Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trevor Franklin
United States
Vale
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just went to my local dollar tree and they have bags of 10 very small (1.2 oz) containers. They are tiny plastic bowls with white lids. Have both round and square shaped. Seem nice for games with lots of small cubes or chits, especially for 10 cents each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
These are great. They come in and out of stock. I have never seen the round ones in the wild. Might have to make a trip out this evening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
FranklinT wrote:
Just went to my local dollar tree and they have bags of 10 very small (1.2 oz) containers. They are tiny plastic bowls with white lids. Have both round and square shaped. Seem nice for games with lots of small cubes or chits, especially for 10 cents each.

fwiw it's not a new item... they also come in two different shapes... round or square, see

https://www.dollartree.com/Sure-Fresh-Mini-Storage-Container...

do note they are hit or miss finding them at any given dollar tree at any given time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Koenig
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Yeah those containers are great, I use them for so many games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Daly
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
i_am_davester wrote:
Yeah those containers are great, I use them for so many games.

Agreed. I bought a couple packs and they come in really handy. Just be aware that the plastic they're made of is a bit brittle. I've dropped an empty one on a hard floor surface and had it crack almost in half.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Franklin
United States
Vale
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess these aren't news to most people, but here they are with via nebula pieces (since that insert ended up being useless in my copy).

They are totally perfect for each of the 5 wooden resources in via nebula.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nāt
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't recommend these enough! So much easier for set up and clean up, plus their square shape makes them fit easily in game boxes. They can hold a surprising number of wooden and cardboard components. It's like they were custom made for games like Shipyard. Great for when you don't want to or can't use a big Plano organizer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Baldassar
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been buying them off and on for the past 5 years or so, stay away from the round ones, strictly my opinion but it seems like the lids don't stay on as well as the square ones
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben McGuire
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What are the dimensions? Do they fit in game boxes? Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jyothi
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
tebald wrote:
I've been buying them off and on for the past 5 years or so, stay away from the round ones, strictly my opinion but it seems like the lids don't stay on as well as the square ones

Ymmv. I love the round ones to differentiate from the square (and in games like CoMKL where there are circular bits). I've used way more rectangular ones -- but really like having a few circular ones around too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Franklin
United States
Vale
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
raymeus3 wrote:
What are the dimensions? Do they fit in game boxes? Thanks

Plenty of room to fit in game boxes. Here is the via nebula box (ticket to ride size) with board underneath and still plenty of room. Can't find my tape measure, but I estimate 1.25" tall and maybe 2" wide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy these by the case online. Love 'em!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love them.
Another great way I use them is to use one box for each player for games that have several different components distributed to each player as part of a game's setup. When you're putting things away after a gaming session, return all the components needed for each player at the start of the game into individual boxes so that the next time you bring out the game, all you have to do is give each player a player startup box. Simplifies setup so much faster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FranklinT wrote:

Very old news, it's been on here many times over the years. In a 1 minute search I found this:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1587728/dollar-tree-31-best...

And here are some pics as examples of what I have posted in hot deals about 4 times in the last year or so:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Folsom
United States
Wilmore
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
secoAce wrote:
I love them.
Another great way I use them is to use one box for each player for games that have several different components distributed to each player as part of a game's setup. When you're putting things away after a gaming session, return all the components needed for each player at the start of the game into individual boxes so that the next time you bring out the game, all you have to do is give each player a player startup box. Simplifies setup so much faster.

This helps so much in games where you have starting money or something. Speeds up the process
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David H
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Thanks for the heads up on these.

Where are they usually located in the stores? Is it more seasonal (generally up front) or in the kitchen area?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beez Neez
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
SBelmont wrote:
Thanks for the heads up on these.

Where are they usually located in the stores? Is it more seasonal (generally up front) or in the kitchen area?

Check the kitchen area first, but they could be anywhere. And i have found them on separate racks, not on the regular shelves
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Franklin
United States
Vale
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found them in the area with plastic containers and bowls, but as others said, they were hanging separately. Come 10 to a plastic bag.

For those commenting that this is old news, I definitely understand and am not surprised. But the counterpoint is that some people (like me) would never come across something like this by searching old forums pages. It's not something most would even know to look for in a search of old forums.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Dorito
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you Trevor for this thread.
I went and cleaned out my local store of the square ones meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin McGraw
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I forgot about these! Thanks for the pics. I was planning on running errands tomorrow and will now be making a stop at the Dollar Tree!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince G.
United States
Reynoldsburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One time I went into Dollar Tree and I found bonus 12-packs of these containers (both round and rectangular) in a bin right by the front door. I didn't even bother to walk further into the store, just grabbed a couple and headed straight to the checkout.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Franklin
United States
Vale
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starlost151 wrote:
One time I went into Dollar Tree and I found bonus 12-packs of these containers (both round and rectangular) in a bin right by the front door. I didn't even bother to walk further into the store, just grabbed a couple and headed straight to the checkout.

I love when dollar tree does stuff like that. It's hard to imagine someone thinking, hmm, 10 for a dollar was a bit high, but 12 is alright! It's carry that they can make these so cheap that selling them for 8 cents each turns a profit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Gathers
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've used these for years. They are great and help eliminate baggies. Makes setup quick too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Franklin
United States
Vale
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the life of a mad man. Someone please help me.

But it's pretty cool that's only $1.30 worth of bowls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David H
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Side question - what is the general consensus on what to do with the factory game inserts when an aftermarket solution is used like in this case?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.