Dave Breen
United States
Monroe
New York
flag msg tools
publisher
Losing Builds Character
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone know if there will be any type of conversion kit to allow use of the plastic miniatures from the 1st edition? I'm assuming that there will be new sculpts in 2nd edition. I believe they did a conversion kit for Descent when they moved to 2nd edition - maybe they will for this game too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Simcoe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The new game is not really a 2nd edition from what I can see and is a whole new game. This version is supposed to be more of a straight shoot-em up as opposed to a scenario based exploration game like the original edition.

I can't see the need of a conversion kit as I am pretty sure it would include most of the same miniatures (re-sculpted to a lot better quality and maybe even a slightly different scale) in the base game and inevitable expansions anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering all evidence of the previous version vanished from the FFG site years ago, and considering it's been 12 years, I'm gonna say "there won't be."

This is probably a vastly different game. There are new sculpts, and most of them are the same monsters as the first board game. That sounds incompatible to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Other than the webpages themselves, the Doom stuff is still there, just gotta hunt for it (i.e. archived forums, "dead" PDF section). But yeah, Doom is dead. Long live DOOM!

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on what I read about how the game plays (read: not even close to the original) + the fact that we are talking about a licensed game which includes the same named monsters from two videogames of the same series with a decade's worth of upgraded graphics but created by different companies, I can safely say that the chances of a conversion hit happening are about 0,000001% meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
concord
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
So your saying there's a chance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Scratch
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Piggybacking on the unfortunate likelihood that there will NOT be a conversion kit... Consider the context of the Doom board games and the 1st and 2nd editions of Descent.

Descent 1e and 2e basically eclipsed. I can't recall if there was ACTUAL overlap between the life cycle of the two, or if it was just VERY close. FFG was in an unfortunate position where they needed to save a little face with their longterm customers who were upset about recently produced products being made 'obsolete' in a sense by the new edition. A $20 conversion kit that could move literally EVERY previous monster and hero into 2e was a good move to appease the masses and get them to try out the newer product.

I the case of Doom, you're looking at more than a decade between the original and the new one -not just between releases, but it's been roughly a decade since the original was even in print anymore. The original is becoming more like a collector's item at this point, and the few people who have it probably AREN'T thinking "Hey! They made my decade-old product obsolete already!"

This combined with the aforementioned potential licensing issue mentioned in an earlier response, means that it's hard to imagine FFG would find much profit in after investing the time to produce a conversion kit -even if they played it "safe" and went with a print on demand product as they have with other products in the past, I question whether they'd break even after you consider product licensing and designer hours to create the print files. There's just not enough demand.

That's not to say that I wouldn't buy it -I'd be all over that, to see what sort of new gameplay varieties it might open up. But I would be shocked if someone(s) here on BGG don't produce their own pretty quickly after the new game releases. So either way, the few of us interested will likely have something to screw around with there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh, it's also because Doom 1st Ed is based on Doom 3. It has Cacodemons. But Doom 2nd Ed is based on DOOM and it also has Cacodemons. The two worlds just don't collide. In Descent, 1st and 2nd Ed had thematic overlaps, heroes monsters could exist in both. That is just not the case for these Dooms...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.