30.9% of Goal | 28 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
31 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: 5 reasons why Arkham Horror: the Card Game is my most anticipated game ever rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been in the hobby for about 5 years. One of the first games that got my attention was the Lord of the Rings LCG. Once I started playing that it immediately became my favorite game and has never not been. Nothing else I've played has even come close to giving me the entertainment that LoTR does.

So when a couple months ago a picture of the Arkham Horror card game appeared on the internet I was instantly intrigued. I'm a big fan of both the Arkham Horror board game and it's dice counterpart, Elder Sign. Through those games I've become very invested in Lovecraft's world, and FFG's take on it in particular. The promise of an LoTR style game in that universe was beyond exciting.

Finally after months of wondering and checking everyday for the official announcement, it happened. And now that we've had a meager amount of information provided to us I can honestly say I have never been more excited for a new game than I am for this one. Here are five reasons why:

[Warning: constant comparisons and references to LoTR LCG to follow. Apologies but it's my frame of reference.]

1. Getting in on the ground floor. It's always exciting to be able to jump in on something right at the beginning. When I found LoTR it was just starting it's second cycle so I already had a bunch of stuff to catch up on. And I did catch up immediately, which meant I kind of missed out on the early days of being super limited in what decks I could build or what quests I could play. I'm really looking forward to exploring the first few adventures over and over again while we wait for the cycle to start. I'm also actually pretty excited to have a very limited pool of cards to use in decks. That should make each release that much more exciting.

2. The pedigree of the designers. This game was designed by Nate French and Matt Newman. For those who don't know that is the original designer of LoTR LCG, and a current lead developer respectively. It should be obvious by now that this makes me very happy. But it's not just because these guys have both been instrumental in making what I think is the best game I've ever played. It's also because of who they are. They're both gamers first. From what I've heard from interviews they have a somewhat similar story in that they were each just super into a game (Nate was Game of Thrones and Matt was LoTR) and that led to them becoming designers at FFG. So they bring such a great background and perspective into these types of card games.

3. Learning from past mistakes. Speaking of the pedigree of the designers, they both have tons of experience in making a cooperative LCG. As great as LoTR LCG is, it's not perfect. There has been need to errata cards, clarify rules, and clean up some ambiguities in the language used on the cards. The knowledge gained from years of tweaking and perfecting that system is only going to benefit this game from day one, and get better from there.

But I'm not only talking about the mistakes of the past made by the designers, but the ones I made as well. Not rules mistakes so much, but in the way I approached the game. I can look back and see a few things I wish I had done a little differently when I was first getting into LoTR. For example, I wish I had spent more time with the core set. Since I had a whole cycle's worth of cards day 1 I just blew through each quest as fast as I could beat it and moved on. I also tended to ignore many of the core set player cards that maybe weren't that great compared to some that had since been released, but in the context of the core set they served a purpose. I've always felt like I kind of missed out on the chance to use some of those. I know I could go back and play "progression" style but I'm not good at limiting myself so it just wouldn't be the same.

The other thing I want to avoid this time around is letting myself be too influenced by others' opinions about cards. Having gone back and listened to old episodes of LoTR podcasts I've realized how much my opinions about certain aspects of the game came from others. With this being brand new I want to try everything! Even if some cards seem to be not so good I want to give everything a shot.

4. The inevitable community. One of my favorite things about an ongoing or lifestyle type of game is the community that inevitably forms around it. And with this being a cooperative game that community automatically divorces itself from some of the nonsense that can crop up surrounding a competitive game. If the amazing community that came up around LoTR is any indication then there may be a host of wonderful blogs, podcasts, and just general forum chatter in our future that will enhance the experience of playing this game so much. As much as I love playing the game, getting to participate with so many kind and fun and enthusiastic people takes it to a whole new level.

