Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Levi McBryde
United States
Neosho
MO
flag msg tools
mbmb
Gen Con was great this year. Well, so my wife says anyway.

I was unable to go so my wife went without me. While there she picked up a copy of Bring Your Own Book. On her way back home she stopped off at her sister's house to spend a day with her. As I called her tonight before bedding down, I heard an exuberant amount of cackling in the background. Her sister's family is usually very reserved. So, needless to say, the ruckus intrigued me. I inquired as to the sounds and was informed that they were in the middle of playing BYOB. Then, it was decided that if I wanted to play we could easily play over the phone. They were already a round in so I picked up a familiar H. P. Lovecraft story and joined in.

When I asked them what books they were using, I was a little shocked. My wife was using a copy of Alistair Cooke's America. My brother-in-law was using a home decor design book called The Better Bath. My sister-in-law was using The 1984 Olympics Handbook. Of course I was using Hydra by H. P. Lovecraft. Wow! What a range of books. I wasn't sure if it would work well with the game. How wrong I was.

The quotes are surprisingly easy to find. When looking for a quote for the clue "Something you may overhear at the White House," there were too many funny excerpts to choose from. The winning quote was from my book "What happened after this is confused and hazy." But there were equally good quotes from the other books. Even the home decor guide was scoring some great quotes. It seems there is no wrong book.

The telecommute aspect of this particular play session didn't seem to detract from the game play whatsoever. Although, in our frenzy of laughter and owing to the fact that it was our first time playing, we did forget to exchange books at the three point mark. That minor oversight may have aided me in my victory as well. Had we remembered to exchange books, I would have had to choose another book on my end instead of trading with someone.

I must say, I am not usually a fan of "party games." I prefer games with more methodical strategy than constant laughter. However, I thoroughly enjoyed this game. I look forward to trying this game out with more people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.