Subject: What are your most expensive out of print games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Check out Clockwork Wars. It's a pretty darn good dudes on a hex map Euro'ish steampunk game. Quick and fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised at the supposed value of some of my games.

Space Hulk (third edition), $185 on Amazon
Glory to Rome, $245
Napoleon's Triumph, $299 (used!)
Axis & Allies Anniversary Edition, $508 ($325 used)
Discworld: Ankh-Morpork, $149
Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan, $390 !!!
Imperial 2030, $547 !!!!!! (I mean, this is just silly; I can see it way cheaper on BGG marketplace.)

Send me a check boys and girls and they're all yours!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
You're selling yourself short! If you go by amazon.CA prices, Sekigahara is $700CAD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lynch
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sekigahara:
Which edition? Small or deeper box? Does it matter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Check out Clockwork Wars. It's a pretty darn good dudes on a hex map Euro'ish steampunk game. Quick and fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mashpotassium wrote:
You're selling yourself short! If you go by amazon.CA prices, Sekigahara is $700CAD ;)

Sweet!!!

Except I don't wanna sell! I might sell some of those (I mean, Axis & Allies, really?) but Seki, NEVER!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
10/₆
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Sometimes, the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature"
mb
Probably Origins: How We Became Human, but maybe not. I have a lot of crazy expensive OOP games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably Ambush! and Move Out! Expansion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wahl
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Probably Origins: How We Became Human, but maybe not. I have a lot of crazy expensive OOP games

$230? I'm always surprised how some of these things appreciate. I guess Pax Porfiana/Greenland/Neanderthal sales and the High Frontier kickstarter (which is looking disastrous) is fueling older Phil Eklund game price rises.

For me I'd say Discretion, Housing Drive, Marketeer, maybe Mayan Sun, Aztec Destiny: 500 BC – AD 2012 – Beyond∞ and San Quentin Kings, and I have Origins. I don't know, I don't keep up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is what makes the price history feature in the BGG marketplace so useful. It quickly reveals some of these amazon OOP game prices as wishful thinking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feld Fan
United States
flag msg tools
Key Market...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
it's like an accident that we keep on knitting
badge
and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingdom Death: Monster

But it's coming back in print, so that'll change.

Wait, highest dollar value or percentage of markup? That might change things given that the MSRP is 400 bucks laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember that Amazon prices are, like eBay prices, what people WANT for a game or think they can get, not what it actually is worth. Doesnt cost them anything to put it up on Amazon with a high price and hope someone who doesn't know about games sees it and has to have it for their spouse/friend/grandkids who likes games. I highly doubt anyone is paying $600 for Star Wars: The Queen's Gambit. You never know, but still doubtful.

In answer to the question though, most expensive OOP game that I own now I think is Egizia. Most valuable I ever owned was the afore mentioned Queen's Gambit that I let go some years back for $260.

The danger with valuable OOP games is they drop like a rock as soon as a reprint is announced. I sold a El Grande Decennial Edition for about $120 about two months before the reprint was announced. Or Fury of Dracula (second edition).

There aren't too many games that I am convinced now will always hold their value...except for true collector's items like old school Acquire with wood tiles, etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
My OOP games:

Bruxelles 1893 (I think a reprint is forthcoming though)
Carcassonne: The City (Woodbox Edition)
Carson City: Big Box
Finca + Promo Tile
Ginkgopolis + Expansion
Glen More (RGG Edition)
Goa (recent Z-Man printing)
Palaces of Carrara
Troyes + Expansion + Promo (but being reprinted soon)
Scythe Collector's Edition
Viticulture Complete Collector's Edition
Web of Power
Royal Turf
Witch's Brew + Expansion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooooh... the 2000s are here again. Time to cash in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Norris
United States
Fincastle
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
K2 with regards to the greatest percentage jump.

I paid $30 and it is now selling for $90-120

a 300% - 400% increase!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glen More is also being reprinted soon with some improvements from Matthias the original designer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nowak
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You have paid retail for the last time.
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
mbmbmbmbmb
Iron Dragon (rules signed by Tom Wham)
Tinner's Trail (about to go up on ebay)
Glory to Rome
Heroscape. Lots of Heroscape.

Have a 1st Edition Betrayal at House on the Hill, those were selling ridiculously high for a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seikigahara is worth whatnow? *eyes shelf*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
God's Playground.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
I see that my version of Colosseum goes for $243 at Amazon.com though I have heard rumours that there is a new version of it, either coming out, or already out there.

A listing of Asara goes for $941 at this site, although you could get some for $21.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Walker
United States
Bolingbroke
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably the most valuable OOP I have is my Civilization/Advanced Civilization/Western Map Expansion set. Someone has the two-game set on Amazon for $654.98.

But I think that's blown away by my wife's complete Thunderstone Advanced set. I've seen every piece of that game going for at least $200 each on Amazon.

BGGtools seems to have gone down with the site revision, but that was a good place to get an idea of what's valuable. Not that I intend on getting rid of any game we have. Plan on passing our collection on to the kids and grandkids someday, along with our love of playing games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mashpotassium wrote:
You're selling yourself short! If you go by amazon.CA prices, Sekigahara is $700CAD

Knock the decimal left and you get what I paid in June (and it was the deep box).

Skutsch, were most of these prices just Amazon and its inflated used nonsense it likes to run. People can of course ask for whatever they want, but that is not reflective of value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
Most expensive was probably Doom: The Boardgame. I wasn't playing it though so I gave it to friend who lost his copy in a fire several years ago. After doing that I noticed they announced a new version of it so the price will probably drop on the old one.

W/O looking at it my guess would be some of the Robo Rally boards. Unfortunately I didn't get all of them and they are WAY to expensive to justify buying them now.

Edit: I did check and Star Wars: Epic Duels is going to ~$230 so that'll probably be it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthain wrote:
Mashpotassium wrote:
You're selling yourself short! If you go by amazon.CA prices, Sekigahara is $700CAD ;)

Knock the decimal left and you get what I paid in June :D (and it was the deep box).

Skutsch, were most of these prices just Amazon and its inflated used nonsense it likes to run. People can of course ask for whatever they want, but that is not reflective of value.

I know, I know. I just like feeling rich.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
I have very few OOP games, but the most valuable ones would be After Pablo and The Speicherstadt (+ Kaispecher expansion). I don't know what they're actually worth, though.

darthain wrote:
Mashpotassium wrote:

Knock the decimal left and you get what I paid in June (and it was the deep box).

I thought how crazily inflated the prices were was the point of this thread laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ace hawkster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine is heroquest and every UK expansion (so not the barbarian or elf ones ) but all the other ones (just wished I'd sleeved the cards ) no idea of its combined worth though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.