5. The game looks awesome (obviously). For as great as all that other stuff sounds, none of it would matter if the game didn't look good. But it does look good. It looks amazing actually. Now that we've gotten a small taste of the gameplay thanks to the demo reports from Gen Con it looks like it's absolutely going to live up to the hype I built in my mind with the promise of one leaked picture. Some things I really like about it:

- The art and layout of the cards is fantastic. LoTR has spoiled me on a good looking game and this will stand up right next to it.

- The RPG aspect of playing one character and building that character's deck over time sounds so fun. I liked it in the Pathfinder ACG but the gameplay didn't really hold up for me. It was fine but not great. Here I think it's going to work a lot better for me because...

- The gameplay itself looks sick. The 3 action per turn system is phenomenal. So different from every other game like this. [Edit: Android: Netrunner uses a similar system.] It almost gives it a euro game feel in the sense that you really have to manage your actions and be efficient. I love euro games so I couldn't be more thrilled.

- I love the token bag system. I know some people think it's going to be fiddly and maybe it will be but I don't care. For all the different ways it can be customized and changed up for different scenarios I just think it's awesome.

- The campaign system is really intriguing. I haven't delved into Lotr's campaign yet as I want to wait til it's all available before I get started. But here it's campaign from day one. The potential for awesome stories coming out of this game is high.

- The world it's set in. The reason I like AH and Elder Sign so much is as much to do with the characters and places as it is the games themselves. I've really fallen in love with the city of Arkham and its inhabitants. In this game we're going to be able to get to know these people in a way we never have before. I'm not terribly familiar with the characters in the base box but I greatly look forward to the day when I get Amanda Sharpe, Harvey Walters, and Kate Winthrop.

- It's just different from every other game like this. They've looked at all the other card games and truly made something unique in a crowded market. From what I've seen this won't feel like Magic or LoTR or Pathfinder or any other game I've played at least.

So there it is. I've just preordered my core sets, hundreds of sleeves and the promise of the best game I've played yet. Overhyped doesn't begin to cover it, but that's ok. I'm a man of faith in general, and when it comes to this game I think it's safe to put our faith in FFG and Mr's French and Newman. Let the waiting begin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm excited for this game as well. For a lot of the same reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll add:

Being able to play a single character (making it feel more RPG-like).

Not having to completely rebuild the deck between adventures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its funny, I'm not a huge fan of LCGs (or CCGs) mostly because I don't find deck construction that much fun. But I'm having tons of fun with Warhammer Quest ACG and since it draws inspiration from LoTR LCG I was contemplating picking that up as well, but was daunted by the amount of content and also I'm not a super fan of the theme.

Decided to wait to see what Gen Con turned up and bam, this drops. This is the setting for me. Pre-ordered it as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am so ready for this one to come out! I have steered away from card games for a while now but this one I have to play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cafin8d wrote:
Its funny, I'm not a huge fan of LCGs (or CCGs) mostly because I don't find deck construction that much fun. But I'm having tons of fun with Warhammer Quest ACG and since it draws inspiration from LoTR LCG I was contemplating picking that up as well, but was daunted by the amount of content and also I'm not a super fan of the theme.

Decided to wait to see what Gen Con turned up and bam, this drops. This is the setting for me. Pre-ordered it as well.

If you don't like deck construction skip LoTR LCG, it requires you to constantly tweak and tune your deck, sometimes even completely rebuild it for each scenario. I sold it cause I was building my decks more than I was playing the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmathias wrote:
If you don't like deck construction skip LoTR LCG, it requires you to constantly tweak and tune your deck, sometimes even completely rebuild it for each scenario.

Good to know. My aborted plan for LoTR was (since there's so much community around it) was to see if I could netdeck it.

But since (as Richard noted above) it appears that the deck rebuild might be reduced in Arkham, I've high hopes it will be a good fit for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ioticus
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What does "netdeck it" mean?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Netdecking is when instead of designing your own decks, you download deck listings made by other players and use those decks instead.

It's fairly common, particularly among casual or new players who may not feel comfortable designing decks themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cafin8d wrote:
jmathias wrote:
If you don't like deck construction skip LoTR LCG, it requires you to constantly tweak and tune your deck, sometimes even completely rebuild it for each scenario.

