Star Trek Panic» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about Kirk's Special Ability rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raikken
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
My friend and I had a disagreement about the rules. On Kirk's card it says that during the Play Cards & Maneuver Phase that Kirk gets to draw 2 cards the first time he commits a card to the Mission each turn.

My take was that for every one of Kirk's turns, the first card he played which affected the mission at all (such as firing on an enemy ship) he could then draw 2 Enterprise cards. (And of course if he could not play a card at all then he would not get to draw any cards).

My friend's take was that no, it was only if I played a card specific to the Mission card, such as playing a card with the gold Commander sign that was required for that particular mission to be completed, that I could then draw 2 cards, and not just for playing any card (like firing on an enemy ship).

If anyone knows the correct way to play please let me know. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Duby
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. (Romans 10:9)
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure your friend is correct. To "Commit" a card is the specific terminology used to describe giving a card towards the completion of a mission requirement (i.e., Command, Engineering, Science, or Medical card)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raikken
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
MajorOracle wrote:
I'm pretty sure your friend is correct. To "Commit" a card is the specific terminology used to describe giving a card towards the completion of a mission requirement (i.e., Command, Engineering, Science, or Medical card)

Thanks for your response. We did play it that way when we played the game but one thing I noticed is that it seemed interpreting the rule that way instantly made Kirk pretty much the weakest character out of anyone.

Other characters (like Spock) could use their special ability just about every turn, while Kirk could use his maybe once or twice the entire mission(and if a mission does not call for a special card to be played, then he would not use his special ability at all).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Duby
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. (Romans 10:9)
mbmbmbmbmb
That's funny, I find Kirk one of the stronger characters and Spock one of the weaker characters. I think Spock and McCoy are the weakest. All the other characters I think have good abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raikken
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
MajorOracle wrote:
That's funny, I find Kirk one of the stronger characters and Spock one of the weaker characters. I think Spock and McCoy are the weakest. All the other characters I think have good abilities.

It's not that I think Kirk's abilities themselves are weak, just the fact that it seems as though he can use them a lot less than the other characters can use theirs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Yovich
United States
Arlington
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MajorOracle wrote:

This is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kent Anderson
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing 5 games of STP, I believe Captain Kirk is the weakest character. If could draw two cards per turn without restrictions then he would be tough.

Better off without him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.