Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On strongpoints and exploitation - is eliminating a Ghost strongpoint alone sufficient to allow possible exploitation?

On strongpoints and evacuation - as written, the rules appear to be saying that ANY regular unit leaving a strongpoint's area results in the strongpoint being evacuated. Does that include Syrian units leaving - so that all the Syrians need to do (assuming they have the time) is leave an area defended by a lone strongpoint to clear it?

On VP at start - I count 6 yellow star locations on the map, all Israeli controlled. Why do VP start at 5 Israeli?

Looking forward to giving this one a try this coming Friday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gustavsson
Sweden
Bjästa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Doug!

No, exploitation is not allowed in such situations.

Only if an Israeli unit leaves or retreats from a contested area occupied by a Strongpoint.

It should start at 6! I haven't received the game yet and away from home, but does the scenario instructions states it should start at 5?

I hope you'll have a great Friday then

Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it says 5 for both scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One additional question. I don't see any prohibition against committing assets to a Ghost strongpoint (though I may just be missing something). Is that allowed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gustavsson
Sweden
Bjästa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it is allowed! Ghost units are treated just as normal units until revealed in combat. So, assets/events committed to combat against those units are placed in the Available Box when the Ghost unit is revealed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Syrian 59th, Moroc(?), block, is stickered differently then what it show on the Syrian Setup Card. On the sticker it's an infantry, on the Setup Card it's Mech. Infantry. Which one is correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gustavsson
Sweden
Bjästa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Moroccan brigade is an infantry unit, so the sticker is correct! Sorry about that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Either I'm missing something, or, for the Historical setup, some of the Syrian units don't match the space they are supposed to go onto the board. For example the 68th Infantry Unit has the # 57 on it, which is the Tel Hermonit (Israel_ space). The 85th has the #50 on it as the starting spot. There are a few others. I was wondering if you could give again what the historical spots are supposed to be, so I can check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
patton55 wrote:
Either I'm missing something, or, for the Historical setup, some of the Syrian units don't match the space they are supposed to go onto the board. For example the 68th Infantry Unit has the # 57 on it, which is the Tel Hermonit (Israel_ space). The 85th has the #50 on it as the starting spot. There are a few others. I was wondering if you could give again what the historical spots are supposed to be, so I can check.

Not looking at the board at the moment, but keep in mind that the historical scenario starts AFTER the Syrians have moved across the AT ditch with the combat phase. Tel Hermonit sounds like a reasonable place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gustavsson
Sweden
Bjästa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Syrian Moroc, 68, 85, 52, 33, 112 and 61 units are setup in Israeli occupied/controlled areas, for the historical scenario! The game begins with the Combat Phase, since movement is considered to have occurred.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gustavsson
Sweden
Bjästa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Doug is correct! Thanks for your help
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
mitte_70 wrote:
The Syrian Moroc, 68, 85, 52, 33, 112 and 61 units are setup in Israeli occupied/controlled areas, for the historical scenario! The game begins with the Combat Phase, since movement is considered to have occurred.

Yeah, saw that about two minutes after I posted this. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Any special rules for the Anti-Tank asset?

Also, with the Breakthrough Movement Phase, an actual BREAKOUT doesn't have to occur for me to move one of my Reserve units? I'm just playing the first turn now, and didn't create any breakthrough spots during combat for the Syrians, and just wanted to make sure I could still move up my two Reserve units up to the front line? (If I can, and I add the unit to a spot that already has a Syrian unit there--already did combat in the normal phase, I don't do another round of combat do I?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the AT asset is just another infantry-type.

It looks like you only get a combat round in the Breakthrough Combat Phase in a newly contested area unless you spend a Special Action. So if you cleared a space but didn't get the Exploitation, you can send the reserve on through for another combat (if it can reach anybody).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are three ways to move a unit during the Breakthrough phase:

1) Achieve a breakthrough and pass a morale check so as to get marked with an exploitation marker (armor units only, allows you to move 1 area only).

2) Use a special action (armor units only, allows you to move 1 area only).

3) Place a reserve marker on the unit instead of moving during the operational movement phase (ANY unit, may move up to full movement allowance).

EDIT: and you only get combat during the Breakthrough phase if you create a newly-contested area, or you spend a Special Action for a Breakthrough Combat. (This is in addition to any SA you may have spent for option 2 above. So if you spend an SA to move an armored unit into an already- contested territory, you would not get to fight there unless you spend an additional SA.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Questions:

1. What is the purpose of the "Net VPs Syria/Israel" , that yellow stripe at the bottom of the Turn Track? What does it mean?

2. Just double checking that battle assets, all of them (including the one pip infantry & armor) are returned to the cup after battle is over.

3. What if King Hassan's Troublemakers is placed when the Moroc unit is already in a contested space? He just doesn't attack anymore right?

4. Cammando Raid assets, do they stay in a space even after I have moved a friendly unit into the space?

5. Mech Infantry, can or can't move across a rugged boundary?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
patton55 wrote:
Questions:

1. What is the purpose of the "Net VPs Syria/Israel" , that yellow stripe at the bottom of the Turn Track? What does it mean?

2. Just double checking that battle assets, all of them (including the one pip infantry & armor) are returned to the cup after battle is over.

3. What if King Hassan's Troublemakers is placed when the Moroc unit is already in a contested space? He just doesn't attack anymore right?

4. Cammando Raid assets, do they stay in a space even after I have moved a friendly unit into the space?

5. Mech Infantry, can or can't move across a rugged boundary?

1. That's for sudden death victory (19.4)

2. They go to the Used Box (6.29)

3. I'd say taking the event at face value here makes sense - "It may only fire in defense and may not move into an enemy-controlled area, whether contested or not," seems to pretty well cover it.

4. ? Good question....

5. Mech Infantry are defined as armor class in 13.3, so it looks like they can't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found one more of my own.

Do boundary types - other than rivers with blown bridges, which are specifically called out in the supply rules - affect supply trace? In particular, can supply be traced across an escarpment boundary (which can't be crossed by any unit)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gustavsson
Sweden
Bjästa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If the commando asset is still in its target area when a Syrian unit enters that area, the commando asset is relieved and is sent to the Used Box.

Supply may only be traced across escarpment boundaries if a road exists (14.93).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lazar
United States
Bethesda
USA
flag msg tools
In reference to Sam Carrol's answer above

SO if option 3) (reserve movement in the breakthrough space) is used, can the unit move to a space that causes a new contested battle or would that require a special action?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IF the Reserve unit moves to an uncontested enemy area, causing it to be contested, THEN no special action is needed to initiate combat; it's a side effect of the move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.