$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 106.91

6,658 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
42% of Goal | left

Support:

Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb


Police officers going to black's residences and serving them requiring that the people go to court to prove their residency or lose their right to vote.

Successfully suppressed about 20% of the black vote. Now being sued.


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
Just to make it a less partisan source, here's the NYT

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/01/us/critics-see-efforts-to-...

Quote:
SPARTA, Ga. — When the deputy sheriff’s patrol cruiser pulled up beside him as he walked down Broad Street at sunset last August, Martee Flournoy, a 32-year-old black man, was both confused and rattled. He had reason: In this corner of rural Georgia, African-Americans are arrested at a rate far higher than that of whites.

But the deputy had not come to arrest Mr. Flournoy. Rather, he had come to challenge Mr. Flournoy’s right to vote.

The majority-white Hancock County Board of Elections and Registration was systematically questioning the registrations of more than 180 black Sparta citizens — a fifth of the city’s registered voters — by dispatching deputies with summonses commanding them to appear in person to prove their residence or lose their voting rights. “When I read that letter, I was kind of nervous,” Mr. Flournoy said in an interview. “I didn’t know what to do.”


Good ol' southern hospitality.
8 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
Replying to myself, for GODDAMN EMPHASIS

"by dispatching deputies with summonses commanding them to appear in person to prove their residence or lose their voting rights."

I'm sure Georgia is a very nice place, and the South has changed, but

What.

The.

FUCK.

10 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why only blacks?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Preisach
United States
East McKeesport
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Why only blacks?


That's a rhetorical question, right?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
edgerunner76 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Why only blacks?


That's a rhetorical question, right?
Not wholly, I am intrigued to see what justification anyone could come up with.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:
Just to make it a less partisan source, here's the NYT


5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
edgerunner76 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Why only blacks?


That's a rhetorical question, right?
Not wholly, I am intrigued to see what justification anyone could come up with.


The REAL reason is "they vote Democratic".

The STATED reason will be something else. I doubt they're doing the same in the leafy mostly-white Atlanta suburbs.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shouldn't be long before a conservative points out what's good for the IRS is good for the...

It's not the same, but it is a predictable comparison, then we will have multiple posts in response as to why what the IRS did seems to be wrong, but this is far, far more wrong. Not trying to poison the well, just patting my own back at how smart I am.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those who haven't watched the video, they also required voter id's and then closed DMV offices near black neighborhoods. And (I think) they also raised the prices of getting an id from what she said later in the video.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
windsagio wrote:
Just to make it a less partisan source, here's the NYT




Cute dog.

You see they have things things called shades of grey in the real world.

It's not simple black and white.

There's a continuum and the young turks rest at one point and the nyt at another. Plus the young turks are wonks who care in a wonky way while the nyt is some generic reporter that doesn't care emotionally about the issue. Heck, these days it may have even been machine generated or a wire service article.

But... seriously... cute dog.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
Shouldn't be long before a conservative points out what's good for the IRS is good for the...

It's not the same, but it is a predictable comparison, then we will have multiple posts in response as to why what the IRS did seems to be wrong, but this is far, far more wrong. Not trying to poison the well, just patting my own back at how smart I am.

What did the IRS do?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Happy Holidays! ABCDEFGHIJK MNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sued? They ought to be arrested for civil rights violations, and RICO if possible. The whole lot of them.
2 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
Sued? They ought to be arrested for civil rights violations, and RICO if possible. The whole lot of them.


The video goes into that. Apparently a recent (last several years) supreme court ruling has gutted that aspect of the civil rights act opening the door to all kinds of shenanigans.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
What did the IRS do?
Allegedly selected Conservative political groups for finance investigations and not liberal.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
sfox wrote:
What did the IRS do?
Allegedly selected Conservative political groups for finance investigations and not liberal.


Even in a 'both did it' scenario. Making applying for tax free status more cumbersome != making exercising a constitutional right more cumbersome.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
Even in a 'both did it' scenario. Making applying for tax free status more cumbersome != making exercising a constitutional right more cumbersome.
I agree, as I said in my OP, but that won't stop people making the comparison as if it is.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So in another thread someone called BS on me when I said I call shit out no matter which side does it, Well as a Republican, I say this is complete fucking bullshit and the people who did it should not only be sued but thrown in jail or whatever the maximum penalty is. Whatever cop supervisor who allowed this should be fired. Any judges that actually went along withh this should be thrown off the bench. Assuming the video and article are true(and I say assuming because I am just in shock that some idiot thought they could get away with this in this day and age).

Christ, how many levels of people did this go through and no one said, "hey guys, maybe this is a bad idea." The board of elections, the cops, the judges. Fucking ridiculous. Jesus Christ Republicans, get your shit together.
21 
 Thumb up
1.10
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Happy Holidays! ABCDEFGHIJK MNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
Tall_Walt wrote:
Sued? They ought to be arrested for civil rights violations, and RICO if possible. The whole lot of them.

