5,909 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
37.2% of Goal | 26 Days Left

Support:

Stephen M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

NEXT SESSION >>> Wednesday August 10, 2016.
GAMES >>> There are usually 50-100 games to choose from.
WHERE? >>> THE LOUNGE of the Canadian Legion Branch 351 - Centertown, 330 Kent Street (The Montgomery Legion)
WHEN? >>> Gaming starts at 6pm and goes until 10
PARKING: Kent and Somerset have parking, as well as the nearest side streets which are Gilmour, Maclaren, Cooper and Lisgar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Pilot
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am still trying to figure out whether I should back Near and Far but I still haven't played Above and Below. Joe, would you be kind enough to bring it tomorrow. I've been admiring Ryan Laukat's work from afar but am reluctant to back a NaF without having played its spiritual predecessor.

Thanks

And if someone sees something in my collection they'd like me to bring, just let me know before 4pm tomorrow and I will bring it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will do.

I had just gotten on the computer to back Near and Far. Sharon seemed to like the storytelling aspect of Above and Below and didn't wince too much at Tales of the Arabian Nights on Sunday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great turnout last night!

Patrick, Diane, Danny and I started out with Above and Below. I immediately grabbed an extra bed and started growing my little community and grabbed a cider and a coin. Diane purchased a couple of buildings including the "train to ready" building and started amassing some goods. Patrick wanted to get into the exploration and successfully did so. Danny, Danny started by buying a building and, I think, unsucessfully explored. Over the course of the game Diane kept amassing workers and goods from buildings. Fortunately, she didn't have a ton of beds but she was still able to get a lot of value out of those workers. I spent the early part of the game pushing myself to 6 beds and workers and then focused largely on exploring. Once I decided on this strategy I purchased a building giving me 1VP/explored cave. Later, I was thankful I was the first in turn order and snagged the VP for workers right before Diane's turn. Then I started grabbing some workers. She finished by taking a bigger VP building which gave her some base VPs and VPs for her amethysts and paper. Danny kept building and exploring. He amassed a good stash of goods and held them until the end to maximize his points on the Advancement track. In his last explore he hit it big and made a ton of cash, enough to buy him a big VP building. Patrick had a bit of trouble getting himself going and without much cash found it hard to get some big VP buildings. In the end, Danny's big VP building was almost enough to catch me. Very fun, with lots of exploration (we almost ran out of exploration cards).

Next, Patrick, Nick and I played Istanbul (with Istanbul: Mocha & Baksheesh). Patrick went for the post office and an enounter with the Governor. Nick jumped to the Black market where he grabbed some goods and encountered the smuggler which helped him get his engine running. I was last to go and the "best" spots were already taken. I jumped on a coffee bag and bonus card at the caravansary. Then, I quickly spent my next two turns spending all my 4 lire. Nick quickly got two additions to his wagon and both the blue and yellow mosque tiles. I got more coffee and was able to get both coffee tiles. Nick quickly got to 5 gems (6 needed in the expansion) by using the coffee house while Patrick and I were at 4 or 5. Then, Patrick and I swere able to push to 4 gems. And, I saw the path that would get me to 6 gems in 3 moves. But, it looked like Nick would be be able to win. I took a detour to the jail and sent my assistant to get the barrier and put it in Nick's path. I then got my penultimate gem, pushing the price beyond what Nick could pay. I was set to win by getting my last wheelbarrow expansion but with a lucky Guild card draw using a bonus card, Patrick was able to put the barrier between the gem dealer (where I was) and the Wainwright (where I needed to go). I now knew that Nick (having got more cash from the small market) would win in two turns. I could also get my sixth gem in 2 turns also and I was last player. I move to the small market (paying Nick 2), Patrick gets his 5th gem, Nick gets his 6th gem from the gem dealer and I get my 6th from the Wainwright. Nick wins by 1 lire in the tiebreak. Well played!

Lots of other games played. I saw Five Tribes, Ingenious, Splendor, and Biblios on the table.

I won't be able to make it next week so I'll see you all in 2 weeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.