The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Lotr and Mage Knight. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Walt B
msg tools
mbmb
So sitting on a Sunday evening..
So my first card based games I purchased recently at the same time.

So I was curious people's thoughts on these two titles?

Do folks play both? Prefer one over the other?
Just curious.. different animals I know..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly B
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both, I like them equally. Both are very satisfying for solo play though I prefer groups with LotR. Mage Knight has always been more of a solo experience for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The DaveL
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to agree with happycatmachine... Both are really good. I've only played two games of Mage Knight that weren't solo, and I think it plays great that way. I've played LotR solo many times, but most certainly like it more when it is duo (or up to four, though that is an extreme rarity), instead of managing two decks at the same time by myself.

Concerning which I, personally, prefer, I'd say LotR... But, that is only because I really dig the way the scenarios progress along the way. In terms of which mechanics I prefer, both are terrific. Not sure if I could easily make a choice for one over the other...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Hillier
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played both, but ultimately settled on Mage Knight. To keep it short, I love the puzzle nature of Mage Knight, plus the fact that you will *always* finish the game, even if your score is crap. With LOTR, the puzzle is in building your deck before the scenario. If you build it right, you stand a good chance of winning. If not, you've already lost, but it will take you an hour to find out. Plus, when you lose, you just lose, all the progress is gone. At least with MK, if you do poorly, you still finish the game and just get a bad score.

LOTR had too much overhead with deck building between scenarios, and made it really hard to keep one deck for all scenarios. Even though I loved the art of LOTR, especially the fact that it isn't based on the movies, I just couldn't get into the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Santiago
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are wonderful. I purchased each of these early into the hobby and I've never considered getting rid of either, nor will I. You're right in that both are different animals, but they will satisfy a different itch respectively.

Mage Knight has the exploration as the map opens up, and will have you adjusting and re-adjusting your strategy as you go. The push and pull is so very fulfilling, especially when you manage to defeat that pain in the ass dragon sitting on the hill after you fought your way through the mud.

LOTR LCG is mainly different in the meta game IMO. You know what you're going up against (unless you don't peak at the scenario) and if you fail, you head back to your card library with your tail between your legs and pride just a little shaken. This game does the LOTR universe justice in staying true to the lore, the fantastic art giving shape to Tolkien's work, and the way it captures the struggle and tension of the events from Middle Earth.

Buckle up man, it's going to be awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Titus M
msg tools
mbmb
I also bought both early into the hobby and I prefer LOTR, hands down. Mage Knight forces you to act as efficiently as possible with the cards in your hand, but those cards are fairly restricted in agency. You might end up drawing an amazing spell with no black mana to trigger the needed effect, or a great attack card with no way to move into the city, etc. It is an interesting puzzle, certainly, but I found it a bit sterile and the limited hand size and number of rounds often keeps you from realizing the potential of your deck. I think the game relies too much on the random draws that create the world, since the tokens and hexes are quite limited. The game felt surprisingly samey after a half dozen plays.

The LotR LCG is similar in the emotional payout when you pull off some impossible feat, but it is much more dynamic in the types of challenges it offers and the methods of surmounting them. If you simply don't have the money to invest in any adventure packs, the games might offer similar amounts of space to explore. But if you get hooked on LotR you'll find an incredible variety of gameplay to explore in just the first cycle of adventure packs.

Most of my fun with MK was in creating the world as I explored, but that wore out after repeat plays. With LotR, I still remember my first crushing loss of the Return to Mirkwood quest, and my first narrow win, and the feeling of just barely pulling it off was QUITE a high. Similar statements apply to most of the quests I've played. I'm also new to deckbuilding, so there are totally unexplored strategies still just waiting in the core set cardpool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Deever
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mb
I enjoy both, but LotR has a much more forgiving learning curve in my opinion. Mage Knight isn't hard once you have the rules down, but it can be a steep learning experience your first couple of plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Christensen
United States
SLC
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy and play both for different reasons as many others have stated. LotR will break your wallet though. I'm afraid to tally up how much I've spent on those cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark williams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Off topic and hi jacking OP so I apologies in advance.. Whilst talking about solo play I am currently in a situation where this is the only viable option for me of date. What other solo games do people recommend which can be prepared/set up fairly easily and completed in an hour or so. Your suggestions would be very welcome, cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly B
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gadger wrote:
Off topic and hi jacking OP so I apologies in advance.. Whilst talking about solo play I am currently in a situation where this is the only viable option for me of date. What other solo games do people recommend which can be prepared/set up fairly easily and completed in an hour or so. Your suggestions would be very welcome, cheers.

I'd recommend Hostage Negotiator. It's quick setup and intensity make it fun.

For longer setup times: Dawn of the Zeds second edition. Tons of depth and variant play give this game a lot of shelf life.

Check Ricky Royal's top solo games on YouTube as well. He lists pretty much all my faves though I do prefer the company of others when I play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark williams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks for that I will check them out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P Santos
United States
LAS VEGAS
Nevada
flag msg tools
I vastly prefer Lotr. Disappointed with MageKnight.

I actually decided to buy MageKnight as I've noticed I've already spent about $200 on LoTR and it can be a money sink. I thought MK would be that game where the basic game would provide me lots of replayability (as compared to LoTR APs which are costly). Turned out MK was not for me. Found the combat to be static. You see the combat info in front of you and you would already know who would win, depending on the cards you have in your hand, even before the combat has started. I missed the 'Shadow cards' unpredictability in LoTR. Besides, your MK character cannot die. You just get a low score. That absence of failure is a turn off for me.

MK takes too long as well, the setup, cleanup of the game. Solo game for me could take up to 4 hrs, from setup to storage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.