Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » General

Subject: Dice or No Dice in Star Trek Ascendancy??? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Marshall
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Okay everyone, between the last post and the aforementioned Youtube stream that makes two people who've already said they received no dice inside the box with Star Trek Ascendancy. Rewinding to the beginning of the Youtube video (which you can see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RztYlJtEsIA&feature=youtu.be ), I read the "Box Contains" list of contents in the white box on the bottom right side of the back, and no dice are mentioned. However, the video author said the manual specifically mentions the use of die.

So which is it? Is Star Trek Ascendancy supposed to come with dice? If so (and it obviously isn't, at least for some unfortunate buyers), then GF9 has a definite problem on their hands here. I pre-ordered the game and both of its expansions and have to say it wouldn't go over well to pay that kind of money for an incomplete product.

I'd greatly appreciate feedback from anyone who's gotten a copy and/or seen/played the game to get a concrete answer to this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the dice custom? If they are, that's a problem. If they are just standard dice, we've all got plenty to play the game for now until GF9 can send replacements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
There are supposed to be dice in the game but they were left out accidentally. When I picked up my copy at Gen Con they gave me the dice in a separate bag.

The dice are standard except for one that only has results of 2-4 (used to determine the length of warp paths).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Marshall
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Thanks for the quick replies, guys. Hopefully since they're apparently aware of the situation this will be rectified by the time the game ships out to retailers and distributors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mundane wrote:
There are supposed to be dice in the game but they were left out accidentally. When I picked up my copy at Gen Con they gave me the dice in a separate bag.

The dice are standard except for one that only has results of 2-4 (used to determine the length of warp paths).

i had a friend pick up my copy, i will contact him to see if they gave him some dice.

in the meantime, does anyone know the distribution of the warp die? is it 2-2-3-3-4-4 or something else? everything else is a standard D6
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Hughes
United States
Loveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
Keep flying.
mbmbmbmbmb
Klaxas wrote:
Mundane wrote:

i had a friend pick up my copy, i will contact him to see if they gave him some dice.

in the meantime, does anyone know the distribution of the warp die? is it 2-2-3-3-4-4 or something else? everything else is a standard D6

It is 2-2-3-3-4-4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
its strange that they missed out on the dice?!
is this for all copies or only some?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Marshall
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
I just checked back at GF9's STA website and it clearly shows blue and white dice. So that answers that question. Now we hope they can address the issue before launch later this month (assuming this doesn't cause a delay, but better that than everyone receiving incomplete copies).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goo How many dice are supposed to be included?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
goo How many dice are supposed to be included?

10 regular dice and one space lane die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Byer
United States
Fishers
IN
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Our copy was missing dice as well. This seems to be a common theme with GF9 releases at gencon. I remember they gave me some "replacement" components when I bought the Sons of Anarchy game a few years back too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Maiz
United States
Palmyra
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you picked up your copy at gencon, they gave you the dice when you checked out. If you did not get them, send them an email and they will send you the dice. They usually are good with that stuff and customer service.

I would guess it had to do with getting copies out to gencon in time to sell instead of holding up production for 10D6 to be included in the game. They probably did a bulk purchase of dice to hand out at Gencon along witht he space lane die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goo My friend who picked up the game on Thursday morning got no separate dice. He'll be here with the box on Wednesday, so I can see what the story is. If anyone did get the dice inside their box, please let us know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Palmer
United States
Fenton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The dice did not make it into the box for these early convention copies. I picked up my copy around noon on Thursday and they were putting a set of the dice in the bag with the game because of this assembly error. If you bought it at GenCon, they should have given you the dice as well because they are not in the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gale Force Nine LLC
United States
Earlysville
Virginia
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The dice were not ready in time to be packed with the batch of Star Trek: Ascendancy that shipped early in time to debut at Gen Con 2016. Once the dice were ready, we had those flown in to have at the show. Everyone who purchased a copy of the game should have received a small bag with 10 blue six-sided dice and 1 special Space Lane die when they paid for the game. We tried to be very diligent about that.

If you are missing your dice, please check your bags from the show to ensure that that they did not get misplaced. If you didn’t receive your dice or cannot find them, please send us e-mail at customerservice@battlefront.co.nz ; be sure to include a shipping address and let us know you bought the game at Gen Con.

In the meantime, the game only uses standard six-sided dice to play and the Space Lane die has facings of 2-2-3-3-4-4, so a standard die can be used to determine Space Lane length with a roll of 1 – 2 equaling a 2 length Space Lane, 3 – 4 equaling a 3 length, and 5 – 6 equaling a 4 length Space Lane.

Of course the general release of the game will include the dice in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.