Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Green
United Kingdom
Reading
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, played Scythe for the first time yesterday and it went quite well, although there were a few small issues, but everyone seemed to be having a good time. It was especially impressive how quick individual turns were in the context of quite a complex game, and the system of having resources on the board was quite engaging.

One thing we did agree on was that having the board extension be a promo is some BS right there. The fancy resources and metal coins, fine, they're just optional and self-contained, but the regular game includes 2/3s of the extended board so they essentially just left off a single piece of cardboard for no reason. Given that the eBay scalpers are already charging upwards of UKP200 for the limited edition versions, the myshopify store mentioned in the rulebook appears to be missing, and local distributors are already reporting that it's out of stock to preorder, it's just bad feeling all around.

We had several players who went for different strategies, but as has been mentioned, it seemed to be heavily focussed on picking the synergised action on your player board. Only one player actually got a Factory card because they left their character and Mech parked there for most of the game after that and most people were giving up power to produce. One player played an odd strategy where he bought all his workers and then marched them around in a mech, keeping them all in one square, meaning he got 8 resources whenever he Produced (and then moved the accumulated resources around in the mech as well) meaning his mech was dragging a huge hoard behind him and attacking him would lose 8 popularity!

Where there did seem to be a bit of an issue was at the end of the game. Player A had 5 stars down and a clear path to a 6th. At that point, player B started spreading out his workers and using all his actions on popularity. Player A claimed his sixth star, but player B actually won on area control and popularity.

But suppose A had done the math and delayed. A moving to attack B would have taken a lot of extra turns and lowered his popularity, and no-one else wanted to attack B because it would just be helping A win. It makes me a bit concerned that this could end up with a degenerate strategy of holding territory, getting only the triumphs that help you hold territory (all workers, all mechs, and max pop if you have time) and then just waiting, not specifically going for other triumphs, but in place to win the game gets theirs. I'm not sure about this because I think the synergy is better than that (and our winning scores were low - the winner was on 39) but it felt a bit wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing is, in many of my games so far, the winner was not necessarily the player with the highest popularity. Any player marching around with 8 workers and a hoard of resources is totally worth the 8 point popularity loss to attack! He/She will have all his workers forced back to home base and will lose all of those resources. Meanwhile the player who attacked them will have not just their combat star but a ton of stolen resources. Keep in mind that even 5 or 6 resources can be a savings of a couple of production turns for most players. The real problem in your game was a fixation on maintaining high popularity. I have seen factions, particularly the Rusviets, win a game by a large margin with 0 popularity.

Next time you play, if a player makes themselves that much of a target, take 'em down and see what happens
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
I have seen factions, particularly the Rusviets, win a game by a large margin with 0 popularity.

Next time you play, if a player makes themselves that much of a target, take 'em down and see what happens

I would just caution people that some things require you to pay popularity (producing for example). You can't do those things if you're at 0.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Brown
England
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
No, I'M Spartacus
badge
\m/
mbmbmbmbmb
Including the board extension in every copy would have added to the cost and weight of every copy and would not be used by a lot of players. Board extensions are available in the US, and presumably will be also available in the UK post August 10th. You can sign up here:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdSrPG14StIPNof0N4F...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Huynh
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmb
You'll be able to order the extended board separately, you can signup to be notified when they start selling the express components, the extended board is about $12 USD.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdSrPG14StIPNof0N4F...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Green
United Kingdom
Reading
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FritzBraun wrote:
Including the board extension in every copy would have added to the cost and weight of every copy and would not be used by a lot of players.

Then make it a regular expansion, not a promo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Huynh
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmb
hyphz wrote:
FritzBraun wrote:
Including the board extension in every copy would have added to the cost and weight of every copy and would not be used by a lot of players.

It's not a promo, it will be readily available as a small expansion (or extra) from Stonemaier after the full retail release. It's not exclusive to KS copies of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Thimbleby
msg tools
Jamey Stegmaier is pretty outspoken against exclusives of any kind in kickstarters and about regretting when he has made even minor things exclusive in the past for other games. You will be able to buy the board expansion and the fancier resources or money.

The advantage to the buyer of getting in on the kickstarter is price, early access and helping him produce a better game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I missing something? The extended board is already for sale, right?

https://www.funagain.com/control/product?product_id=036465

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Huynh
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmb
franklincobb wrote:

European sales of the extras are starting a little later because KS fulfillment has been a little slower because of the distributor/fulfillment company there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
katanan wrote:
franklincobb wrote:

European sales of the extras are starting a little later because KS fulfillment has been a little slower because of the distributor/fulfillment company there.

Gotcha. Sorry I misunderstood, I thought I could be helpful.

But yes, the extra board will be available, and also manufactured to meet demand in the future as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hyphz wrote:
FritzBraun wrote:

Actually, it's not a promo nor an expansion! The extra board is simply printed with enlarged hexes that match up to the enlarged hexes on the back of the regular board. Thus, it just makes the same board larger. No new or extra hexes. It's simply a larger board if you want to play on a larger board. You seem to have a real chip on your shoulder about this, and there is no reason to have one IMO. But maybe I misunderstand your 'complaint.'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few comments.

First, the board. As has been mentioned it's not a promo, expansion, or KS exclusive. If you want the larger board you can buy the part from Stonemeier. It's not necessary because all it does is give you bigger hexes. There is no extra functionality at all to it. Jamey has a good reason for doing it this way: if you don't have a big enough table you have the standard size board to play on--you are not stuck with the ginormous board to try and fit.

The guy parking on the factory has a simple solution: go in there with your character and/or mechs and kick him off. I've been on both sides of that fight--won some, lost some. The other players only have themselves to blame if they allow the camper to sit there & score the points uncontested.

The guy trundling his mech around loaded down with workers and resources just painted a huge target on his back. Go in there ready to obliterate him and be willing to take the popularity hit. You accomplish three tings: 1) his combat unit is now at home base and must spend movement to get back out onto the board, 2) ALL of his production capability is now turned off and again, he has to use several moves to get them back out where they can be useful again, and 3) You just stole potentially many turns worth of production to use for yourself. if you have your monument built and the right recruit Enlisted, the popularity isn't all that hard to get back. Heck, in this situation, if Polania is in play, they should absolutely deploy their Camaraderie mech and make a point of going after that jackpot! They won't lose any popularity from sending the workers packing.

In your player A & B example, it sounds like player B did a good job of detecting the approaching endgame & maximizing his territory score. Placing the 6th star does not guarantee a win, just the end of the game. I've done the same thing in a few sessions and pulled a surprise win because of better positioning myself in the last couple of turns. It's a feature, not a bug: you need to be aware of the game tempo & be sure to be ready for the 6th star to appear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.