Sushi Go Party!» Forums » General

Subject: Uramaki overpowered? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Timothy Smith
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I was thinking last playthrough about how collecting Uramaki is worth so many more points than Maki Rolls. It made me question if the card was overpowered. Typically in Sushi Go, a "good" card is worth 3 points and a card typically can't be worth more than 4. Uramaki typically doesn't break this as the best set (2 fives) can still only be worth 8 points. (In a crazy scenario where there's only one Uramaki card though it's worth all 8.) However, it still seems much more than Maki, where worst-case one card could be worth six points if there's only one there, but that's so unlikely that it typically ends up that one Maki card is worth about 2 or less points even when you get the most. Uramaki seems to grant the winner roughly 2.67 points per card since it typically takes three cards to win. There is also much less risk because coming in second still gives you five points.

I think the card isn't "too good" but it's certainly very good and way more powerful than the other two roll cards in my opinion. I'm not confident about my calculations though since I don't really know how competing factors into card worth. What do you guys think? Is it too many points?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferdinand "Cardboard Stacker" Capitulo
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about wasabi and squid? That's 9 points on two cards. Also, green tea ice cream and onigiri are worth 4 points each card when scoring optimally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inky Bloc
msg tools
mrmage8 wrote:
How about wasabi and squid? That's 9 points on two cards. Also, green tea ice cream and onigiri are worth 4 points each card when scoring optimally.

Green Tea Ice Cream is only three points per card.

I don't think the question of whether Uramaki are more powerful than Maki is a super relevant one because they'll never be on the same menu, and they provide different types of gameplay. Uramaki might be more tempting to go for, but in a game with Maki you'll have your own unique considerations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferdinand "Cardboard Stacker" Capitulo
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right Inky, it is three points. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Smith
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Oh yeah, I forgot about the combo. Getting 4 Onigiri though is super rare in the games I've played, but I just meant to say that 4 points per card isn't that unusual, just really good (Of course there's soy sauce and other 4 point situations).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenna Asplund
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmb
I've played a few games with Uramaki and I always ignored it and went for other card sets. In most of the games I've played I've let the other players fight over the rolls and focused on building points through other cards, which has worked well for me so far. I've almost always won.

But I've mostly played with people who have less experience with the game then I do. If I went up against someone who was really determined to block my sets I'm sure I wouldn't do as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.