$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
43.1% of Goal | left

Support:

Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
I have never played Mansions of Madness and currently have the second edition on the way and am excited for it. But then I realized... would it be best to wait for the upcoming collections of tiles and monsters from the first edition to add to the game before playing my first official game?

From what I've heard with each scenario, your first playthrough is the best one. I don't know if I would want to squander that potential truth if I didn't have all the possible pieces yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Niederman
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
My first playthrough it's hardly ever the best. Usually doesn't get good till the third try through. The monsters from first edition just add a little variety to the mix, but don't really affect the playability at all. If you're thinking you're first playthrough will be the best then you have nothing to worry about using only second edition pieces, though is with about paying so much for a game you'd only play four times..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Cheow
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mb
i would say that since u have no experience in MOM in the first place, just go ahead and play it. im sure u will get surprised from the plot and all. afterwards the expansions can then help with replay-ability by increasing the amount of variability the app can produce.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played 2 scenarios and haven't seen any tile changes. There've been a few different monsters from 1st Ed, but not enough to make an impactful difference. I'd say just play it. My guess is more 1st Ed stuff will appear on future quests.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheese Burglar
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
No. I've played with 1e included and without and there's virtually no difference in playthrough. You'll get basically the same enjoyment (and frustration) with or without.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd just go ahead and play it. It won't effect the replayability of your first couple of games in any given scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nephi somerville
United Kingdom
stevenson
AYRSHIRE
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I played the first scenario and have everything mansions and we only used 1 second edition tile or monster it was awesome

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Purcell
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
"Because the ultimate purpose of crime is to establish the endless empire of crime."
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheeseburglar wrote:
No. I've played with 1e included and without and there's virtually no difference in playthrough. You'll get basically the same enjoyment (and frustration) with or without.

This quote actually worries me. You mean to say that there's no emotional difference between fighting a mi-go and fighting a Deep One, etc.? That sounds very rote and mechanical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
GorillaGrody wrote:
Cheeseburglar wrote:

This quote actually worries me. You mean to say that there's no emotional difference between fighting a mi-go and fighting a Deep One, etc.? That sounds very rote and mechanical.

What kind of emotional difference are you looking for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Purcell
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
"Because the ultimate purpose of crime is to establish the endless empire of crime."
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
GorillaGrody wrote:
Cheeseburglar wrote:

I mean to say that these games seem to depend on thematic engagement. The description above makes it sound like a matter of indifference as to whether you're fighting one type of monster over another. I take it for granted that thematic engagement is essentially emotional. It sounds like fighting a monster in MoM is just, "make horror check, whittle away health points, move forward."

By comparison, in IA, it feels thematically different to play as Greedo vs playing as Darth Vader. The mechanisms are still up front, but there are clever, engaging differences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
GorillaGrody wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
GorillaGrody wrote:
Cheeseburglar wrote:

I mean to say that these games seem to depend on thematic engagement. The description above makes it sound like a matter of indifference as to whether you're fighting one type of monster over another. I take it for granted that thematic engagement is essentially emotional.

I get the impression from the poster quoted above that fighting a monster in MoM is just, "make horror check, whittle away health points, move forward."

By comparison, in IA, it feels thematically different to play as Greedo vs playing as Darth Vader. The mechanisms are still up front, but there are clever, engaging differences.

FWIW, we played a scenario recently where a Crawling One appeared. Fighting it was kinda gross, as all the flavour text from the battle described horrible, slimy things the CO was doing.

It's similar for other monsters too - the flavour text changes depending on the monster. Is that what you were looking for?

Mechanically though, they are all very similar, though some attacks may be more effective than others depending on the monster. For example:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Spells can work better than physical attacks against ghosts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played enough to know yet, and don't want to spoil any surprises, but I assume the app might generate different events/tests/whatever based upon the particular monster attacking or being attacked/evaded.

EDIT: ... in other words, the app would be responsible for making each monster *feel* different.

EDIT: Yes, like this... (posted while I was typing!)
bleached_lizard wrote:
...the flavour text changes depending on the monster. Is that what you were looking for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Purcell
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:

It's similar for other monsters too - the flavour text changes depending on the monster. Is that what you were looking for?

Mechanically though, they are all very similar, though some attacks may be more effective than others depending on the monster.

Flavor text can sometimes hinder more than it helps. I'm a SF writer, and if too much of a game depends on text written by game designers, I start to think I would have been better off reading a book instead.

Mine arrives today. I will adjust my expectations accordingly, but hope for the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E.

Virginia
msg tools
mb
GorillaGrody wrote:
Cheeseburglar wrote:

I understand the Hound of Tindalos acts as it should in this game, which is way better than it was handled in MoM 1st edition (we used house rules in our games).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It might also be that the "alternate" monsters they select are close enough in theme that it doesn't have an emotional impact. In last night's game, a mob spawned a Maniac (from 1st Ed) and later a Deep One Hybrid (from 2nd Ed). Both were close enough in theme that the impact on the game would not have changed had the mod spawned 2 Hybrids.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GorillaGrody wrote:

Flavor text can sometimes hinder more than it helps. I'm a SF writer, and if too much of a game depends on text written by game designers, I start to think I would have been better off reading a book instead.

Mine arrives today. I will adjust my expectations accordingly, but hope for the best.

Be sure to share your impressions. I, for one, would be interested in reading them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Purcell
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
GorillaGrody wrote:

Be sure to share your impressions. I, for one, would be interested in reading them.

It'll be a bit, as I prepare two sets of miniatures for painting, but I'll be back to share my impressions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
lilikin wrote:
I played the first scenario and have everything mansions and we only used 1 second edition tile or monster it was awesome

That's impossible. Scenario 1 uses at least 2 2nd edition monsters every single time:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Hunting Horror in the kitchen and Priest of Dagon as the villain

The others monsters are pseudo-random and having 1st edition included certainly improves the variety a lot (but a few of the selections are also a little less thematic).

2 of the 6 possible building configurations use 1st edition tiles, but in both instances a couple of 2nd edition tiles are also used. 1 of those 2 configurations also uses a 1st edition expansion tile.

Touching on what people are saying above: a few of the monsters have a unique kind of feel (from what I have encountered: crawling ones, zombies, riots) but for the most part they're mechanically more or less the same, especially the humanoid ones. It's more just cosmetic variety than gameplay variety. I wish they'd done more to differentiate them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I've played 2 games with 2e on it's own so far (first scenario twice) and it's been great. I just added my first edition components recently and looking forward to seeing what it adds.

But to answer the OP, 2e by itself is fine from what I've played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.