Good to know. My aborted plan for LoTR was (since there's so much community around it) was to see if I could netdeck it.

But since (as Richard noted above) it appears that the deck rebuild might be reduced in Arkham, I've high hopes it will be a good fit for me.

Oh no! The last thing I would ever want to do is start a thread where someone is dissuaded from trying LoTR!

But yeah if you don't want to build decks that's probably not the game for you. This one could be though! I agree that deck building doesn't sound too intensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember when Chess was about to come out, that was exciting!

But in the more recent eras, AH: the Card Game sounds like it might be pretty good. Looking forwards to it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
toliveischrist77 wrote:
Oh no! The last thing I would ever want to do is start a thread where someone is dissuaded from trying LoTR!

But yeah if you don't want to build decks that's probably not the game for you. This one could be though! I agree that deck building doesn't sound too intensive.

LOL, no worries, I had already decided to give it a pass after the Arkham news landed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wall
Australia
Forest Lake
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am cautiously optimistic about this. I was hyped as hell for the Warhammer Quest ACG, but it turned out to be a pile of hot garbage, and superficially this seems to have some similarities, but I'll be picking it up and taking it for a spin regardless. I'm a huge LotR LCG fan but am getting pretty burned out on it, so it will be nice to shift worlds and hopefully rediscover some of that excitement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
toliveischrist77 wrote:
- The gameplay itself looks sick. The 3 action per turn system is phenomenal. So different from every other game like this.

Just a side note. This is taken pretty much directly from Android: Netrunner.

But I agree that it is a great system.

And I am also very much looking forward to Arkham Horror: The Card Game. It looks so amazing and everything I have seen so far is just great.

I also love the fact, that it is not just a LotR reskin, but an entirely new game (certainly with a lot of similarities to the LotR LCG and WHW:TACG).

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oleg volobujev
msg tools
mbmb
Im big fan of lotr lcg and EH. This game looks awesome . cannot wait to put my hands on it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Cain
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Agreed with everything, OP! I've always been enthralled by the idea of the LoTR LCG, but never bought in because (a) I'm not a huge fan of the LoTR universe, and (b) the sheer number of existing cards was a little overwhelming. AH remedies both, day 1 buy for me as well!

I am really excited for the chaos bag system. The dynamic difficulty is great, and I can't wait to see the card designs they come up with to interact with it. Unlike other posters, I don't think a bag is any more "fiddly" than dice, and for some reason it just feels more ominous to reach in and pull out your fate.

Triple agree on the point about the cards being beautiful. The graphic design alone is almost enough to justify the purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
toliveischrist77 wrote:
- The gameplay itself looks sick. The 3 action per turn system is phenomenal. So different from every other game like this.

Just a side note. This is taken pretty much directly from Android: Netrunner.

Oh, so like, what I should have said was: "so different from every other game like this, except for one of the most popular games available" blush

Well shoot. Can't play all the games I guess lol. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll edit the original so I don't look so dumb .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Shanowitz
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
toliveischrist77 wrote:
1. Getting in on the ground floor.

This is one of the only things that I'm not crazy about. Later printings will contain erratta and clarified wording on the cards and us early adopters will eventually have an inferior version of the game.

Other than that, this is my most anticipated game in a long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theaaron wrote:
us early adopters will eventually have an inferior version of the game.

You mean limited special edition, right If only first edition board games with mistakes would appreciate like a misprinted coin or a first edition book...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theaaron wrote:
toliveischrist77 wrote:

This is one of the only things that I'm not crazy about. Later printings will contain erratta and clarified wording on the cards and us early adopters will eventually have an inferior version of the game.

Good point. Hopefully the lessons learned from LotR and the other LCG's they've worked on will help keep that kind of stuff to a minimum.

