Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Will Pell
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bought the first Tactics set for cheap, now trying to get my money's worth out of it. It seems as though the replay value is quite limited - I doubt I'll want to go through the three scenario books more than three times each, and the simple skirmishes I've done to get used to the rules are extremely boring. Furthermore, the rulebook may be a lot larger and more in-depth than for SOTM, but it leaves a lot to be desired; I really wish GTG would abandon their love of large-print Comic Sans and just make a proper rulebook, with 1000 or more words in it, to cover all the basic rules in sufficient depth that I'm not forced to go on the Internet with hat in hand, begging for clarifications. Alas, this has not occurred, so here me and my hat are.

Here are the biggest issues I've noticed so far, which I need an answer to before I can hope to get very far playing the game.

1. What exactly does it mean for an object (whether Ra himself or his Blazing Tornado, as well as various Baron Blade devices) to "generate hazard spaces"? The way we played this was to simply have Ra leave a Lava token in each space he moved out of, but that seemed wrong; if the flames Ra starts never actually go away, doesn't that kind of make victory inevitable for him? Also, there's nothing on the Blazing Tornado card that says it can actually move; does it just have to be respawned by returning the card to your hand and then placing it again?

2. On average, how many map boards should you use for a game? Two of the three skirmishes I've done so far included Tachyon, and her ability to get a move value of 7 is a lot more useful if the map has 8 mega-hexes than if it has 2. Also, while I think it's a good idea for making play more convenient, are you actually required to align all the map boards so that their elevation dots are on the same side of every hex?

3. Are the villains balanced versus the heroes for skirmish play? Omnitron seems like he might be awfully powerful in a one-on-one match, given all that health. Also, is the Omni-Reaper playable as a separate character (using Omnitron's power cards), or is it only ever used in Omnitron-V's scenario book? If you play Omnitron in a skirmish, do you also control the Reaper, and if so, how the hell is it fair to have 15 health across your two forms, when at best your opponent might have like 12 if he plays two normal characters?

4. For skirmish games, how many heroes should each player generally take, and how many incapacitations should you play for? What exactly happens when you're incapacitated - if you get pushed into a hazard space, do you take damage instantly when you respawn, or is the hazard completely irrelevant as long as you move out of it on your turn?

5. Given that it's not in any of the scenarios, can the Monorail be used for anything, or is it just wasted cardboard to someone who isn't going to be buying any expansions anytime soon?

That'll get me started, but I'm sure to have more questions after my next look at the rulebook. I remember encountering numerous issues that made the game all but unplayable in skirmish mode; please feel free to volunteer any information that a newbie ought to know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dániel Lányi
Hungary
Budapest
* -Not Applicable-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
willpell wrote:
the simple skirmishes I've done to get used to the rules are extremely boring.

3v3 to 3 incapacitations is the way to go. I guess you did something like 1v1 or 2v2 which is okay for rules practice but that really good otherwise

willpell wrote:

...rulebook...

well, at least we have a great faq
http://www.spiffworld.com/tactics/files/tactics_faq.pdf

willpell wrote:

1. What exactly does it mean for an object (whether Ra himself or his Blazing Tornado, as well as various Baron Blade devices) to "generate hazard spaces"? The way we played this was to simply have Ra leave a Lava token in each space he moved out of, but that seemed wrong; if the flames Ra starts never actually go away, doesn't that kind of make victory inevitable for him? Also, there's nothing on the Blazing Tornado card that says it can actually move; does it just have to be respawned by returning the card to your hand and then placing it again?

That's just really confusing wording "generates hazard spaces" means nothing more that "is hazard spaces". Yes you can only move the tornado by returning it and putting down another card and then on your next turn you can play the tornado again.

willpell wrote:

2. On average, how many map boards should you use for a game? Two of the three skirmishes I've done so far included Tachyon, and her ability to get a move value of 7 is a lot more useful if the map has 8 mega-hexes than if it has 2. Also, while I think it's a good idea for making play more convenient, are you actually required to align all the map boards so that their elevation dots are on the same side of every hex?

Ambuscade can basically teleport anywhere using his cloacking device. If you know how to use the characters even though they might appear OP they are pretty well balanced. 2 megahexes aren't enough even for characters with normal movement. You can modify the game a bit by making smaller or bigger maps, just pick your characters knowing their strengths and weaknesses.

willpell wrote:

Also, while I think it's a good idea for making play more convenient, are you actually required to align all the map boards so that their elevation dots are on the same side of every hex?

I know of no such requirment, except maybe for the scenarios I guess, but definetly not for skirmish.

willpell wrote:

3. Are the villains balanced versus the heroes for skirmish play? Omnitron seems like he might be awfully powerful in a one-on-one match, given all that health. Also, is the Omni-Reaper playable as a separate character (using Omnitron's power cards), or is it only ever used in Omnitron-V's scenario book? If you play Omnitron in a skirmish, do you also control the Reaper, and if so, how the hell is it fair to have 15 health across your two forms, when at best your opponent might have like 12 if he plays two normal characters?

The game is balanced in 3v3 skirmish play. I just tried Omnitron in a skirmish, and while it had a lot of health, it had a hard time moving around, no extra defense (rocket jumping even reduced defense) and good but not great attacks so it felt balanced.
I'm not sure about the reaper but IIRC recently there was another thread with this exact question.

willpell wrote:

4. For skirmish games, how many heroes should each player generally take, and how many incapacitations should you play for? What exactly happens when you're incapacitated - if you get pushed into a hazard space, do you take damage instantly when you respawn, or is the hazard completely irrelevant as long as you move out of it on your turn?

From the faq:
"Standing up on your next turn after incapacitation does not count as entering the space since you were technically already there, so standing up in a hazard space wouldn’t immediately trigger the hazard."

willpell wrote:

5. Given that it's not in any of the scenarios, can the Monorail be used for anything, or is it just wasted cardboard to someone who isn't going to be buying any expansions anytime soon?

I think it's just something you can play with

willpell wrote:
That'll get me started, but I'm sure to have more questions after my next look at the rulebook. I remember encountering numerous issues that made the game all but unplayable in skirmish mode; please feel free to volunteer any information that a newbie ought to know.

There are tournament games on youtube, they are very nice. I'd suggest you try watching one to get the whole feel of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD Snider
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The monorail is used in the Ambuscade scenario in the Uprising expansion pack. You could probably incorporate it into a custom scenario easily enough though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
While not officially sanctioned, my group uses the Omni-reaper in matches. We give it the Drone Deployment scenario power and the one Omnitron-V card he is allowed by his panel. It works really well.

recommended fight size I would go 2v2, 3v3, or even 2v2v2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.