Subject: Vague app orders for monsters move (Deep One Hybrid) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gandalf White
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I am not sure if I resolve monster move orders correctly.
When app says 'move Deep One Hybrid 2 spaces towards the nearest investigator' and then I got two options to choose from: 'monster attacks' or 'no investigator in space' - the everything is simple.
But sometimes the option is 'no investigator within 2 spaces' which gives me headache. If I understand this correctly: I first move monster 2 spaces towards nearest investigator and THEN check if there is an investigator within 2 spaces (thematically I take it as monster moves a bit and then spots investigator and charges with attack or throws something on him)??? So after monster moves 2 spaces and then there is investigator within 2 spaces after the move I click 'monster attacks' and if there still is no investigator within two spaces I just do 'no investigator within 2 spaces'. Could someone confirm this is correct?
On my first play after monster move I treated this as app was asking if there was investigator within two spaces from monster's initial space and after monster move I would click 'no investigator within 2 spaces' even though there was investigator one space away but now I think it wasn't correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
Some monsters have a melee attack, some monsters have a ranged attack. If the former, the app ask you if there are investigators in the space, if the latter if investigators are within a certain range.

Hope this helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Crouch
United Kingdom
Tadley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Julia is right. The app asks you to move the Monster to the investigator within its movement range (up to 2 spaces) that has a certain property (e.g. most damage). You make this monster movement (which may mean moving away from an adjacent investigator if another investigator in range is higher in that property).

The app then wants to know whether there is now an investigator in 'weapons range' if you like, of the Monster. The app will ask 'in the monsters space' if the Monster's attack is melee type, or 'in range' (within 3 spaces, and not hidden by a wall or door), for a ranged monster attack. So you tell the app whether there is now an investigator in weapons range, and if there is, the Monster can attack the investigator. If there isn't, generally the monster will move further towards its target as a second move, but doesn't get to attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gandalf White
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Thanks for explaining. That was somehow not clear enough for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dax is
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have a exact example. But sometimes it tell you to move toward an investigator and then when you indicate one isn't there it tell you to move again. Is that right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
daxis32 wrote:
I don't have a exact example. But sometimes it tell you to move toward an investigator and then when you indicate one isn't there it tell you to move again. Is that right?

Yes, this could happen as well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Be sure to read the movement and attack instructions each time. They are not always the same. There are sometimes different options based on how the monster is moving or attacking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Williams
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
daxis32 wrote:

Noooo, this as far as I'm aware never happens.

What it is asking is "Are there any investigators within 2 spaces of the monster" if not, you press no investigators within range. Then it tells you to move that monster 2 spaces towards the nearest investigator. So, you only move the monster 1 time (2 spaces). Not 4 spaces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Vetter
Denmark
Hilleroed
flag msg tools
GammaGoblinz wrote:
daxis32 wrote:

What it is asking is "Are there any investigators within 2 spaces of the monster" if not, you press no investigators within range. Then it tells you to move that monster 2 spaces towards the nearest investigator. So, you only move the monster 1 time (2 spaces). Not 4 spaces.

I experienced this yesterday with the hybrids. It actully said if no investigator was in the space as far as I recall. And then I clicked no and then it moved AGAIN. We thought it was a bug though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Ober
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GammaGoblinz wrote:
daxis32 wrote:

This has definitely happened to us. It says something like "move the monster 2 spaces towards the nearest investigator. The monster attacks the investigator in it's space that has the lowest X." When we clicked the "There is no investigator in the space" button, the app said "move the monster 2 spaces."

We ended up just moving them 2 spaces, but I don't think we played it right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vigo Velito
United States
Haymarket
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not a bug. This is how monster movement works...essentially like investigators monsters have 2 actions, they will be priority move and attack if possible. If it cannot attack for it's second action it will move twice. A little obfuscated with the app. But that is how it is supposed to work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.