Zombicide: Black Plague» Forums » Variants

Subject: Cthulhu Abominations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
daniel bullen
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmb
Since I got Cthulhu Wars at about the same time, I wondered about some Lovecraftian influence in ZBP. Here's a few ideas for Cthulhu-bominations...

All 3 of these cause Insanity rather than physical wounds (see Insanity table below)

HP 3*, XP 5
SPECIAL: moves 1 space per round towards largest group of survivors, passes through all walls, zombies etc (incorporeal). Immune to non-magic attacks, but damage from magic stacks.

HP 3, XP 5
SPECIAL: roll 1d6 for movement, on 1 - 5 move than many spaces towards largest group (walls, doors etc apply), on a 6 it vanishes. Normal abomination damage/HP rules apply.

HP *, XP 5
SPECIAL: move 1 space per round, each round if sharing a space with 1 or more zombies, 1 zombie is absorbed and HP increases by 1. HP starts at 1. Damage against this creature stacks.

INSANITY
Instead of physical wound, roll for Insanity. Effects of Insanity stack.
2d6
2. Lose 1 action next turn
3. Lose 2 actions next turn
4. Lose 3 actions next turn
5. Lose 1 action for rest of current quest
6. Every PC in this zone loses 1 action next turn
7. Lose -3 XP
8. Gain Phobia: Magic - cannot use magic
9. Gain Phobia: Blades - cannot use blade weapons
10. Gain Phobia: Fire - cannot use torch or magic fires
11. Gain Phobia: Claustrophobia - cannot move into a space with more than 1 PC already in it
12. Nothing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carmen Cerra
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In true Lovecraftian fashion, you should simply put the exit at the mouth of one of the elder ones, so that when the survivors finish, even if they are successful, they will still be devoured into oblivion

These rules look good -- I like the insanity ideas; those should take a few players down a notch who think the game is too easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think at least one possibility for going insane should either be running away from all zombies in blind panic or running towards and attacking the nearest group of zombies, regardless of how likely that is to end in death...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Claustrophobia doesn't have anything to do with being around other people; it has to deal with enclosed spaces. I'd do it - Claustrophobia: get one less action whenever you begin your turn inside a building. That way you could also add Agoraphobia: get one less action whenever you begin your turn in a street space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek VDG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Losing actions is a pretty severe penalty. I would probably cap it at -1 action max, and change others to either fewer dice (min 1), or minus to hit (6 always hits).

For #11, that doesn't necessarily match well. I might suggest "Paranoia", which gives a penalty while in the same zone as another Survivor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
QorDaq H'Nter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I could see these working as a Card Deck in place of a dice roll. Then you could weight it however you like, with a greater number of "Until the End of your Next Activation" types of cards and make the really nasty stuff less common?

Cool idea regardless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.