Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Infi
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I would think that sets of "7 unique" is harder to do than 3 pairs which is harder than 4 of a kind. But the VP for those sets is exactly the opposite and rewards the smaller/simpler sets with a lot more points per card.

I played a 2-player game today and even though I collected and turned in a lot more cards than my friend (I got four of "7 unique" + one "3 pairs") I still lost because my friend made simpler and smaller sets which gave her more points per card.

Is this inverse balance of VP intentional and if yes, why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
When you play a while you will notice that if you only go after the dedications with the least cards spent, you only score 5-6 on average, and the rounds are limited, and thus the number of dedications you can make will limit your maximum points. You will need one or two high-point dedications.

Otherwise, yes, go for the most points per card if you have a choice.

Also, you will learn to starve your opponents of the colors they would need for four-of-a-kind by keeping 4 (or more) of them without returning them to the supply. If you use such a color for dedication, you want to get the card back by placing a suitable tile afterwards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Board Game
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
When you play a while you will notice that if you only go after the dedications with the least cards spent, you only score 5-6 on average, and the rounds are limited, and thus the number of dedications you can make will limit your maximum points. You will need one or two high-point dedications.

Otherwise, yes, go for the most points per card if you have a choice.

Also, you will learn to starve your opponents of the colors they would need for four-of-a-kind by keeping 4 (or more) of them without returning them to the supply. If you use such a color for dedication, you want to get the card back by placing a suitable tile afterwards.

4 of a kind is almost always the best scoring option, currently. It is fairly easy to get 2-3 different colors of 3 of a kind. Playing platforms and playing on platforms will get you the favors to score 4 of a kind consistently enough to win against most opponents. Both the set of 7 and the 3 pair quickly descend below the 1:1 ratio.

That being said. If I have the set of 7 just because it turned out that way, I'll play it regardless of what the points are. As Pasi said, there are so many rounds, each scoring opportunity is valuable; it's a scoring opportunity. If I had a better scoring opportunity I would use that one instead.

In general, you don't go after the 6 and 7 card scoring opportunities. It's very difficult for opponents to block you on several different colors at once, and if they're spending their time doing that, they're not playing optimally anyways.

Scoring is about maximizing those scoring opportunities you have. So, take the most efficient route to victory. That's going to involve some initial scuffling over 4 of a kind followed by a more nuanced game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.