Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
On page 8 of the rulebook pdf, I noticed tonight that the "Home Enmity" section of the province board appears to have two spots for upgrades. I couldn't find anything to explain when or how these boxes would come into play, and I thought it rather curious.

Anyone notice something I missed here or have any guesses what an upgrade to this box could mean?

My best guess: Possibly a discount on enmity spent on province raids equal to the amount filled in?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Cross
South Africa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I assume you mean the two empty squares?

I originally thought that those were for other players' permanent emnity stickers if the game ends with some of their tokens there. On further reflection there are six squares on your province space on the board for that (and in any event, other players' enmity tokens end up in your "At War With" space, not your "Home Emnity" space), so you are correct - those spaces must be for some upgrade.

Well spotted!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yup. Those were exactly what I was referring to. I briefly considered that they might be for permanent enmity as well, then like you realized those go on the board. But they look like the kind of squares you fill in with a marker or pen to mark upgrades like the other spots on the province board we already know about.
A mystery!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good catch; I missed those! As you noted, the permanent enmity go on the province box, and in any case these two boxes don't have the double-slash mark that other enmity boxes have. They do look a lot like the fill-in boxes for the ship upgrades. Perhaps a later rule adds an "Enmity" attribute of some sort? Possibly something like the "Vengeful" appellation, but something that every player has access to? That aside, it seems like the most likely purpose is as a spot for a sticker of some sort. Perhaps something to do with additional starting enmity, so that you can be more of a jerk? (I believe that was Rob's term, but I could be misremembering.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Becq wrote:
Good catch; I missed those!

The way the reference number in the manual partly obscures them, it's almost as if they didn't want us to see them! arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Martell
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmb
Becq wrote:
Perhaps something to do with additional starting enmity, so that you can be more of a jerk? (I believe that was Rob's term, but I could be misremembering.)

If I had to put a bet on, this would be odds on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stack
msg tools
mb
KoalaXav wrote:
On page 8 of the rulebook pdf, I noticed tonight that the "Home Enmity" section of the province board appears to have two spots for upgrades. I couldn't find anything to explain when or how these boxes would come into play, and I thought it rather curious.

Anyone notice something I missed here or have any guesses what an upgrade to this box could mean?

My best guess: Possibly a discount on enmity spent on province raids equal to the amount filled in?

This has come up in our game and we have found out what it is as one player got to fill one in so far. I won't say what they are other than they are enmity related, but not another form of permanent enmity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
tjstack wrote:
KoalaXav wrote:

This has come up in our game and we have found out what it is as one player got to fill one in so far. I won't say what they are other than they are enmity related, but not another form of permanent enmity.

Interesting...buying extra enmity tokens is still the theory I'm leaning toward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KoalaXav wrote:
Interesting...buying extra enmity tokens is still the theory I'm leaning toward.

Maybe "enmity recovery" -- basically the ability to take back enmity during winter (like the appellation)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stack
msg tools
mb
Becq wrote:
KoalaXav wrote:

Maybe "enmity recovery" -- basically the ability to take back enmity during winter (like the appellation)?

Nope & nope, though Becq, you're getting warmer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tjstack wrote:
Becq wrote:
KoalaXav wrote:

Decreased enmity cost when raiding (KoalaXav suggested this earlier)? That would mesh well with having the Savage as your favorite adviser, but I would think that is would trivialize island raids (ie, no enmity cost) unless you had a minimum enmity cost, which would make it useless for raiding islands.

Maybe *increased* enmity costs for province raids against you? But that doesn't fit well with your "getting warmer" comment...

Enmity recover during end game, either as a flat value or bonus dice toward recovering enmity?

Oh, and if someone does guess it, might want to put the confirmation in spoiler tags.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stack
msg tools
mb
Becq wrote:
tjstack wrote:
Becq wrote:
KoalaXav wrote:

Decreased enmity cost when raiding (KoalaXav suggested this earlier)? That would mesh well with having the Savage as your favorite adviser, but I would think that is would trivialize island raids (ie, no enmity cost) unless you had a minimum enmity cost, which would make it useless for raiding islands.

Maybe *increased* enmity costs for province raids against you? But that doesn't fit well with your "getting warmer" comment...

Enmity recover during end game, either as a flat value or bonus dice toward recovering enmity?

Oh, and if someone does guess it, might want to put the confirmation in spoiler tags.

You got it as one of those multiple guesses, lol.

Answer:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
It's an automatic success towards recovering enmity at the end of a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.