Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Browes
United Kingdom
London
Tooting
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Read this a couple of times and am still trying to work out if it's the rulebook or my understanding of it that's at fault.

The example is really long so apologies for not reproducing it in full, but here's the gist.

Jake and pals are fighting Bama on Jake's turn. Pepzi* attacks, and rolls 1/3/4/4/5/5 for two hits and four misses. Jake plays a True Grit Special to enable Pepzi to reroll. She rerolls FOUR dice, which is where my problem lies.

One of Bama's combat abilities is that 1s and 2s may never be rerolled, but Pepzi has just done exactly that.

What gives? Here are my possibilities:

1) The example is wrong.

2) I'm misreading it somehow.

3) Pepzi has an ability that I don't know about that enables her(?) to do this. I have the retail edition, no Pepzi to be found therein, is she a KS exclusive character maybe?

4) Jake's ability to ignore Bama's combat skills still works, because the attack is happening on his turn, even though it's Pepzi who is doing the attack.

If it's 4 though, why does the start of the example make a point of specifying that Pepzi and Frank can roll the required 4 dice to participate?

Maybe I'm just confused after having my ass handed to me by these darn raiders two games in a row.

Any insight gratefully received.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Daaaaannnngg! That is some excellent reasoning there, truly worthy of a response from Richard Launius.

Pepzi was a character that didn't make it into the game. Richard lobbied hard to have her included, but she didn't make the cut. I hope she returns, maybe with a sibling or cousin named MAD MOXIE; but I digress.

If this game follows Defenders of the Realm logic, I'd say Bama's ability trumps the special card Jake played. So Pepzi couldn't re-roll the dice that failed with a 1 or 2 (in this example, it's 1 die.) Now if Jake was making the attack himself, then he could re-roll dice with a '1' or '2' since he gets to ignore Bama's ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Battle Droid
Australia
flag msg tools
Nice find Brack, I mean Joe
Without knowing Pepzi's skills and abilities, we would have to go with 1) the example is wrong.

Now switch to normal view (normal view, normal view, normal vieeeeewww)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Browes
United Kingdom
London
Tooting
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Droideka_D84 wrote:
Nice find Brack, I mean Joe
Without knowing Pepzi's skills and abilities, we would have to go with 1) the example is wrong.

Now switch to normal view (normal view, normal view, normal vieeeeewww)

Thanks, that was my take on it as well.

But, how very dare you, I'm Exeter, Brack is merely my lowly assistant!

(I never fail to be pleased that I am Not Alone when it comes to my love of This Island Earth.)

Exeter out, cue theremin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
But do you love This Island Earth or Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie which featured This Island Earth?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Pepzi is probably my favorite Ranger character and as a gambler and gunslinger has the ability to reroll failed dice from her first attack. We should have changed the example since she was not produced, but failed to do that. I will make sure the example changes if the game is reprinted.

I wish she had been produced, but she was held for a higher level because it was thought that she would be a popular incentive. But the KickStarter sputterd and did not achieve the levels expected, so she was shelved.

Hopefully this clears up the mystery.

Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.