Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Thrower
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ten year old is studying the Blitz next term at school. I felt a game might be a fantastic teaching aid/show and tell opportunity. However, I doubt there's anything with even the vaguest historical or simulation value that's quick and easy enough for that age. Is there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle of Britain by Richard Borg might be an option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul C
England
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the smallest & cheapest game on the subject, but it's neither simple nor fast enough for a casual gamer (regardless of their age), and I think the nature of the campaign makes any game on the subject fundamentally complex to some extent-

Eagle Day: The Battle of Britain

Also, I could be wrong, but I assume that the Blitz topic would be covered by the school primarily from the civilian perspective, with little attention to the actual aerial conflict itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul C
England
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:
Battle of Britain by Richard Borg might be an option.

New version Kickstarter about to end, estimated delivery Feb '17.
Very attractive components. But I think it's still a bit much for a 10yo unless they are very interested in the subject and/or wargames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Weiler
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you are looking for a very light game 303 might be a good fit. It plays very quick - but there really isn't any greater simulation value to be found. It's as basic as it gets.

You can try an online version here:
http://pamiec.pl/ftp/303/index.php
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Thrower
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
capracaligo wrote:
Also, I could be wrong, but I assume that the Blitz topic would be covered by the school primarily from the civilian perspective, with little attention to the actual aerial conflict itself.

No, I'm sure you're right. I just thought a game would be a good way to get in a bit of extra learning without it seeming so. Understanding the strategic reasons behind the importance of the Battle of Britain is an important angle in understanding the civilian reaction to it, after all.

I'd rather skip it than try getting a kid to play something too complex for them.

Thanks very much for the suggestion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James D. Williams
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe the Bernice masterpiece series?
I got a B.o.B game 5 years ago made in Britain that had miniature planes mounted on small stands and a grid on the map for movement. I gave it to the hobby shop. Targets, movement ,altitude, planning, all simple.

The B.o.B. is Geography and Weapons limited to August '41. Before and after fills hundreds of books.
A quick visit to wiki B.o.B. should demonstrate the 10-year-old's capacity to grasp and retain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Robinson
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
At wargamevault Table Air Combat has a pnp that allows simulating the abilities of the various aircraft involved in the Blitz.

Table Air Combat Rules -- Pay what you want
Spitfire Pay what you want
Battle of Britain Bundle $9

Marco's Review

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul C
England
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't mind focusing on the dogfighting, here's a fast-playing abstract card game which has optional campaigns (including BoB, Midway, Stalingrad) to link a series of dogfights-

Down in Flames: Aces High
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul C
England
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just come across this game- 303 Squadron (Polish) RAF - Battle of Britain Game that sounds like it might fit the bill-

An Excellent, Short Gateway Wargame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Hon
Canada
Maple
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe London's Burning? As a wargame it is not particularly difficult to learn but I won't call it a beginner's game. AH rated it 2 out of 4 difficulty-wise, and here on BGG it has a game weight of about 2.5 out of 5. It's a solitaire game so maybe you can help him play along.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
capracaligo wrote:
If you don't mind focusing on the dogfighting, here's a fast-playing abstract card game which has optional campaigns (including BoB, Midway, Stalingrad) to link a series of dogfights-

Down in Flames: Aces High

I am currently giving away a copy of this game to a lucky BGG user, along with its sister game, Down in Flames: WWII-Guns Blazing, and the expansion for use with both, Down in Flames: Wingmen Expansion.

Item for Geeklist "BGG WARGAME Chain of Generosity"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Port Macquarie
NSW
flag msg tools
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
Fight for the Sky
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Smith
United Kingdom
Newport Pagnell
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
For a ten year old Fighter Command Game might be the thing, if you can find a copy. Quick and simple, 3D peg board movement but I remember having a blast playing this as a teenager and then when slightly older as a quick beer and pretzel game. Mind you, it depends on your 10 year old... If they like boardgames already then other suggestions here are probably good. Though to be honest for someone this age maybe you need to be thinking digital to entice their interest (though what do I know)? In which case have a look at a super super simple flash game at www.kongregate.com/games/channelfour/battle-of-britain-303-s...

