$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 65.11

4,592 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
28.9% of Goal | 29 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » General

Subject: I Saw at Gen Con and Passed on buying rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich M
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw the game at GenCon and talked to a company rep who did a really good job explaining the rules and gameplay. The quality of components is good but not great. Component quality for the cost not that great. Gameplay for the money can be good. The main issue is that the design per the company rep even said was really a 3 person affair. I thought this odd as most games shoot for 2 and more as the sweet spot. They did talk about expansions increasing the number to 4 people + . The big issue I have with the game is that being a 3 person game really knocks it out for a lot of gamers as it stands currently without expansions or a good system for 2 players. As with all opinions take this one and add it too the mix and make up your own mind if it will work for you and your gaming group.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game was a must buy for me, until I learned that is was 3 players only, It's hard to always have 3 players to play, and they fact that it's a heavy and long game makes it even more difficult to get 3 people willing to play. I hope to play it one day, but I won't be buying it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Long
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it possible to play solitaire?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
El Supremo wrote:
Is it possible to play solitaire?


Not at this time.

Some of the NPC expansions may make this 2-player in the future, but I doubt it.

The 3-player limitation will make it harder to find players in my group because we have so many who are interested in it. When the expansions come out we will have bigger games and will be able to get more people in. Especially once expansion 3 comes out and we can do 2 separate games of 3!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
what you could try is to buy 2 sets and thus have more players by having some factions represented twice.

the game length is actually pretty good, once you know the rules turns tend to go quite fast
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
Angelsenior wrote:
what you could try is to buy 2 sets and thus have more players by having some factions represented twice.

the game length is actually pretty good, once you know the rules turns tend to go quite fast


I thought of that. The problem is on the board. Players would have to share resources because you couldn't tell who's is who's.

We may try and do 4 games in a day. 3 games of 3. Those 3 get to choose who they want to play in a final game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark S
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Thanks for the comments. Just heard about that 3 player thing. Guess the two of us may try taking turns with the Klingons and see if that works out. Definitely waiting for this one at cool stuff. Just not worth that price at the con or online form gf9.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RODRIGO MAIA MANIQUE
Brazil
RIO DE JANEIRO
flag msg tools
mbmb
I already purchased my copy. Since other two expansions are around the corner. And hope to see the borgs!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Rockin Rocko wrote:
I saw the game at GenCon and talked to a company rep who did a really good job explaining the rules and gameplay. The quality of components is good but not great. Component quality for the cost not that great. Gameplay for the money can be good. The main issue is that the design per the company rep even said was really a 3 person affair. I thought this odd as most games shoot for 2 and more as the sweet spot. They did talk about expansions increasing the number to 4 people + . The big issue I have with the game is that being a 3 person game really knocks it out for a lot of gamers as it stands currently without expansions or a good system for 2 players. As with all opinions take this one and add it too the mix and make up your own mind if it will work for you and your gaming group.

Too bad it didn't work for you, but I disagree with the notion that 2P is a must have for "most" or "a lot of" gamers. I know few people that regularly play 2P and many euros are 3+ on the player count.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Cunningham
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmathias wrote:
This game was a must buy for me, until I learned that is was 3 players only


It's actually two to three players, not three players only.

I bought it at Gencon because I absolutely loved the explanation of the game given to a few of us at Origins by GF9, and after reading the rules before the convention. I played it that very night at the convention and liked it even more. I do think it's a bit overpriced for what you get, I won't argue that. But the 3 player limitation is a temporary thing. They'll be releasing race expansions that will take it up to four with the Cardassians in October, then five with the Ferengi later this year. They'll release more and I guess you could play with 6 or higher even as time goes by, but that would make for a ridiculously long game, I would imagine.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
hepcat1 wrote:
It's actually two to three players, not three players only.

The box specifically says "3 Players".
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Maiz
United States
Palmyra
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you can play with 2+. The nice part is you can start as close or far apart as you want. The rules 'suggest' a set distance but if you wanted a faster game, you can get closer together and give more starting resources. If you want a more explore type game, spread out.

The core game has 3 races, but as they release more expansions, you can mix and match as you want.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Cunningham
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SirRoke wrote:
hepcat1 wrote:
It's actually two to three players, not three players only.

The box specifically says "3 Players".


Hmmm...I didn't see anything in the rulebook that said 3 player only, and I've read reports of folks playing it two player, so I assumed it was 2 to 3 player. However, you are correct about the box. My mistake.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Number of players Final Answer
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

This post is not about ST:A specifically, but the OP's sentiment about three player games got me writing...

Should I consider myself fortunate that other than two players, three players is usually the group size that I can assemble? I.e., me and two other gamer friends, or me and two family members (who'll play a game, that is)! At my age (north of 50), it's not like I've got a bunch of boardgame-loving friends hanging out about town.

I also belong to a boardgame Meetup group... There's always those times when there's usually that one odd-out person without a game that makes a three player game perfect! Or consider that three player games, by definition, don't have as much down time as four-player.

I have absolutely NOTHING against the OP, as his sentiment is all too common, which is the reason for my post now... I just have never understood why three-player games are the "bastard step-children" of the gaming world.

I own several really good three player games which are among my favorites. So I guess that I'm venting: "Why all the hate against three players"?

All above said with a very light tone, of course.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.