The video goes into that. Apparently a recent (last several years) supreme court ruling has gutted that aspect of the civil rights act opening the door to all kinds of shenanigans.

This is not a matter of pre-clearance. This is a matter of arresting criminals who have committed crimes, not people intending to commit crimes. The 2013 decision in Shelby County v. Holder appears irrelevant. And I think the current and future USSC would support my interpretation, if it doesn't reverse Shelby County v. Holder entirely (or Congress does: the USSC only ruled that Congress needed to pass a new law). Alternatively, Justice could require pre-clearance in all states and jurisdictions, requiring pre-clearance selectively being the issue in Shelby County v. Holder.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
maxo-texas wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:
windsagio wrote:
Just to make it a less partisan source, here's the NYT




Cute dog.

You see they have things things called shades of grey in the real world.

It's not simple black and white.

There's a continuum and the young turks rest at one point and the nyt at another. Plus the young turks are wonks who care in a wonky way while the nyt is some generic reporter that doesn't care emotionally about the issue. Heck, these days it may have even been machine generated or a wire service article.

But... seriously... cute dog.


It's funny because dogs only see in black and white.
13 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
Tall_Walt wrote:
Sued? They ought to be arrested for civil rights violations, and RICO if possible. The whole lot of them.


The video goes into that. Apparently a recent (last several years) supreme court ruling has gutted that aspect of the civil rights act opening the door to all kinds of shenanigans.


That's not true. The 15th amendment clearly outlaws that behavior. Personally, I am outraged. This needs to be investigated by the FBI.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
wifwendell wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
edgerunner76 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Why only blacks?


That's a rhetorical question, right?
Not wholly, I am intrigued to see what justification anyone could come up with.


The REAL reason is "they vote Democratic".

The STATED reason will be something else. I doubt they're doing the same in the leafy mostly-white Atlanta suburbs.



Intriguing....credible cite for this assertion?


Ferret
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
Tall_Walt wrote:
Sued? They ought to be arrested for civil rights violations, and RICO if possible. The whole lot of them.

The video goes into that. Apparently a recent (last several years) supreme court ruling has gutted that aspect of the civil rights act opening the door to all kinds of shenanigans.

This is not a matter of pre-clearance. This is a matter of arresting criminals who have committed crimes, not people intending to commit crimes. The 2013 decision in Shelby County v. Holder appears irrelevant. And I think the current and future USSC would support my interpretation, if it doesn't reverse Shelby County v. Holder entirely (or Congress does: the USSC only ruled that Congress needed to pass a new law). Alternatively, Justice could require pre-clearance in all states and jurisdictions, requiring pre-clearance selectively being the issue in Shelby County v. Holder.


In this case they were not arresting black voters.

They were going to the non criminal black voter's residence and giving them a summons to require that they appear in court with a way to prove that was their residence- usually a photo id from a DMV all of which were closed in their area.

In some states, they've reduced DMV office hours to 4-5 days a year between 8am and 4pm. There are entire months where you cannot get a driver's license or ID c ard.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
So in another thread someone called BS on me when I said I call shit out no matter which side does it, Well as a Republican, I say this is complete fucking bullshit and the people who did it should not only be sued but thrown in jail or whatever the maximum penalty is. Whatever cop supervisor who allowed this should be fired. Any judges that actually went along withh this should be thrown off the bench. Assuming the video and article are true(and I say assuming because I am just in shock that some idiot thought they could get away with this in this day and age).

Christ, how many levels of people did this go through and no one said, "hey guys, maybe this is a bad idea." The board of elections, the cops, the judges. Fucking ridiculous. Jesus Christ Republicans, get your shit together.


Actually, it's pretty easy to google videos of republican officials saying openly that voter id laws will suppress 5 to 10% of votes for the democratic party. Saying they are a good idea for the republican party to use because it wins elections for them.

I recognize that you are fair minded and will try to cut you slack and give you the benefit of the doubt in other threads. Not that my opinion matters more than tits on a boar hog.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Happy Holidays! ABCDEFGHIJK MNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
In this case they were not arresting black voters.

They were going to the non criminal black voter's residence and giving them a summons to require that they appear in court with a way to prove that was their residence- usually a photo id from a DMV all of which were closed in their area.

In some states, they've reduced DMV office hours to 4-5 days a year between 8am and 4pm. There are entire months where you cannot get a driver's license or ID c ard.

Doesn't matter: it's racially-focused intimidation, harassment, an effective poll tax, etc.

This is so egregious, these Nimrods need to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, maximum sentences.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.