Dacula
Georgia
msg tools
Just curious if anyone has played this game at Gencon, and can give quick thoughts on the game. Very anxious to hear. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliott Prasuhn
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I don't have time to really review it, however I did buy it and have played through the first two games.
Here's some first impressions:

Gameplay: Starts out as a pretty standard deck builder like Ascension or Legendary...probably more like legendary. It has a legacy feel to it, which is how they intended it. Unlike most legacy games you won't be ripping anything or placing permanent stickers on anything. It's simple, but it plays really smoothly and feels just as polished as any of the popular deck builders.

Components: The components are absolutely awesome. The card board is thick, the cards feel really nice and the tokens are good and chunky. All of the "artwork" is pictures from the movies, but it is done in way that makes the cards look really good. The dark mark tokens are heavy metal hexes and are super cool. The only complaint I have is with the dice. They are a clear plastic and look like there are clear stickers on the sides. Aside from that I was very happy with the look and feel of the game.

The game doesn't feel thrown together or cheap. The rules are simple but they start to change as you play more games. Every book has additional rules that get added to the game and introduces new mechanics or additional cards. Even though you can only play as 4 different characters, tons of the other characters that we love are represented as allies that you can add to your deck and who will help you defeat the villains.

The games #'s do somewhat correlate with the movie #'s. So for instance the 2nd game introduces the Basilisk(Chamber of secrets) as one of the villains that needs to be defeated. In my last play of this I was playing as Neville and was almost able to defeat the Basilisk using Faux as my ally. I knocked him down to 1 life and then Hermione defeated him in the next round by using Crookshanks, which gave us all a laugh..

This really feels like your playing in the Harry Potter universe and I feel like they took a lot of care to make it call back to the stories in very appropriate ways. It might partially be my fanboy talking, but I feel like they have done an excellent job and have produce the game that us boardgamers were hoping for.

Well that was way more than I planned to write, but I hope it helps.
If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to try and answer them.

The game should be releasing everywhere in about month so don't worry you'll be playing it before you know it!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your thoughts! This isn't a legacy game though more like a campaign game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Dacula
Georgia
msg tools
Thanks for the review. A couple of questions. 1) is it challenging? Or easy? 2). Do you feel there is a lot of replayability? Like Legendary allows you to play different combinations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliott Prasuhn
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Klaxas wrote:
Thanks for your thoughts! This isn't a legacy game though more like a campaign game.

Yeah your probably right. Campaign is a better description. Everything is labeled as to which game it goes, so you can sort it back to it's respective Game number if you wish. I asked one of the USAopoly employees if there was a default game # that would be the standard game once you beat every book. His responses was, that there wasn't. So once you beat 7 you won't necessarily just play just book 7 from then on as the "Complete" game. It does play more like a story/campaign and follows the books. He did say that his personal preferences was to replay book 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliott Prasuhn
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GTRock wrote:
Thanks for the review. A couple of questions. 1) is it challenging? Or easy? 2). Do you fell there is a lot of replayability? Like Legendary allows you to play different combinations.

The first game teaches the basic mechanics of a deck builders and is very easy. The 2nd game introduces 3 additional villains and plays basically the same just a little longer. These two games are definitely meant to be easy and are just to help non-gamers learn about deck building.Game 3 adds two more villains and makes you take on 2 at a time instead of 1 at a time, which is more difficult. Also in game 3 you get new character cards that have special abilities and new art work. Starting out Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Neville don't have any special ability.

I'll have to wait till I get there to find out, but I've been told that 5, 6, 7 are pretty tough. So we will see how hard it actually gets.

As for replayablity, It is not at all like legendary. So far there isn't mixing and matching of villains and dark arts cards, you just play with everything. You do switch out the location cards, but those don't drastically change the game, just make it a little more challenging. Your essentially playing out each movie. So you may get tired of playing similar games over and over. In this way it seems much more like Ascension than Legendary. I really enjoy watching the movies and have seen them many many times. So in the same way I think I won't mind playing similar games, because I"ll just think of it like I'm playing though Goblet of Fire, or Order of the Phoenix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Hopkins
United States
Converse
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So do you carry decks over from game to game, or do your starting decks depend on the adventure you're playing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
Malta
Marsalforn
Gozo, Malta
flag msg tools
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Do the rules or the box list who the designer is?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Dacula
Georgia
msg tools
Richard,
This came from someone from USAopoly. Are you familiar with FPC?

"This was a collaborative design effort between USAopoly and Forrest-Pruzan Creative (FPC). The design team at FPC designed the base mechanics for game play, and USAopoly did all the development and customization for Harry Potter."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
Malta
Marsalforn
Gozo, Malta
flag msg tools
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
GTRock wrote:
Richard,
This came from someone from USAopoly. Are you familiar with FPC?

"This was a collaborative design effort between USAopoly and Forrest-Pruzan Creative (FPC). The design team at FPC designed the base mechanics for game play, and USAopoly did all the development and customization for Harry Potter."

Nope, but here's their team:
http://www.forrest-pruzan.com/team.html

a few of them are listed on BGG as designers on BGG, so I guess one or more of them must have worked on it. here's the bio of one of them: https://boardgamegeek.com/user/TheBoxmaker
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Dacula
Georgia
msg tools
Richard,
Thanks....I really want to like this game, because of the theme. I just want to make sure the mechanics are solid, and that there is replayability that changes things up once you completed all 7 movies. I currently like Legendary Marvel and Shadworift, because of the combinations to change things up. I love the idea of a campaign, but just want to make sure after seven plays, you still have the same excitement you did when you started. Enough to play again and again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
FPC itself is/are also listed as a designer: N/A

Credits include a bunch of mass-market and kids games, but including the relatively good Break the Safe (2003), and the not-horrible Justice League: Axis of Villains Strategy Game (2013).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliott Prasuhn
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chopkins828 wrote:
So do you carry decks over from game to game, or do your starting decks depend on the adventure you're playing?

