Subject: I don't get how you feed your populations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Togu Oppusunggu
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
I tried to go through the game just to get a feel for it. But one thing I just don't get. You add two food tokens to the water hole at the beginning of your turn. But that's it for non-carnivore food supply. How can you ever feed a population of non-carnivores beyond two population if you only have two food tokens at the water hole every turn?

Is there a missing rule? In a review I read in this forum, it seems that the reviewer said you can discard a card to add two food tokens to the water hole. Is that supposed to be in the rules, because I certainly don't see it in the published rule book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Long Neck helps a bunch.

It requires a different mindset from standard Evolution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are several ways to feed:

A 2 food tokens from the watering hole

B Long Neck which allows you to take 3 food from the excess pile for that specific species it is attached to before that specific species feeds.

C You attach a Carnivore trait to one of your species and have it attack a legal target to gain 2 food from the excess pile. One way to ensure your carnivore is fed is to NOT attach defensive traits to the mandatory 1 population species you must create after adding 2 food to the watering hole. This is a guaranteed 2 food for the carnivore if you don't have cards in hand/attached to current species to attack an opponent's species.

D Fat Tissue allows you the option to take 2 food per population from the watering hole when feeding.

E Scavenger allows you to take 1 food from the excess pile when a carnivore attacks.

After, a few rounds my wife and I actually start leaving food in the watering hole because we have Long Neck species with 3 population that feed from the excess pile and carnivores constantly evolving to attack each other's species or our own single population species. It is common for us to leave 4-6 food on the watering hole until one of us gets the right cards in our hand to clean out the watering hole. This is where Fat Tissue and Scavenger really come into play.

EDIT: in regards to your question regarding discarding a card to get 2 food, I believe the original poster was referring to the base game and NOT Evolution: the Beginning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
You get 2 guaranteed Food each turn. To score more than 2 you'll need one of the following:

1) Long Neck
2) Scavenger
3) Carnivore
4) Someone leaves food at the Watering Hole
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Togu Oppusunggu
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Thanks very much for such a comprehensive answer, Robert, and thanks too Dominic for the confirmation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Togu Oppusunggu
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
I'm still curious what the "two food tokens at the waterhole" limitation is supposed to simulate, since it would seem that sources of plant food is abundant in real life. Is the limitation just a game mechanic to make the game work (so that's it's competitive, for example)? Or is the food limitation also supposed to simulate real-life evolution dynamics to some extent, for example that it would show how a diversity of species arises even when the food source is limited?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
The specific food that a species eats is (for the most part) limited for any given population in an given ecosystem. The population explodes if food is abundant until some sort of equilibrium is found. The 2 Food each turn mechanic is a high level simplification of that concept designed to be easy to teach and lead to fun and interesting decisions without bogging the game down in fiddly accounting procedures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.