Fi, I know from my Mrs who is a teacher that the BBC have a few very simple educational games on WW2 - there is one on an SOE mission and one for the battle for the atlanic but sadly not the BOB, see http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/interactive/games/#worldwars
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for 303. It's what you are looking for. The Imperial War Museum has a free online version of the game here--

http://pamiec.pl/ftp/303/index.php
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Daquin
Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have still 3 days to go as of today:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1992455033/battle-of-br...

Fun, light game that is a re-edition of a well loved game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
France
Paris
flag msg tools
designer
That's a Palm Pilot on the left, and a pink iPod mini on the right. Yes, I've been doing BGTG that long!
badge
http://www.WargamesToGo.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing a lot of Battle of Britain games lately, and my tastes run to the simpler wargames. Even so, I'd think most of the suggestions above would be too much for most 10 year olds with a school topic. As much as I love London's Burning, for example, I don't think it's what you're looking for.

Put me down as another recommending 303. It's super light, maybe too light for what you're after, but I think you want to err on that side, not the other. Comes with a great educational/historical booklet, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Milis
United Kingdom
Cranham
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi Matt,

Don't forget to show him the episodes from the old T.V series World at War. Actual Footage, interviews with people and very well put together documentary. You can find it on you tube.

Regards,

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Games I want to play on VASSAL: ASL, ASLSK, GMT CDG's I own
badge
Games I want to play on VASSAL: ASL, ASLSK, GMT CDG's I own
mbmbmbmbmb
MattDP wrote:
Ten year old is studying the Blitz next term at school. I felt a game might be a fantastic teaching aid/show and tell opportunity. However, I doubt there's anything with even the vaguest historical or simulation value that's quick and easy enough for that age. Is there?

How about RAF: The Battle of Britain 1940? You can play a solo campaign with him, or 2-player game, with him as RAF. As long as you can guide him, the decisions he has to make are very easy: Where to send fighters on patrol. In fact, this is why I don't like the game: It has too few and too easy decisions. It struck me that it would be excellent for teaching someone history, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick West
Scotland
Colinton
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yet another vote for "303" - just tried it and it is actually there are quite a bit of tactics involved.

Not sure it really teaches much about the Battle, but if it is clear that the real targets of the RAF were the bombers rather than the glamour of dog-fighting with fighters then the most important lesson has been learned.

If you explain about early warning radar, which is completely absent, then it is a reasonable too.

In fact I wonder if you could abstract that by house-ruling in some way a limited view for the German player, like he is not allowed to look at the screen but has a hex map instead but only with RAF planes placed on there by the RAF player if within, say, one or two hexes (an approximation to visual) of any of his aircraft? The German player tells him where he is moving or what he is firing upon and the RAF player inputs it into the game. Might work?

Obviously would make it far more difficult for the Germans but maybe more reflective of their difficulties?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A slight problem with the Blitz, as a school subject or a game, is the political underpinning of it.

Charles de Gaulle visits Churchill in the summer of 1940, to find him shaking his hand at the sky. The reason was at that time no German bomb had fallen on a British city, whereas Bomber command had been trying, without much success, to drop bombs on German cities since May.

Extra marks: the city bombed on more days than any other during the Blitz was Hull. Its usually not mentioned because it was regarded as a military target.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin halloran
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Apologies for being pedantic but British sources differentiate between the Battle of Britain, 10 July to 31 October 1940, and the Blitz (primarily night bombing of around 16 towns and cities), 7 September 1940 to 21 May 1941. In the former Fighter Command was the main British participant but apart from some generally futile night fighter operations in the Blitz British aircraft played a marginal role. Wargames featuring dogfights etc basically tell you nothing at all about the Blitz which was mainly a civilian, Civil Defence and AA effort by the Brits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.