Subject: Siege assault , Expand, and Tax Bonus rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I perform a siege assault that successfully removed all defenders of a claimed city, then is the city now unclaimed?

This becomes important if I then expand into the city. If it is considered unclaimed then I can collect the Tax bonus.

I believe this is the correct interpretation of the rule but I was just checking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Rosenberg
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a good question. I think a reasonable interpretation is what you suggest: that the next player to occupy that city gets the city revenue upon taking it.

To support that interpretation: if your siege weapons eliminate the defenders, and then another full round goes by, and a third player occupies that city, I think it would be seen as taking an unoccupied city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe Carrillo
United States
Tuscola
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason - you've got it right

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm not sure that this is quite so cut-and-dried. The rules say that you "Collect the city's Tax Value in coins from the reserve as a bonus for being the first player to place a crown on that city." (emphasis mine). So from that wording, I would think that the Tax Value bonus for each city can only ever be claimed once.

Later on, under the "Simultaneous Elimination" we're told that any crown present when simultaneous elimination occurs should go back to the reserve, which then to me supports the opposite interpretation - that you can get the Tax Value bonus multiple times.

So it's not clear. To be honest, I'd missed that the crown should return to the reserve - I thought they were markers to show that a city had already been claimed at least once. Otherwise, what are they for? I can't think of anything else, except decoration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe Carrillo
United States
Tuscola
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy, I still believe Jason got it right and that's also how I interpret the rules. And you are also right in that they are purely decorative. It would have been more visually appealing if each army had its own color-coded set of crowns... I would've preferred that over the score track with the rather tall and large banners.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Each to their own.

For what it's worth, I'll continue to play according to my interpretation. I don't think it matters that much anyway, to be honest - I doubt this particular scenario happens all that much in a typical game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The situation came up in our first game. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sure - it'll happen. But will it happen much, especially if you're aware of it? And if it does happen, will getting or not-getting the 2/3/4 coins make that much of a difference to the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe Carrillo
United States
Tuscola
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only had it happen once in four games, but getting those few extra coins might be what's needed to buy a Crown card and winning the game. So yes, it might make a difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Rosenberg
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having read the conflicting evidence from the rules, I think this is an area that the designer needs to clarify. In the meantime, either interpretation seems reasonable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MercifulBiscuit wrote:
I'm not sure that this is quite so cut-and-dried. The rules say that you "Collect the city's Tax Value in coins from the reserve as a bonus for being the first player to place a crown on that city." (emphasis mine). So from that wording, I would think that the Tax Value bonus for each city can only ever be claimed once.

I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive, but it certainly sounds from this like only the first player gets the tax. I guess the aim is to encourage rapid expansion.

Pepe, what makes you think otherwise?

I guess you could interpret it as being 'the first player to claim it since it was unclaimed'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe Carrillo
United States
Tuscola
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Mark, I'm currently hundreds of miles from my game but going from memory... I believe the rules mention returning the city tiles/crowns when losing a city. That implies to me that such cities are open for re-capture, thus re-claiming city tiles and the bonus tax. I suppose it's one of those things everyone should agree on as the rules could've been more specific. But as Andy said, to each their own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I received the game today.

On page 7, it says under 'steps for kingdom placement', "The tax value is collected as a bonus each time you place a crown on a city".

That settles it for me: I'm pretty sure now you get the bonus if you claim an unclaimed city, even if it had previously been claimed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe Carrillo
United States
Tuscola
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMT wrote:
I received the game today.

On page 7, it says under 'steps for kingdom placement', "The tax value is collected as a bonus each time you place a crown on a city".

That settles it for me: I'm pretty sure now you get the bonus if you claim an unclaimed city, even if it had previously been claimed.

OK Mark, I'd say we're on the 'same page' :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.