Subject: When should I start using the armor kits? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Sutherland
United States
Union City
Michigan
flag msg tools
I know stuff like this has been asked before, but I finally got my hands on this total gem of a game at Gen Con on Thursday morning. Currently starting up 2 campaigns for different groups of friends, furthest group is only at LY4. So far, we've been using the default/starting survivor models for our game, with the exception of one person playing a female character with a sword, so I had them use the female intimacy model as a closer fit. My original plan was to just go through the sessions, and as people in the game it "milestones" like completing an armor set, I'd make a mini that night representing their character very closely for use at the next session.

I know they aren't necessary to the game itself by any means, but I'm very picky when it comes to miniatures and want to make sure each player is represented well. I also picked up the Slenderman expansion, which also comes with a few parts so characters can use his weapons on their models as well. Because of all of this and wondering how I should go about it, I wanted to get some discussion with more senior players and hear what others did/are doing for handling building new survivors?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
Weeeeeeellllllllll, it's a problem.

If you're trying to go for straight 1:1 representations of your survivors, you'll probably want to investigate the magnetic route. It's expensive, time-consuming, and prone to have pieces go missing if you're not careful with storage, but there are threads here and in the Reddit page where you might find tips.

Personally, I've never subbed in armor kit survivors. I keep the four base models in the game and we use the character cards to assign gear grids and character sheets so that there is as little confusion as possible.

The armor kits I use to make nice looking minis in interesting poses. Made about 20 so far, and have given a few more away as little gifts to people I know. Still have something like more than half of the kits to play with, too, so it's a nice relaxation thing.

I particularly like the pikeman. Made him last night from the Silk Armor Kit.

I would suggest that if you go the magnetic route: try practicing the techniques on the unarmored survivors kit first. There's lots and lots of various bits and pieces to practice on and perfect your technique before trying the actual armor pieces themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trewartha
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Saoshyant 4329 wrote:
My original plan was to just go through the sessions, and as people in the game it "milestones" like completing an armor set, I'd make a mini that night representing their character very closely for use at the next session.

This is pretty much what I am doing. After we complete a kit in game we essentially 'unlock' the miniature. Usually by the time you get the last piece you have a decent idea of what weapons you like so it is fairly easy to build weapons to match as well. Then you still have 3 spare models from the kit to make into other survivors later on if you discover a new favourite build.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
TR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IASeldon wrote:
(...)

(...)
I would suggest that if you go the magnetic route: (...)

Just to say it clearly, you attached the magnets to the bottom of the bases, right? I never thought of it that way
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My group went through a whole campaign before making more than the monopose guys, since we weren't that familiar with the game.

We're now something like a dozen campaigns in and still learning new builds.

Since I think magnetizing just ends up with models that look like fally-aparty action figures, my two suggestions:

1-rule of cool and WYSIWYG-be-damned
2-build sets of gear that you regularly use and/or that obviously go well with the gear (ex: katars/daggers on the lion set; reach on anything that forces you to go in a straight line)

At this point, I've got at least 2 of every armor set built, representing either gear we've found works well with them, or gear that's good at killing whatever produces it, plus a few that just look cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmit Svenson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
My experience has been that when people choose minis to represent their survivors, they mostly look for minis that match their survivors' gender and weapons. Instead of sweating about which armor kits to build, perhaps you could focus on building one male and one female mini for each weapon type:

Axe
Bow
Club
Dagger
Grand Weapon
Katar
Shield
Spear
Sword
Throwing
Twilight Sword
Whip

You can go further and have both two-handed club and dual wielding clubs, etc. Sprinkle shields around liberally, and add weapons to people's belts and backs and at their feet. You'll find that certain weapons match up naturally to certain armor sets: bone darts (throwing) to unarmored/rawhide, leather shields to leather armor, beast knuckles to screaming fur armor and so on. Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Lane
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
t3clis wrote:
IASeldon wrote:
(...)

(...)
I would suggest that if you go the magnetic route: (...)

Just to say it clearly, you attached the magnets to the bottom of the bases, right? I never thought of it that way

I just figured he was from Australia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen Man
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
IASeldon wrote:
Weeeeeeellllllllll, it's a problem.

If you're trying to go for straight 1:1 representations of your survivors, you'll probably want to investigate the magnetic route. It's expensive, time-consuming, and prone to have pieces go missing if you're not careful with storage, but there are threads here and in the Reddit page where you might find tips.

Personally, I've never subbed in armor kit survivors. I keep the four base models in the game and we use the character cards to assign gear grids and character sheets so that there is as little confusion as possible.

The armor kits I use to make nice looking minis in interesting poses. Made about 20 so far, and have given a few more away as little gifts to people I know. Still have something like more than half of the kits to play with, too, so it's a nice relaxation thing.

I particularly like the pikeman. Made him last night from the Silk Armor Kit.

I would suggest that if you go the magnetic route: try practicing the techniques on the unarmored survivors kit first. There's lots and lots of various bits and pieces to practice on and perfect your technique before trying the actual armor pieces themselves.

Wow those miniatures defy gravity!

(Ta-diiiiiish I'll be here all night. Thank you very much)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Montgomery Mullen
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've been using my sets to build a 'survivor hall of fame'. One or two of the most notable survivors from each settlement get immortalized forever in mini form. Normally we just use whatever for survivor minis in-game, often the starting four.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.