$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 104.71

6,558 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
41.3% of Goal | left

Support:

Kevin C
United States
Stafford
TX
flag msg tools
Howdy!

These past few days, I've been working on a coop AI web app for Imperial Assault using RedJak7's system as a basis.

https://kckaiwei.github.io/AutomatedEmperor/

Currently, I have support for the Core set, and am working on GUI, as well as including expansion content. AVP Packs also work now, as well as Unique Reward Characters!

I plan on including a built in tracker for player loadout, probably using some export save/load system to keep it web based, cross-platform and lightweight, but that's way down the road.

I know there's an official app on the way, but I recently bought Imperial Assault and couldn't wait to play it coop, so wrote a web app (more platforms supported)

I've only tested it on a few missions and would like more testers!

Let me know of any suggestions or clarifications I should make on my app.

Also, for those on Android or Windows phone, here's an offline app. Still working on mobile layout since my responsive design turned out not very responsive

https://build.phonegap.com/apps/2205211/share

Thanks!
Kevin
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giannis T
Greece
Thessaloniki
EVOSMOS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You are awesome this is great... keep up the great work... i really loved it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshal Anderson
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I be geeky and ask what language you have written it in?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C
United States
Stafford
TX
flag msg tools
HTML, CSS, Javascript, not even JQuery

Not the best, I know. But, I wanted maximum support for platforms iOS, Android, PC, Mac, etc, so yea. Also, never written in javascript before, but this was put together in about 2 days. Also all written in Notepad++ since I usually write backend, and wasn't sure what was a good editor for web (apart from Dreamweaver, which I last used like 8 years ago), so just used Notepad, since I've written sites with just it before. If you know a good one, I'm open to suggestions. Preferably free

Working on polishing it, and cleaning the code after I have max functionality. I left some functions open in anticipation for the addons/expansions but then changed how I wanted to incorporate them about halfway, so need to rewrite anyways xD

Planned on using just the html and include styles and scripts, but realized I should've used a separate .js since the code grew larger than I expected. Originally wanted an offline easy version, so hardcoded a lot of values in for quicker processing on low-end devices, but dynamic could've saved me some time

Also, found out there's an Imperial Variant, so I need to add that once I'm done, probably toggled by some sort of slider, and using hidden properties similar to my modal right now.

Source code is open if you want to look; a little messy but sectioned well, and commented like Hell since I'm using it to teach my friend who wants to be a web developer. She's working on the CSS mostly, so it'll start looking a lot better in the days to come. Probably will give her the task of the logic for the Imperial Variant since it should be similar to the current variant.

Well, that's enough of my justifying my hasty coding If you have suggestions from looking at the source, feel free to criticize, or suggest better ways to write certain functions.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rodriguez
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for putting in the effort! i'm currently using the raiv variant and we love it but anything that makes running the AI easier is very appreciated.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Klinkowski
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks great, can`t wait to try it out.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C
United States
Stafford
TX
flag msg tools
Yea, the Imperial version is on my todo list, after this has all the intended features.

Only found out about it after releasing this. Saw that the Emperor variant was updated in 2016, so figured it was most used/recent.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sparky Sparks
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Good work! I like having the rules in a handy tab, good for us lazy people. Get the expansion missions in there and I'll be really impressed!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C
United States
Stafford
TX
flag msg tools
I actually have the framework for it, and tried to put in the expansion missions. I don't own it all, and referencing the Imperial Assault Wiki was bad since it lists missions that aren't actually in the expansions, messing me up.

Know where I can find a proper mission list?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sparky Sparks
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
whitesymphonia wrote:
I actually have the framework for it, and tried to put in the expansion missions. I don't own it all, and referencing the Imperial Assault Wiki was bad since it lists missions that aren't actually in the expansions, messing me up.

Know where I can find a proper mission list?


All i own is Twin Shadows and Hoth. Is that helpful?

Also, i was using your app in conjunction with Tabletop Simulator when the update came up thanks for your hard work!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Bohde
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whitesymphonia wrote:
I actually have the framework for it, and tried to put in the expansion missions. I don't own it all, and referencing the Imperial Assault Wiki was bad since it lists missions that aren't actually in the expansions, messing me up.

Know where I can find a proper mission list?


I own all of the expansions produced so far... message me with what info you need, and I'll be glad to help.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C
United States
Stafford
TX
flag msg tools
Actually I found it somewhere online, so it's fully updated now!
Thanks though!

Android link:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kckaiwei.A...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sparky Sparks
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Kevin, the card graphic for "Target of Oppertunity" Core Mission is not displaying. I'm running Chrome if that makes any difference
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C
United States
Stafford
TX
flag msg tools
Thank you for the feedback!

Turns out I failed to capitalize an "o", haha.

Appreciate it, it should be working now!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wallwork
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please forgive my ignorance but does this replace the need to print the cards from the Automated Emperor variant? Does it allow you to play solo?

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mårten Cederholm
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it's my resolution (1366x7768) and Chrome, but I had to go to 75% zoom to see everything (including being able to close windows).

Like I said, it's probably just me since no one else commenting on it .

Great work though
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C
United States
Stafford
TX
flag msg tools
tasmanuk wrote:
Please forgive my ignorance but does this replace the need to print the cards from the Automated Emperor variant? Does it allow you to play solo?



Yep, you no longer need to print cards, and you can play solo, just run 4 characters yourself.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C
United States
Stafford
TX
flag msg tools
MuRRe wrote:
Maybe it's my resolution (1366x7768) and Chrome, but I had to go to 75% zoom to see everything (including being able to close windows).