So far everything carries over from game to game except for the Location cards.

Location card are used as below.
Some of the dark arts cards cause you to place villain control tokens on the location cards. Once enough villain tokens are placed, the villain take control of the location. If the villains control all the locations then you lose.

Also the actual designers are not listed, just the design team discussed above. They are mentioned on the back of the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Dacula
Georgia
msg tools
Elliott,
Thanks for the info. I know you are still playing, but can you anticipate the following.

1) are the cards marked to be separated back in the seven boxes when you complete the game to start over? I ask in case you are playing with somone new that wants to start from the beginning.

2)once you add content from movie seven, do you anticipate that you would play the game with all seven components for the foreseeable future? Meaning, is it ramping up to a full fledge challenging game as it goes so that you would have a single challenging replayable game at the end?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Buchanan
msg tools
So far everything looks like I expected and, to be honest, wanted. I don't think anyone was expecting it to be earth shattering or even super challenging.

While some will inevitably sneer at it for being generic or easy, I don't believe every coop game has to be super difficult.

As is, this is looks like a game for my son, wife, and myself to be Harry, Ron, and Hermione and go through our favorite world together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliott Prasuhn
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GTRock wrote:
Elliott,
Thanks for the info. I know you are still playing, but can you anticipate the following.

1) are the cards marked to be separated back in the seven boxes when you complete the game to start over? I ask in case you are playing with somone new that wants to start from the beginning.

2)once you add content from movie seven, do you anticipate that you would play the game with all seven components for the foreseeable future? Meaning, is it ramping up to a full fledge challenging game as it goes so that you would have a single challenging replayable game at the end?

The answer to your first question is yes. They are very well marked and can be put back in the original boxes.

As for the second question, my understanding is yes I believe so, but it would be very easy to separate them back out. I'm not sure it's necessarily meant to be played that way from then on but is more of as an option. I think it's meant to be more of a Campaign, with the first couple games being the tutorial and the last couple being the challenging scenarios.

I don't think I'll really know until reading all the rules, which I'm waiting on until I beat the games in order. However if you don't mind it being spoiled check out the link below.

Here's a link to some pictures I took of the game including some of the rules.

https://goo.gl/photos/z8yroWGoeaq7XTbt9

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliott Prasuhn
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NinjaGigolo wrote:
So far everything looks like I expected and, to be honest, wanted. I don't think anyone was expecting it to be earth shattering or even super challenging.

While some will inevitably sneer at it for being generic or easy, I don't believe every coop game has to be super difficult.

As is, this is looks like a game for my son, wife, and myself to be Harry, Ron, and Hermione and go through our favorite world together.

Well said. I think that's definitely how you should approach this game.
The mechanics aren't mind blowing or new, but they are interesting and enjoyable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Dacula
Georgia
msg tools
Elliott,
Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my questions. You've convinced me, I am going to preorder. :-). It sounds like it will be a fun game. Look forward to hearing your thoughts when you complete everything...Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvador Barnett
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
The game looks pretty well made, my concern is the dice didn't look up to par. Are the symbols stickers or printed on the sides of the dice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Dacula
Georgia
msg tools
Salvador,
Elliott talked about it above. Said that was his only complaint was the Clear dice with stickers.....however, he said the other components are well done and heavy duty!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Runnestrand
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
You should be reading this comic.
badge
I like nerdy stuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a game that will be fun to play a handful of times, without a ton of reasons to pull out the box once you've gone through all 7 books a couple times. The sort of game that you're glad your friend brought over one time. Too bad I am the friend that ends up buying stuff like this...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvador Barnett
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
Thank you, somehow i missed that while browsing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliott Prasuhn
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to the game, USAopoly had 4 different promo cards they were giving out when you either purchased or played the demo. I've uploaded the picture, but it hasn't been approved yet. I'll come back and add the link later. I'll also try to get some additional pictures possibly tomorrow of some of the components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toby Merida
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
We're on "Game 5" and it gets Hard and intense! The first four games, we won fairly easy but we hit a wall on Game 5 and got beat badly. You keep adding to the Hogwarts cards but we got bogged down because we had 6 cards out there to buy that were 5 0r 6 and we weren't generating enough money to buy the cards and we got our butts handed to us...Voldemort style!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Johansen
msg tools
Additional input from a new voice:

This game is flipendo fantastic!! I used to work for Wizards of the Coast corporate, so it's hard to impress me with new games. I'm impressed! A family game company, in their first gaming offering, has made an elegant, very fun, simple rules/hard challenge game with superlative atmosphere and absolutely spectacular game components. If FFG had made a game with these pieces, it would have cost $80!

The replay value is high (I've played it multiple times every day since the con), the verisimilitude to the movies is high, the attention to detail is high, the respect for the IP is orbital, and, most importantly, the fun factor (which is objective, granted) is atmospheric. I've played Game 3 five times now, and I had equal fun on all of them. The rulebook even gives a "hard mode" by starting the Locations with Control Tokens on them, adding further challenge.

As for the dice, I'm surprised to read negative feelings toward them. I think they're bloody brilliant. Most special dice included in games either have stickers or paint on the outside, limiting their longevity. By encasing the stickers below the surface, these dice are eternal. Superb answer to an age-old gaming issue, I feel. Plus, the translucency feels very "magical" to my group.

Don't hesitate to buy this game when it's out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.