Subject: The Imitation Game - really? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So I've finally seen The Imitation Game.

To people who say "it's a movie, not a documentary" I'd say "do you believe that Alan Turing's story was so uninteresting that it had to be padded out with extra drama?"

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Specifically the bit with the convoy being sunk and the suggestion that, to stop the Germans realising that Enigma had been broken, it was the cypher team that would determine what information would be acted on, using a mathematical formula.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
Or that his commanding officer was a ruthless martinet who didn't appreciate Turing's genius?
Or the Poles? I think the Poles had something to do with cracking Enigma. Good movie but lousy history.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. Kinda meh movie.

Though, does any major motion picture get history right very often? I kind of assume they're all pretty dramatized and wrong going in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Downfall comes to mind. Or The Revenant. Or Lincoln. Close enough to history where it doesn't interfere with my suspension of disbelief. The Imitation Game pushed too far over that line, at points, and enough times to ruin that.

I think the makers of The Imitation Game wrestled with key questions in writing and directing it, like: How do you make math and early computing interesting? Or how can code breaking be entertaining?

I guess I was expecting Sink the Bismarck meets Good Will Hunting or The Social Network. Something like that. A Beautiful Mind. It was almost there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Thompson
United States
Taylor
Michigan
flag msg tools
Old Ironsides being overflown by the Blue Angels
mbmbmbmbmb
aiabx wrote:
Good movie but lousy history.

I've used those exact words to describe more movies than I care to think of...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
Yeah. Kinda meh movie.

Though, does any major motion picture get history right very often? I kind of assume they're all pretty dramatized and wrong going in.

Tora Tora Tora was very accurate. Most have upset Hollywood, because the semi-sequel, Midway, was a joke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.