Like I said, it's probably just me since no one else commenting on it .

Great work though


Might not be just you, I've been having trouble with messing with resolutions (mostly mobile). I'm using chrome myself, and having no problems, but just because it works for me....

Wrangling with CSS is a pain in the ass for me, since I'm usually a back-end dev, but I roped a friend into helping, who should be able to work it out better than me.

Think you can get me a screenshot, MuRRe? I suspect the "X" for the pop up isn't showing up to be clicked on in your screen, but more details would help a lot!

Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mårten Cederholm
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whitesymphonia wrote:
MuRRe wrote:
Maybe it's my resolution (1366x7768) and Chrome, but I had to go to 75% zoom to see everything (including being able to close windows).

Like I said, it's probably just me since no one else commenting on it .

Great work though


Might not be just you, I've been having trouble with messing with resolutions (mostly mobile). I'm using chrome myself, and having no problems, but just because it works for me....

Wrangling with CSS is a pain in the ass for me, since I'm usually a back-end dev, but I roped a friend into helping, who should be able to work it out better than me.

Think you can get me a screenshot, MuRRe? I suspect the "X" for the pop up isn't showing up to be clicked on in your screen, but more details would help a lot!

Thanks!





First one is 100% second is 75%
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C
United States
Stafford
TX
flag msg tools
MuRRe wrote:
whitesymphonia wrote:
MuRRe wrote:
Maybe it's my resolution (1366x7768) and Chrome, but I had to go to 75% zoom to see everything (including being able to close windows).

Like I said, it's probably just me since no one else commenting on it .

Great work though


Might not be just you, I've been having trouble with messing with resolutions (mostly mobile). I'm using chrome myself, and having no problems, but just because it works for me....

Wrangling with CSS is a pain in the ass for me, since I'm usually a back-end dev, but I roped a friend into helping, who should be able to work it out better than me.

Think you can get me a screenshot, MuRRe? I suspect the "X" for the pop up isn't showing up to be clicked on in your screen, but more details would help a lot!

Thanks!





First one is 100% second is 75%


Ah, got it. I know what went wrong, I had it start at 50% down the page, but it's aligning the bottom to be at 50%, so the top sticks over the top . Should be an easyish fix when I can make it home.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wallwork
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply. So it would appear that there is no reason to not buy this game anymore then, especially as it looks like this web app is going to continue to be developed (thanks Kevin )

Just so I am clear for the RAIV system I would still need to print the cards



whitesymphonia wrote:
tasmanuk wrote:
Please forgive my ignorance but does this replace the need to print the cards from the Automated Emperor variant? Does it allow you to play solo?



Yep, you no longer need to print cards, and you can play solo, just run 4 characters yourself.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
[self-promotion]

As an aside - the latest release of the Vassal IA Campaign module includes the RAIV assets.

VASSAL: Imperial Assault - Campaign

[/self-promotion]
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C
United States
Stafford
TX
flag msg tools
a1bert wrote:
[self-promotion]

As an aside - the latest release of the Vassal IA Campaign module includes the RAIV assets.

VASSAL: Imperial Assault - Campaign

[/self-promotion]


ooooh, fancy! I don't get to play much on vassal anymore, sadly. Also, I avoided using assets from FFG, unless there was a watermark. Do you know where FFG stands on that? I would love to use more of their tiles, and cards, etc. but copyright...

Even using the deployment cards I feel is skirting the edge already :\
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
whitesymphonia wrote:
ooooh, fancy! I don't get to play much on vassal anymore, sadly.

The Vassal IA Campaign module started as a tool for the imperial player to handle Play By Forum campaigns. A few groups have used it to continue a campaign when some members have moved far away. It's still mainly for PBF (and solo), but maturing to make online play viable.

whitesymphonia wrote:
Also, I avoided using assets from FFG, unless there was a watermark. Do you know where FFG stands on that? I would love to use more of their tiles, and cards, etc. but copyright...

Don't ask because FFG cannot give permission (due to LFL/Disney), attach FFG and LFL copyright notices, have low resolution unusable for physical reproduction, playing any campaign missions requires owning the campaign book and/or rulesheets. A lot of the cards are from FFG preview articles. Both the Skirmish and Campaign Vassal modules are considered promotion by the maintainers of the respective modules. If FFG/LFL/Disney disagrees, then there's little to do other than comply.

Some FFG games have gotten official permission in the past provided card text is blanked, at least from the most recent releases.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C
United States
Stafford
TX
flag msg tools
a1bert wrote:
whitesymphonia wrote:
ooooh, fancy! I don't get to play much on vassal anymore, sadly.

The Vassal IA Campaign module started as a tool for the imperial player to handle Play By Forum campaigns. A few groups have used it to continue a campaign when some members have moved far away. It's still mainly for PBF (and solo), but maturing to make online play viable.

whitesymphonia wrote:
Also, I avoided using assets from FFG, unless there was a watermark. Do you know where FFG stands on that? I would love to use more of their tiles, and cards, etc. but copyright...

Don't ask because FFG cannot give permission (due to LFL/Disney), attach FFG and LFL copyright notices, have low resolution unusable for physical reproduction, playing any campaign missions requires owning the campaign book and/or rulesheets. A lot of the cards are from FFG preview articles. Both the Skirmish and Campaign Vassal modules are considered promotion by the maintainers of the respective modules. If FFG/LFL/Disney disagrees, then there's little to do other than comply.

Some FFG games have gotten official permission in the past provided card text is blanked, at least from the most recent releases.


Got it, thanks for the advice. Unusable for physical reproduction sounds like a good rule of thumb.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.