New Bedford» Forums » Rules

Subject: Solitaire game with promo tiles? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Elizabeth Nugent

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play the solitaire game with the four White Whale tiles, which whales do the other captains prefer? How about the Castaway and the Ambergris? In the game I just played against Starbuck, I decided that he literally takes "the most valuable whale available," so he wants the blue whale in all circumstances, will take the white whale if there are no sperm whales available (but will prefer a normal sperm whale to the white whale), and he will never take the Castaway or the Ambergris. I'm not sure that any of these decisions were the right ones. He hooked a blue whale out at the 6 spot, and his boat then just plodded on in without catching anything else. I think this is the only reason I beat him. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
That's how I intended it. A captain might take the castaway or ambergris instead of empty ocean, but not in place of a whale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elizabeth Nugent

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick response!

My other question is whether there is a rule about which boat moves when a captain has both of them at sea and chooses the Lighthouse. I usually look at both ships, and if moving one of them will change the order of picking whales, I choose that one. If one will actually get an extra turn of fishing and the other won't, I choose the one that will. But I'm not sure how to value the move when either boat would change the order of picking whales, say from ABAB to BAAB or to ABBA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I made a note about that at some point in development. I'll have to see where I wrote it.
Intent is to choose whichever makes it harder for the player. My guess is that the following rule works in 99.9% of situations: move the captain's farther out ship, unless moving the inner ship would change the order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.