I wonder how Game of Thrones Second Edition and Warhammer Conquest have been in that respect. They're pretty recent games that were designed in the newer era of LCG's. Does anyone know if they've been rife with errata's and rewordings?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theaaron wrote:
toliveischrist77 wrote:

Agree but for entirely different reasons. The worst part about being on the ground floor is that it will take forever for the card pool to grow. By *next* November there will start to be enough cards that you can do some good deck building and a decent collection of adventures. That's just how much time it takes for expansions to come out. In a few years it will be even better. The earlier you get in, the longer it takes to get there.

Errata is in a separate document so it's independent of what printing you have. Even if there is errata, that doesn't mean they will update the physical cards. They usually have not in their other LCGs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Shanowitz
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
Even if there is errata, that doesn't mean they will update the physical cards. They usually have not in their other LCGs.

I've most recently been getting into the LotR LCG and it has a ton of cards that were physically updated. But maybe it just seems like a lot relative to the huge card pool that spans several years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg Bauer
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really excited for this one, too. But for a different reason than the ones I read before: the more "free lore" than with LOTR. The thing is, I damn well know my Tolkien, so some card combinations just rub me the wrong way. Like putting Steward of Gondor on Celeborn to get more ressources to run out more elves. It just feels icky. Same with the upcoming "Strider" card, which would be so super cool in my Gandalf+Elrond two-man team, but well, I will have to overcome some very big thematic hurdles to put it on Elrond, even though that guy really yearns for multiple actions a round (and the light of valinor is in another deck).

AH:LCG will let me build crazy powerful decks when the cards are there to just pummel adventures with, without any mental restrictions of the lore, because quite frankly I don't care about canonical cthulhu stuff, I just see a bunch of dudes and dudettes, punching monsters

That, and that deck construction seems to be more casual with smaller deck sizes and smaller multiple-card-numbers (only 2 of each max), which should make it all a bit easier to get into, so I have a chance to get it to the table with one of my game groups. But even if not, it probably can tun into a fun solo game alongside my favorite LOTR:LCG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco MacDaddy
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm also incredibly excited for AH:LCG for many of the reasons you mention, but I must mention that some of the stuff said in this thread re: LOTR:LCG doesn't sound right to me, and could unnecessarily put people off the game.

I'm often encountering the argument that you must rebuild your deck to suit each quest. This is lunacy! I seldom change decks, almost never tweak one once it's stable, and I confidently play all quests without fear of loss. I still lose, of course, but I win more often than I lose, and all quests are beatable (in my experience) with any well balanced deck. I have the whole collection, including Nightmare packs, and I say again: I almost never deck build! Just because you CAN rebuild to suit each quest, doesn't mean you HAVE to.

I build decks when I want to try some cool new tricks, not because of any necessity pre-baked into the game.

Ok rant over. Back to obsessively reading stuff about AH:LCG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dratsabius wrote:
I'm also incredibly excited for AH:LCG for many of the reasons you mention, but I must mention that some of the stuff said in this thread re: LOTR:LCG doesn't sound right to me, and could unnecessarily put people off the game.

I'm often encountering the argument that you must rebuild your deck to suit each quest. This is lunacy! I seldom change decks, almost never tweak one once it's stable, and I confidently play all quests without fear of loss. I still lose, of course, but I win more often than I lose, and all quests are beatable (in my experience) with any well balanced deck. I have the whole collection, including Nightmare packs, and I say again: I almost never deck build! Just because you CAN rebuild to suit each quest, doesn't mean you HAVE to.

I build decks when I want to try some cool new tricks, not because of any necessity pre-baked into the game.

Ok rant over. Back to obsessively reading stuff about AH:LCG!

Haha amen brother! Like I said in a post above, the last thing I ever wanted to do was somehow create an environment where it became LotR Vs. AH! It's truly a wonderful game, and you're right, there's no need to rebuild your deck between every quest. Sometimes you might need to tweak a bit. Some quests require more healing or more questing or more defense than others, but it's rarely a full rewrite.

I love the Lord of the Rings LCG and certainly don't plan to stop loving it when this comes out. I will simply have two games I love more than all the rest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.