Popular Tags: [View All]
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it just a guideline for convenience in operating your pieces, or is it a hard rule to preserve balance? What are some likely issues with sitting "out of order"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lori MacKenzie
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just sit where you can easily reach your pieces and you'll be good to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I think it's easier to sit near your faction starting area, since you will be mostly moving your pieces in that vicinity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I thought faction turn order might be by design. Is that not the case for balance?

SEATING order is for convenience reaching pieces, sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
I thought faction turn order might be by design. Is that not the case for balance?

SEATING order is for convenience reaching pieces, sure.

Turn order is clockwise, seating order is suggested to match the placement on the board. Hence this thread asking for clarification and insight from the designer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a thing I also like to know. I know it's convenient to sit next to your own pieces and part of the map but it would be interessting to know wether this was also done because of balancing aspects or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having random seating has been interesting for us. I'm finding that I'm sitting next to people I'd normally never sit next to. Like, I normally would never sit between my buddy and his gf, for instance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Jeffreys
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Turn order should follow the Factions clockwise around the board.
Seating order isn't critical as such, but it likely makes it easier to avoid an error in play order.

Adjacent factions (based on the location of the Home Base) are what cause Enlist Triggers also, rather than the seating order of the players.

The rules on Pages 6 & 8 indicate this;

Page 6, Faction Selection.
"... the seating order should be..."

Page 8, Starting Player
"Play proceeds clockwise from there."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
xorsyst xorsyst
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Korhil_NZ wrote:
Adjacent factions (based on the location of the Home Base) are what cause Enlist Triggers also, rather than the seating order of the players.

I misread this badly. It sounded like you were saying that they trigger on the faction of the next home base around the board, even if that faction isn't playing. So the advantage of having a bit more space is balanced by not getting enlist bonuses on that side!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xorsyst_uk wrote:
Korhil_NZ wrote:

I misread this badly. It sounded like you were saying that they trigger on the faction of the next home base around the board, even if that faction isn't playing. So the advantage of having a bit more space is balanced by not getting enlist bonuses on that side!

Yeah, that was worded strangely. Enlist triggers when you or the player to your immediate left or right take that bottom row action. Doesn't matter if there is a gap between factions being played.

As to the OP's question, I'm just curious as to how sitting in a different position at the table affect balance. Your starting pieces and home base are still going to be in the same place no matter where you sit, so the only thing different from sitting in different places would be having to reach farther to move your pieces or place/collect resources. Kind of confused by the question actually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Korhil_NZ wrote:

This is incorrect, the rules say, in italics, that Ongoing Bonuses are given to the players seated on your immediate right and left. The specific vocabulary indicated that it is not determined by faction position.

Korhil_NZ wrote:

Page 6, Faction Selection.
"... the seating order should be..."

Yes, I saw this, in fact, it is what prompted this thread.
The issue is with the use of the word "should". Many games make this mistake in their rules, "should" conveys an ambiguous connotation that leaves confusion as to whether the rule is a suggestion or not. If faction turn order were meant to always follow the same pattern the rules could have just said "Sit in this order" without room for interpretation. I understand that this is likely the intention so I also asked a followup question, to the designer, about insight into his design process and intention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Meighan
United States
Manahawkin
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Should" is actually the past tense of "shall." In statutory construction "shall" / "should" is used to indicate obligation, duty, or correctness. As opposed to "can" / "could" or "may" which indicates an optional decision.

That being said, many people commonly use "should" as a a firm suggestion instead of an obligation. Thus causing some confusion in rule interpretation.

The rules should have stated that the players "shall" be seated around the table according to their faction, and there would be less confusion. Or they could have used "must."

(See what I did there )

-One Wolf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Jeffreys
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Born-of-Ashes wrote:
This is incorrect, the rules say, in italics, that Ongoing Bonuses are given to the players seated on your immediate right and left. The specific vocabulary indicated that it is not determined by faction position.

Given the sections earlier in the rule book specify the players seating order should match the faction order, it amounts to the same thing.

More specifically, if you're choosing to sit in a random order, then both player order, and Enlist Triggers should use the Factions home base locations as the determining factor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.